I smoked tonight (in my dream)...

Dutchess66

Can you believe this? With my anniversary in sight I dreamed I had thrown away my quit for no particular reason.

I felt very sad, but I knew there was no way back at that time. I woke up in a shock. I even smelled my fingers for traces of tobacco smell.

Thank goodness, no harm was done. But still it was a warning I think to keep up the guards.

The addiction still lives in my head somewhere, although mostly quietly these days, and then suddenly it tells me that it is still there.

Have a nice day! Smoke free of course.

Dutchess

• Like 3

That wasn't just a dream, that was a nightmare! :37_disappointed:

The addiction will live on in us forever won't it? That's okay, we now know we are stronger and smarter than it is. We choose breathing and life all over again every day.

I can't wait to celebrate with you soon!

• Like 1

You've been quit for pretty close to a year now Dutchess66 but, how long did you smoke for? 10 years, 20 years ........ longer maybe? Every single day of those years there were little imprints being made on your brain every half hour or so of your waking moments - every day of those years. Smoking related thoughts were with us all those days even though most were bubbling just under the surface of our conscious thoughts.

A short year ago, you decided to quit smoking. Your brain was suddenly super focused on all those smoking related thoughts you have battled successfully :)

It isn't surprising to me at all that any of us would have an occasional dream about smoking. It also doesn't surprise me that us smoking in those dreams would seem so normal because somewhere in your mind being a smoker is still much more "normal" than being a non-smoker. 

Of course it's a shock upon awakening with those images of yourself having smoked still there in your mind but take heart ..... it's YOU that's at the controls here in the waking world and a year ago you made the right decision to quit and you have chosen to follow that path ever since. I fully expect the in the waking world, you will continue along that path - why wouldn't you right? The longer you are a non-smoker, the further back in your mind those smoking imprints will be stored and I suspect they will fade to nothing at some point and yes, it's good to remind ourselves from time to time what we have done for ourselves and how important it is to maintain our new lives as non-smokers :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Smoking dreams are very common..although I didn't have one at all...

Your Big Day ..was probally in your thoughts ,and it got mingled in a dream...

Phew ...

I can only imagine the joy you felt...our brains sure are our worst enemies....

• Like 2

Dear friends,

Thank you all for your kind reactions. I did not write this because I felt sorry for myself. But I was somewhat surprised that even after almost one year of being smoke free, one can still dream so vivid about smoking.

Today a smoking friend and I went to the Matthäus Passion of J.S  Bach in a midieval church nearby including diner etcetera, In short: the works.

She had to smoke when there was an opportunity. I felt no regrets really. Only freedom. The concert was heaven.

Dutchess

• Like 6

I still occasionally have smoking dreams and they still freak me out.  I'm not sure if this is common for all ex-smokers but they still plague me after 3 years smoke free even though I am hardly ever tempted to smoke in the awake world anymore.

I think those dreams just show us that we are nicotine addicts and that addiction will occasionally try to mess with us.  As long as you don't light up or take another puff in the awake world, you are ok.

Congratulations on almost 1 year smoke free, Dutchess.  I feel bad for your friend who has to smoke at every opportunity but I'm glad you are embracing the freedom of being a non-smoker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm with Johnny in that I too still have smoking dreams from time to time. But just like all the other weird dreams I have I don't let it get to me. Looking forward to your anniversary :)

• Like 1

I too feel sorry for your friend.  Finding a place to smoke (opportunities) used to consume so much of my daily focus.  What an absolute joy to be free of those worries.  The concert sounds like it was a wonderful evening.  Glad you shared.

• Like 1