Tough week

Yeah, I remember time just absolutely stopping there for the first couple months of my quit. My ticker just stood still and would not move (tickers are awesome Steve, you'll love having one when the site gets them up and running again. They're a powerful motivator.).

But time IS marching on and you are getting stronger and better in your quit every hour and every day. Seven days is fantastic work! You can do this! You ARE doing this!

(P.S. Won't you fill out your quit date on your profile page? It helps everyone to know where new member is in their quit.) :12_slight_smile:

• Like 3

Each crave you beat begins to retrain your brain to acknowledge REAL rewards, life affirming rewards.

Make sure you treat yourself often.

You will never have to go through Hell week ever again, congratulations !

Please believe that it does get better, it really does.

(even though there are times when the slog seems endless)

• Like 2

Keep pushing through - you WILL get to better days.  I found going back and reading my first couple of posts helped keep me motivated and recharged the desire to quit.  

You will I'll never go through hell week again if you KTQ!! 

Yes Hell Week is tough and you are just about through it and believe me it is worth it every long second.  From this point things do get better slowly but noticeably so hang in there.  You are doing great at this time, drink lots of water, deep breathing, and remember to pledge NOPE each day.  You are doing this so keep strong.  

Really, really rough morning. Definitely the worst yet. I’m trying to bank these feelings in memory so a year from now when I’m thinking “just one”, I can remind myself of the price I have to pay and that I never want to pay it again. Really rough morning.

• Like 2

Yeah, they don't call it "Hell Week" for nothin'!  But for what it's worth...it's definitely the worst!  Not that the next few weeks are fun and games, but the first week is a doozy!  But you've made it!  Keep looking forward, and fight off the urge for that "just one" you mentioned...it's a trap!

• Like 2

nods... remembering day 3 and 4 in particular...some times we have to plod through the mire  to see what's on the other side.

Its the hardest thing I have ever done, and by far the most important.

Get well and help others if you possibly can.

You stand on the threshold of a beautiful new freedom.  

We have all been exactly where you have.

I wish you strength and wisdom

• Like 4

It's the early, trying times of one's quit that shines the spotlight on just how strong and menacing this addiction is.  You're right to want to etch these days in your memory.  They'll make the emergence to freedom more meaningful. Keep strong Steve.

Before you can break out of prison, you must realize you are locked up.

• Like 4

I've nothing meaningful to add Steve that hasn't already been said. Just wanted to let you know I'm here too lending my support while  you fight the good fight against this addiction. It WILL get better Steve. Hang in there no matter what and you too will see the other side :)

• Like 2

Congrats on getting past that first week Steve, and I'm sorry you're having a tough day today. Coming here and venting helps. I was glued to the board. I found that staying active helped keep my mind off my misery. There's lots to read and do here so have a look around. And be super proud of yourself, you're doing great! :)

• Like 4

Feel. proud Steve,you are going through the worst week...you have no nicotine in your body...why put it back ????

No such thing as one...were addicts...you have to think of all the thousands that will follow...

We have all been where you ,and understand...

Stay close...post as much as you want...do anything..there are a million things you can do..as long as smoking is not one of them ...you can do it !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geetarsteve said:

Would love the fast forward button to skip the next few weeks, but you gotta pay the price.

The price you pay during the early days of a quit has a huge return on investment.  The rough patches smooth over in time, but the benefits only continue to accumulate.

It may be hard to believe right now, but eventually you will look back on these challenging times as a positive learning experience.  You're in the thick of it, that's when solid quits are built.

"What is to give light must endure burning." --Victor Frankl

Edited by Boo
  • Like 1

Well, today was definitely the toughest. I had a few really, really rough moments but I just kept reminding myself of the truth: if I cave now, I’ll just have to pay the same price again tomorrow, with the whole week I just pushed trough wasted. About noon I got the bright idea to start guzzling Diet Coke (I never drink soda) which has been really distracting and effective. I’m basically 90% carbonated right now, but it’s getting me through. This group really helps, both because of the support, and the embarrassment of having to admit failure if I fail, and because I appreciate all the support.

• Like 4

Oh Steve great you are still with us, im weegie and a newbie too, nice to meet you. Im a wee bit ahead and a tell yi, it gets easier. Just keep doing what you ate doing, keep close to the board and you will be cool. Are you cold turkey? I used the patches and lozenges and they were brilliant for me. 

• Like 2

From a time long before I ever thought of smoking, I was taught that the first three days were the worst for breaking a smoking habit. I think my dad said that when he quit back in the 80's.

So when i finally got serious about quitting back in October, I already had it in my mind that if i could make it through three days, nothing would be as hard.

Of course about the time i started here and was saying my quit wasn't that bad, no one wanted to hear that. They probably relapsed anyways.

You are a week in. It HAS to be easier by now. Do not be one of those who goes back to smoking. If you do, you are back to square one and will wish you were still a week into quit.

Also, do not have "just one". There is no such thing as "just one" as most of us know from experience.

Also when telling people (especially real life acquaintances) that you are quitting smoking, you get to be taken serious ONE time. If you relapse and claim to be "quitting" later, everyone will think, "Let us see how long it lasts this time".

You are making headway. Don't blow it.

• Like 1

I tell myself that everytime I gave a bad day quitting, I’ve moved forward in my quit. This bad day will just be a memory and I will have a non-smoking body without any more desire to smoke. Your bad days are your friend even though you don’t realise it. 

• Like 3

I remember DAY6 being the hardest of my early days. I think I took three showers, two naps and walked the dog several times. 

I literally had an argument with myself in the mirror, no kidding…

It was brutal! But I also remember being amazed that I haven’t smoked in six days.  

You should start noticing the positive effects of quitting. Has 

your breathing improved yet?

What about your sense of smell? Focus on the good and don’t romance a cigarette and you will be fine.

Keep going! You got this! I swear to God, if I can do it, anyone can.

• Like 2