Day 4: Addiction and Evolution

So... day 4! Rough ride in that I've felt crap all week long (nauseau, migraines, etc.) but nothing has dented my resolve and I am 100% confident that this is it. It did get me thinking though: addiction is an amazing thing. Basically, your body has mechanisms to try to override your conscious brain. And not just by brute force (making you feel awful until you give in): also by being sneaky and sending you all these ideas that are objectively ridiculous but sound really great to justify your addiction (my personal favorite: after Sept 11 I used to tell myself that I was safer as a smoker because whenever I'd go outside I would be safe in case a  plan smacked into my building; I'd love to hear your favorite ridiculous addictive thoughts). What's interesting to me about this is that this ability evolved. So as our conscious brains become more impressive, it must have led to deadly mistakes and somewhere there became a competitive advantage for your body/subconcious to be able to overcome your conscious brain. This actually makes a lot of sense in some cases (fear of heights, your inability to starve yourself), but also created the addiction problem where we end up doing thing that are bad for us against our will. I recognize that I'm not being as clear and articulate as I would like (hey, I said it was a rough week!) but hopefully you get the idea...

• Like 7

You  are in the thick of it, G.  All you can do is  be steadfast in your resolve.  This will bring you power.

Breathe beautiful clean clear breaths.

Take a screaming shower, you get to do anything but smoke.  We are on your side.

Post an SOS when you need, write your response to your own sos if you are in the mood.

Hold tight.  Breathe.  All Shall Be Well.

Good job steve - that commitment will get you through the tough days!

One of my ridiculous addictive thoughts is that getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be so why would I want to live a long life. *

*I worked in a nursing home for a very long time and saw alot of mental & physical suffering.*

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, beazel said:

Good job steve - that commitment will get you through the tough days!

One of my ridiculous addictive thoughts is that getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be so why would I want to live a long life. *

*I worked in a nursing home for a very long time and saw alot of mental & physical suffering.*

Wow I had that too!!! I worked with disabled people and thought once your body has a problem- why bother?

Congrats Steve. Day 4 was the hardest day for me. You are doing it and soon that part of your brain you're talking about will have no argument.

My absolute favorite quit-smoking-related quote: "There is nothing the addict loves so much as the possibility of a loophole." I've heard some doozies in my year of quitting.

Our brains are capable of amazing justifications and lies. That you are recognizing this, this early in your quit, bodes well. It will arm you in your fight against the addiction.

Please believe me when I say that you will eventually get to the point where the lies are easy to resist. It just takes time. Stay the course. One hour and one day at a time. You're doing super work Steve - 4 days is fantastic. Keep it up.

• Like 4

My hat’s off to anyone who can get through the physical and psychological crap of the early period of quitting. You’re doing it though. And as long as you see the deception for what it is, there’s nothing to prevent you from coming out victorious.

Well done Steve.

• Like 2

Steve, well done and getting through day 4 -- the first week is tough but it does get better especially the physical stuff regarding nicotine.  As you see the mental thing will come at you from all sides and it is good thing you are seeing that coming at you know and how sneaky it is.  Stay strong and keep coming here for help.  

• Like 1

Great job these 4 days Steve!! It is great you recognize your own "junkie thinking" this early on. I think the classic one that many of us run into a little way down the road, after we've been quit awhile, is - Oh, I'll just have one for old time sake. It can't hurt because I have been quit so long now I can have 1 without consequence!

Just remember Steve, the choice is ALWAYS ours to make. We are never forced to smoke or to act on that junkie thinking. WE are in control of our own destiny - each one of us :)

• Like 2

I want to congratulation you too Steve....quitting isn't for cissy,s....you my friend are doing great...

As the others have said... Stay strong...upward and onwards...don't listen to that nico monster.... He knows he is short lived...

The biggest lie I told myself...it's my treat...I've earned it...ya right...I'm sure I could have rewarded myself alot better than killing myself...

• Like 2

Ditto to all the above well-earned kudos, Steve. Your mindset is great; seems like the body is catching up and when it does, you’ll have a really solid quit. 

My my biggest rationalization was, “i don’t drink, I eat pretty clean and work out. Smoking is my only vice. If I quit, I’ll be perfect and wouldn’t that be annoying?”  The fact is, no one besides your s/o or perhaps parents if you’re younger really gives a rat’s rear end what you smoke, drink, eat, etc.  Hell, I have friends I’ve known for 20 years who have never realized I don’t touch alcohol. They still offer me an alcoholic drink st their house. 

Everyone’s too wrapped up in what they’re doing to notice what anybody else is doing.  IMHO. 

• Like 2