Day 5: Uggh

Day 5. Feeling crap. Headaches, tired, nauseous all week long. It' kind of like a really bad flu,  but knowing that I can head down to the store and feel better any time. And all it would cost me is my health, a small fortune, and a few lost decades where I could be watching my (very future) grandkids grow up. Uggh. Staying strong, but feeling crap.

• Like 5

Steve, it is tough going but you have the right attitude, especially your very future grandkids  -- so important.  Like Whispers stated drink plenty of cold water, really helped me and deep breathing techniques.  It does start to get better -- Keep Strong!!!

• Like 2

Hang in there Geetar! This quitting thing is rough at times. It WILL get better but you have to stick with the program completely. Your observations above are correct. You don't want to trade your future for 1 smoke which, by the way, you would regret almost immediately. You have 5 hard days invested in your quit, Make sure they count for something!! Look at it as an investment in your future good health and happiness :)

• Like 2

Congratulations on your Fifth day of Freedom, this is splendid !

5 minutes ago, geetarsteve said:

Day 5. Feeling crap. Headaches, tired, nauseous all week long. It' kind of like a really bad flu,  but knowing that I can head down to the store and feel better any time. And all it would cost me is my health, a small fortune, and a few lost decades where I could be watching my (very future) grandkids grow up. Uggh. Staying strong, but feeling crap.

This is a full out LIE that addiction is telling you.  You won't feel better after a smoke, you will just start up the addiction again.

Stay strong, g.  Reward yourself.

You could very well have 'a really bad flu', 

take care of yourself, pamper yourself.

You will feel better soon and the journey will get easier and easier.  I promise.

S

• Like 3

This is something that has really helped me and others, i would pull on a straw or a one hitter(what they call it out here fake cigg for pot). If i was having a crave or anxious early on i would pull on the straw and hold it in for 2-3 secs and repeat till crave went away and it does. This works for me early on as well as later in your quit. Blow pops tootsie pops are good as well...

straw.png

• Like 2

Hey Steve, posting and venting is a big part of the early days because we know what you're going through. You've got great tips above. I, like whispers, am a huge fan of the air cigarette and really helped trick my mind into thinking it was getting its fix. Just remember that each day you stay smoke free means the next will be just a tiny bit better. You're doing great :)

Day 5 is huge... that means for at least 76 hours you have not had a smoke.... for at least 76 hours you have not put any uncessary and poisonous crap in ya body... heading down the store might 'make it feel better' for all of 30 seconds...... so not worth it mate because for at least   273,600 seconds you haven't had one and its been making you suffer for it too.... don't let the addiction win... you have beaten it already for at least 273,600 seconds not 30 seconds of gratification is worth chuckin that in... hold on tight cos you are doin a great job.

• Like 1

No, heading down to the store and getting smokes will not make you feel better.  That is the addiction messing with your mind.  You will feel bad about throwing away 5 days smoke free and really, these early days are the toughest. 

Be proud of what you are doing as quitting smoking is an incredible thing to do.  Keep focusing on the positive, like you are doing.  Things will get better the longer you remain smoke free.  You are doing great, Steve.

2 hours ago, Sazerac said:

This is a full out LIE that addiction is telling you.  You won't feel better after a smoke, you will just start up the addiction again.

14 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

No, heading down to the store and getting smokes will not make you feel better.  That is the addiction messing with your mind.  You will feel bad about throwing away 5 days smoke free and really, these early days are the toughest. 

True ^^^ that.

We've all been there Steve. And we hung tough and came out the other side and you can too, we promise. Hard candies, air cigs, exercise, sex, sleeping, pillow-punching.....do whatever you have to do to get through these first hours and days. You get stronger against the addiction every day you stay clean. It will get easier. But only if you don't smoke.

At least you are getting the bad part over with.

You made it four solid days so you have proven to yourself you can get by without a cancer stick.

If you light up, you will be back to square one.