Almost time for the annual OBX trip!..few pics added

joe

In 6 weeks, we will be arriving at the condo we rented in Hatteras N.C.!

12 years ago, our oldest daughter got married in the Outer Banks, and that was my first time experiencing it! What a relaxing destination! 

This will be the first time me and my wife have made the trip by ourselves. We have always gone with other family members. 2 years ago, all my daughters their husbands  and granddaughters rented an ocean front ,8 bedroom house in South NagsHead... 17 of us!!! Best vacation ever!!!

Last year my wife’s sister went with us and we stayed a little farther south in Rodanthe...again, ocean front in a 4 bedroom house...off season rates are very affordable. This year we are in a condo, further south yet, in Hatteras. I am sure I would really prefer a house, but we were in Marco Island (Florida) in January, and have a East Coast cruise planned for October (New York-to-Nova Scotia), so we had to try and save some money or we couldn’t afford the OBX too. We try to include an OBX trip every year, and have built some great memories...

anyone else (besides Bakon) spend time in the OBX? It will be bike week this year when we arrive, so I’m sure that will just add another layer of awesomeness.

:3_grin:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, joe said:

anyone else (besides Bakon) spend time in the OBX? It will be bike week this year when we arrive, so I’m sure that will just add another layer of awesomeness.

:3_grin:

I'm from North Carolina but I haven't been to the Outer Banks in a long time. 

My parents have a beach place in the southern part of NC so I go there frequently.  The cost (free) to go to the beach is nice so that is where I usually go...but the OBX is a whole different world of awesomeness.  I'm definitely jealous, Joe.  Have a great time.

• Like 1

When I read the title ....... I thought we were all invited :15_yum:

I think the warden has something in mind for us in the next month or so too. Won't be too soon to get out of this friggin winter weather right Joe?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nah haven't bin (bit far to drive an then there's the whole lack of submarine issue) but we used to have a holiday house when I was a kid and would spend easter in a 4 bedroom house with between 16 and 25 people... Best memories Eva. Now we just go to my Bros place in Port MacDonnell, cray and abalone diving in season or ocean fishing in winter... And then there's the surf.

• Like 2

My husband and I went a few years ago and stayed in a really nice b&b, went to the Wright museum, drove down to the end and back, ate some good food and enjoyed the feeling there. The one thing I came home with that I didn't expect was a badly scraped knee and shin from getting thrown repeatedly down and dragged onto the ocean floor by the incredibly rough surf. It was funny at first but after a while it got a little scary especially after a few times when I really had a hard time getting up and when I did, my leg was bleeding pretty badly.  The people are really friendly and laid back. I can see why you love going back there. have a great time again, Joe!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Is it weird that being thrown around by rough surf and reminded of how powerless we really are is my favourite part of ocean beaches.

Not at all!  It was ecstatic. Until it hurt me. Then it wasn't so ecstatic but it was still awesome (in the true meaning of the word). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

My husband and I went a few years ago and stayed in a really nice b&b, went to the Wright museum, drove down to the end and back, ate some good food and enjoyed the feeling there. The one thing I came home with that I didn't expect was a badly scraped knee and shin from getting thrown repeatedly down and dragged onto the ocean floor by the incredibly rough surf. It was funny at first but after a while it got a little scary especially after a few times when I really had a hard time getting up and when I did, my leg was bleeding pretty badly.  The people are really friendly and laid back. I can see why you love going back there. have a great time again, Joe!

When you drove down to the "end and back", thats where we will be staying this year...the only way to go farther is to take the ferry (to Ocracoke Island)

2 years ago when we were with all the girls, the last day there, the surf really got rough and I can see where a person could really take a pounding in something like that...however, most times we have been there, the ocean has been relatively calm, with the exception of the occasional "rouge" wave that hits unexpectedly ...lol...here are a few pics from previous years...

this is the granddaughters at the beach 2 years ago...we have another addition since then...the count is now 8 ;)

19149391_1758037694213050_53527369856135

this was the view from the house that year...we stayed in South Nags Head(MP18.5)

13434835_1389794814370127_32167059765482

this is a shot from the Northern Beaches (Carova)..its only accessible with a 4x4 truck....this is the area Bakon stayed in...its also where the wild Spanish Mustangs roam free..

13445287_1389504764399132_59106357431141

last years view from the deck..something I will never get tired of...This is in Rodanthe (just south of the "Inn at Rodanthe" (Richard Geer, Diane Lane movie, Nights in Rodanthe)

17553805_1701384916544447_64122604650382

17202678_1671906666158939_85275197676503

anyhow...Jo....I would love to be able to take a trip sometime to the Great Barrier Reef...its defiantly a bucket list item..

And Reci...you are soooo right...(..everyone is invited ;) )...I can NOT wait to get away from this extended winter weather we have been having...its misleading on some days...I look outside and the sun is shining and looks like a great day , however, it turns out the temps are still in the 20's!! One thing at a time i guess....In Ohio, the sun goes away in Sept. and everyday seems gray and dreary until April or May when it returns...so the sun alone is a welcoming sight...lol

Edited by joe
  • Like 5

• joe changed the title to Almost time for the annual OBX trip!..few pics added

this is a drone video taken by someone else, but shows a little of the beauty of the OBX...notice the lack of high rises and chain restaurants and hotels....everything is kept simple... Im not sure why I am promoting this...I like it the way it is...no crowds...lol.. One of the East coasts best kept secrets..

• Like 2