Day 8: Getting better?

geetarsteve

So day 6 was brutal. Simply brutal. I had a few moments where it was so overwhelming I really considered just giving up, but what kept me going was knowing (I talked about this when I first started, since this is not my first attempt by a long shot) that there's no such thing as "just one": I'm choosing between going back to square one and having to do day 1-5 again, or pushing through. And that kept me going, because day 1-5 sucked and I don't want to do them again. Day 7 was also brutal, but maybe a smidge better. That made it easier to get through, as I was kind of feeling like maybe I'm through the worst of it. This morning (day 8) has been pretty good so far, but who knows what trials the rest of the day has for me. The key for me, though, is going to be continuously remembering that I am an addict; that I can never go back; and not to fall into the trap of being 10 days or two months or three years out and having a crap day and falling prey to the "just one" trap. Thanks everyone for all the help, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here without all of you.

• Like 7

Glad to hear you are still not only with us as a non-smoker but that things are starting to lighten up a little, even if it's just here and there for now. Yes, you will still face challenges for a while yet but, like we said, it DOES get better the longer you stay with it :)  I can tell you are determined to get through it Steve so just keep doing what you are doing. You are in control of this thing completely and you have learned a lot of coping techniques now so keep using those to get through the tough times.

Try and focus on all the good things you are starting to realize too. More $$ in your pocket. No stinky cig smell on you now! There's lots of GOOD things happening now too. Keep the faith Steve - one day at a time :)

• Like 3

Geetarsteve, you are so right about not wanting to go through those first days/weeks again! In the beginning of my quit I did it "one day at a time" and sometimes it felt like "one minute at a time" but thanks to drinking lots of cold water, deep breathing exercises and playing solitaire on my phone....I powered through those brutal times. No matter what trials/tribulations you go through in your life....putting a poison stick in your mouth and lighting it on fire isn't going to help you one bit!! ;)

• Like 3

Good for you Steve, sounds like you are doing everything you should be. I know everyone says this, but it does get easier. What i did early days was when i got through a tough day or moment....i really thought to myself well done for getting through that...im doing this...wooo hoooo! Getting through the tough moments is what gave me strength and confidence. So well done, you are doing this WOOOO HOOOOOO!  

• Like 2

Heh, We are “DAY6” buddies…

Oddly enough, DAY 6 was a very tough one for me. I did everything I could, pulled out all the stops. But I made it through, and I’m very proud I did.

Do whatever you have to do to not smoke. The benefits are absolutely life-changing.  Keep it up, you’ll see. 

• Like 2

Steve you are doing well on this, as said before it does get easier and the benefits more pronounced.  Yes these first 8 days as your foundation, look at what you went through and do not want to go through again -- this will propel you forward.  And remember -- One step at a time on this journey -- one day at a time.   

• Like 2

"The key for me, though, is going to be continuously remembering that I am an addict; that I can never go back"

Thats what it is, the mind is powerful. With the right mindset you'll get this and do this... Good job with winning day 6

• Like 2

Hi Steve - all good comments here.  what helped me was to visualize my quit as a vulnerable little baby or puppy that only I could protect. I would imagine myself wrapping my arms around it to protect it from any & all outside influences that might try to harm it or take it away from me.  Your quit is yours - own it; protect it; and be very proud of how it is growing a little bigger & stronger with each passing day.   

• Like 2

I think they way you are posting is of great help to anyone's quit.

All your collections of 'days' are encouraging and informative,  

thank you, they add a lot to our knowledge.

Hang in there and know it gets better, it may sometimes be a slow curve but,  you will see...it gets a lot better.