Best Quit Smoking Products?

The best for me was all the information to read that is posted on this site.  After many failed attempts using nicotine replacement products, I found that learning about & truly understanding how the addiction works on one’s brain to be the most helpful tool.  Once I understood the concept of smoking to relieve the withdrawal symptoms (as compared with for pleasure or to relieve stress or to deal with anxiety), in other words, all the reasons (excuses) my addicted brain told me that I needed to smoke for.  Once  I just accepted the fact that I was only smoking to relieve withdrawal & thus would be stuck with having to smoke every hour or two for the rest of my life UNLESS I chose to experience a “once and for all” withdrawal that would finally put an end to this cycle.   It took months; but the oldsters were right.  It really does go away with the passage of time.  The rewards are unbelievable.  The only way out of it is through it.  Read & understand the addiction & you too will find your way through it.

• Like 7

Hi unsmokeyourself & welcome! Good that you are doing some homework.  Reading here is a great start...lots of videos also!

Ice water & healthy snacks...sprinkle in some junk food that you love!

Deep breathing exercises...positive attitude....commitment...

Don't wait, over-thinking gives you too much time to chicken out.

You can do it...glad you're here...hope you stick around.:12_slight_smile:

• Like 3

Hi USY!

I'm not sure there's an "all fits one" answer to your question, if that makes sense. People are different whether they are smokers or not. Therefore, each person will react differently to a major, life changing event like quitting smoking. I'm not sure there is a right way or a less right way to quit, depending on who you are. I think whatever support you feel you need initially is fine. As long as that gets you to a point of getting off that support at some point.

This is a powerful addiction and any aid in quitting is a good thing for people to at least explore. The bottom line is ....... there's no EASY way out of this addiction. Every one of us has to do the heavy lifting at some point in order to break free of participating in this addiction.

• Like 2

It's been three months for me, not too bad. here's what I did -- 

Got a box of patches ready.
Marlboro sends out great coupons for their ecig thing. Get a unit and some of the cartridges ready (10 cartridges and a unit came out to $20 for me, i still have some 3 mos later).
I also got 5 bags of sunflower seeds.

For the first week i had the patch on each day, during cravings i had seeds. my wife and i drink frequently at a bar near here, the ecigs were a massive help while we were there (we still use them, mainly at the bar and not always). if there's a big event or party where i'll be drinking heavily, i will wear half a patch (i don't cut them, i just peel off one of the backing pieces and stick half of it on me). Probably doesn't help you at this point, but we had planned the timing for after the stress of holidays and for during the winter (we're in the North East). We don't smoke inside and it's damn cold out a lot of the time. Sounds minor but it has definitely helped a lot.

in my opinion, for the extremely bad cravings (later in your quit, use patches first) and triggers (ie. drinking at the bar or driving) the ecig things have kept me most sane. i think it's funny that, when i used to smoke, i thought they were the most ridiculous things ever.

good luck!

• Like 1

This..

On 3/13/2018 at 10:20 PM, Mollie1 said:

The best for me was all the information to read that is posted on this site.  After many failed attempts using nicotine replacement products, I found that learning about & truly understanding how the addiction works on one’s brain to be the most helpful tool.  Once I understood the concept of smoking to relieve the withdrawal symptoms (as compared with for pleasure or to relieve stress or to deal with anxiety), in other words, all the reasons (excuses) my addicted brain told me that I needed to smoke for.  Once  I just accepted the fact that I was only smoking to relieve withdrawal & thus would be stuck with having to smoke every hour or two for the rest of my life UNLESS I chose to experience a “once and for all” withdrawal that would finally put an end to this cycle.   It took months; but the oldsters were right.  It really does go away with the passage of time.  The rewards are unbelievable.  The only way out of it is through it.  Read & understand the addiction & you too will find your way through it.

• Like 1