Happy Mothers Day to the Britskies!

notsmokinjo

Happy mothers day to those living on the little Islands off the coast of Europe.... Or to personalise it:

Poms: Happy Mother's Day

Scotts: Latha màthair math

Taffys: Diwrnod Mam Hapus

Micks: Lá na Máithreacha sona duit

Hope you all have a lovely day an get spoilt rotten by the little rotters.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, reciprocity said:

Hope all you Mums get spoiled on your day :21_kissing_closed_eyes:

I wonder why it's celebrate on different dates in places around the globe?

Do ya really wonder or is it a rhetorical question, cos I can answer it if ya want. Although it'd after me bedtime an I'm well caffined up so I can not guarantee the sense I will make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wee fluffy me said:

Awwwwwww thank you our world wide friends.. I also didn't know it was celebrated on different  days either Reci.. 

Jo apparently knows. Maybe she'll tell us when she wakes up?

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1

Mothers day in the UK is on a different day to pretty much the rest of the world cos it evolved from a religious holiday, Mothering Sunday, and is linked to Easter and Lent. In the UK it is the 4th Sunday if Lent or the Third Sunday before Easter (which ever is easier to remember). Anywho, Traditionally on Mothering Sunday bosses would give their staff the day off so they could return to their "mother" church to worship with their families, because these journeys might be one of the few times a year they saw their mums they would share a meal and bring flowers or the like.  So how many of you Brits went to ya mother church today?....LOL... In the US in the early 1900s the mother's groups resulting from the civil war pushed for a day to have mums recognised and while the rest of the world were slaughtering each other and trying to blow parts of Europe off the face of the world,  in 1914 they established the second Sunday of May as mothers day. So the POM's had been doing it since the middle ages an the sepos started doing in after some women's groups campaigned (yeah mothers day is an OK hallmark holiday but wouldn't ya think campaigning for the vote was more important, they didn't get that for another 6 years)...the rest of the world adopted the sepos holiday... An there ya have mothers day 101.

Edited by notsmokinjo

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

Mothers day in the UK is on a different day to pretty much the rest of the world cos it evolved from a religious holiday, Mothering Sunday, and is linked to Easter and Lent. In the UK it is the 4th Sunday if Lent or the Third Sunday before Easter (which ever is easier to remember). Anywho, Traditionally on Mothering Sunday bosses would give their staff the day off so they could return to their "mother" church to worship with their families, because these journeys might be one of the few times a year they saw their mums they would share a meal and bring flowers or the like.  So how many of you Brits went to ya mother church today?....LOL... In the US in the early 1900s the mother's groups resulting from the civil war pushed for a day to have mums recognised and while the rest of the world were slaughtering each other and trying to blow parts of Europe off the face of the world,  in 1914 they established the second Sunday of May as mothers day. So the POM's had been doing it since the middle ages an the sepos started doing in after some women's groups campaigned (yeah mothers day is an OK hallmark holiday but wouldn't ya think campaigning for the vote was more important, they didn't get that for another 6 years)...the rest of the world adopted the sepos holiday... An there ya have mothers day 101.

Geez ..... my friggin head hurts now :47_tired_face: Thanks for the lesson tho. Very informative.

And to think, I always thought it was just an excuse to lolly-gag around in bed half the day and eat bon-bons?

• Like 1