Question about HRT patches and lowering the dosage

bmart

Hello everyone.

I've had a questions since my quit regarding HRT Patches (specifically Nicoderm CQ). I quit on Jan 2, no smoking or dip since (fwiw quitting dip is harder than quitting smoking)... I'm doing fine but I have had a nagging question since I've stopped...

so, i do not know and cannot find detailed info about the engineering of the patches and how they actually deliver nicotine. for example, there are four layers. is the nicotine layer viscous? can it move around throughout the surface of the patch? my reason for this is the following --

can i simply peel off one half of the backing and expect to get half of the dosage of the patch? this way i can use one half of a patch at a time - and get a lower dosage.

I have 2 boxes of 21mg patches left but i don't want to throw on a whole patch if i only feel like i need a little bit. i'm sure as hell not buying another, lower step box at $40 (US).

Thanks for any input.

EDIT - I know i'm not supposed to cut them, so that is why i was curious about doing this.

Edited by bmart
  • Like 1

I'm no Dr. but I would doubt that you can reconstruct a 21 mg. patch to have it effectively deliver the recommended nicotine of say the next step down patch which I believe is 14 mg?

I had almost an entire box of 21 mg patches left when I decided to just go cold turkey instead of the patch. I ended up giving those to a smoking neighbor when they were going to be traveling a long distance by air. Yes, it cost me a few bucks (they aren't cheap where I come from either) but I was happy they went to good use anyway because .... I plan to never need them again :)

• Like 1

I can't really help you on your question (this quit was cold turkey) but.......

I have thrown away at least 3 partial boxes of patches since I became a serial quitter.

I try to look at it as   How much money has gone up in smoke in over 46 years of smoking?

I don't even think about it as wasted money - those were attempted quits that led me to my sticky quit.

What price is your health??:12_slight_smile:

• Like 2

Hi bmart. I quit with Chantix, so have no knowledge of anything NRT - but I'd like to welcome you and hope you hang around and become an active member here on Quit Train. Having the kind and caring support of these peeps who really know what you're going through, and with all the information and education to be found on here.....I guarantee it can help you achieve a lifetime quit.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your responses, very welcoming. I'm not a member of any other forum but I will probably be around here more frequently. In the beginning, places like this and even things that discussed health and the benefits of not smoking were big triggers.

Just to make things a little more clear, the patches have two pieces of cellophane on the back, just like a band-aid. I was just curious about removing one of the backings and using that sticky part, then saving the other sticky part for later. I'm trying to figure out things I can't find the answers to. For example, if i stick half of it on, am i getting half the dosage (12mg) or half the time (12hr). nothing crazy, thought someone might have had an answer.

thanks.

I'm not sure anyone on a forum like this is qualified to give you a solid, scientific answer on this. My own "opinion" is that I wouldn't mess with the patch just to save a few bucks. Why I say this? If it doesn't work, you either damage your health or, lose your quit. Is either of those possibilities worth saving a few bucks?

Also, I think you may find hanging out with other quitters like us is more beneficial than you may realize at the moment. I know for myself, I have found that supporting others over the last year and a bit has in fact helped me with my quit immensely! You get back at least as much as you give. I didn't realize that at first but in retrospect, it justifies my profile name completely :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

I have successfully cut 21mg patch into half and quarters and they work fine. 

HRT is hormone replacement therapy. NRT nicotine replacement therapy. I’d be careful with which one your using. Lol. 

lmao woops

• Haha 2

Welcome Bmart :)  I would contact a pharmacist or doctor with your question.  It's a good one, but like Rec said, no one here is really qualified to say one way or the other.  

Congratulations on your quit!  

• Like 1

I used patches for the first 3 -4 weeks of my quit. And they are brilliant so you are on a good plan. I dont think peeling one half of the patch would deliver half the nicotine, but thats just my opinion based on my imagination :15_yum: but what i have read about people doing sucessfully is reducing the amount of hours you wear the patch each day. Would that work for you? That way you are not wasting the patches/money but are reducing the nicotine. 

• Like 1