Hello everyone, it's great to be on here with others going through the same internal struggle.  I am a mostly healthy 33 year old man.  I've been smoking half a pack a day of light cigarettes for 14 years now (started the end of 2003). For many years I found it so hard to quit when all my friends (or girlfriends) always smoked. Now i am divorced, but have continued smoking due to my bad anxiety disorder. I have even been told by doctors that I shouldn't quit smoking till I got my anxiety under control as they said I wouldn't succeed :(  

I have always made so many excuses to not quit, but this past winter I have realized I have some form of asthma or respiratory disorder, as ive been need8ng inhalers some days, and need a vaporizer on to sleep. I know at my age my chances for a long, healthy life are very good still. I just know I have to do this. My anxiety always tries to make me think I'm dying everytime I get respiratory infections. Since November ive had over 4 or 5 serious  bouts. I've even had to cut out all dairy as its made my repository issues worse. I haven't seriousdly tried to quit since 2007.  The biggest issue I always have is my bad anxieties. They make it feel like an impossibility. My anxieties are also why I'm quitting as im terribly afraid of an early death as well.

I apologize about my rant, just wanted to let you know about my journey towards becoming a non smoker.  Any support is greatly appreciated. Thank you to all on here :)

• Like 7

Hi Doug1984, you have made a wise decision to quit, continuing to smoke will only make your respiratory issues that much worse!!  Read as much as you can here on the forums and join in.  PS. No such thing as a "light" cigarette! ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Doug.  You have made a choice that will ultimately improve your life in almost every way possible.  Of course it will probably be quite difficult at times, but the payoff will be enormous.  I am not a doctor, but I believe yours is giving you terrible advice not to quit until you get your anxiety under control.  Smoking causes breathing problems, which in turn increases anxiety.

I used to take an anti-anxiety med because I woke up in cold sweats due to nightly breathing issues.  Now I climb mountains.  No more meds.  No more anxiety.  It is amazing just how profound and positive an impact quitting has had on my life.  It can be even better for you at age 33.

Hope you'll read, learn, post and above all quit smoking.  NOPE....not one puff ever!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Doug welcome aboard for this journey.  From what you say you do need to take smoking off the table.  If you take the jump your respiratory issues will  improve, so the anxiety over quitting will be short lived but the benefits for your breathing will be long term and you will see those benefits within a few days and a couple of weeks.  Your age is a big advantage at this time, quit now and those benefits will be far greater.  I know, I have smoked for over 40 years, I do have some long term issues with my lungs but my breathing has improved and I know that it has helped me greatly by quitting.  You can do this, just come hear and research, read, watch videos and reach out to the members here, we are here to help.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the Quit Train Doug!!

We are all quitters here and you will see from our various quit dates, there are people here quit for years and people quit for only days. We all GET IT! We know exactly what you are going through.  Education and the support you will get here are key to your quit! Be sure also to go to our NOPE page every day and pledge NOPE (Not One Puff Ever). That is really all you have to do to quit & stay quit!!

In terms of anxiety, Yes there will be increased levels in the early part of your quit. If you have anxiety issues to begin with, I would recommend you speak to a medical professional to see what can be done to minimize the issues as you begin your quit. Quitting is VERY possible providing you approach it in the manner that is right for YOU! Look forward to seeing you around :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Doug.

11 minutes ago, Doug1984 said:

I have even been told by doctors that I shouldn't quit smoking till I got my anxiety under control as they said I wouldn't succeed :(  

Having a diploma on the wall is no guarantee that someone will not say some incredibly stupid stuff.  Nicotine heightens anxiety.  Any relief gained from smoking a cigarette is merely a response to a temporary fix for the withdrawal symptoms experienced by nicotine addicts.  Best case scenario for a smoker: the cigarette will alleviate withdrawal just enough for you to temporarily feel only the level of anxiety that you would experience if you weren't a smoker.

The only problem solved by smoking is the very problem created by smoking.  Smoking is a deadly exercise in futility.

Do yourself a favor and ignore the doctor's orders on this one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Boo said:

Do yourself a favor and ignore the doctor's orders on this one.

Boo nailed this one on the head. My little nicotine addict self clung to the doctors who said don't give up yet this was so the best justification to give in on a quit but you know what I am feeling so much better and have considerably less anxiety now than I had 3 months ago. 

Read whatever you can here, and when you quit do it 24 hours at a time. I still only am to get through this day.. and before you know it they add up and it gets easier. 

• Like 6

Welcome to the QT Doug,  Quitting is not really as hard as you think and I can guarantee you'll see improvement in your breathing.  I had shortness of breath, pneumonia several times a year, CPAP before I was 40....None of that is true now.  I've even learned to like the gym!  The thing about waiting for the perfect time to quit is that the perfect time never comes.  You're the only one who can decide when you're ready.   Do some reading here about the addiction and coping strategies folks have used to combat anxiety etc....

Great to have you here with us.  :91_thumbsup:

• Like 4

Thank you all for your optimistic and extremely encouraging attitudes. All of you on here will definitely help me through this. Yes, we've all gone through the withdrawal,  I just wasn't ever able to make it through to the end if the 3 day detox hump. I'm sure it's probably even longer than that. The biggest battle for me I know is the psychalogical battle, not the physical. Im glad the weather is going to get nice soon, as im a serious outdoorsman, and know that nature is one of my biggest assets and will imprive my physical health immensely.  

BTW, I stopped going to that doctor I mentioned earlier. He always gave terrible advice. Sadly hes my Dads Dr. And i cant get my dad to stop going to him lol. 

• Like 5

Welcome Doug and congrats on taking back your life. I used to get sick all the time when I smoked. And 9 out of 10 times it would end up in my chest and I'd be on a round of antibiotics. It reeks havoc on our lungs. Since I've quit I've been sick one time. And it was the easiest cold I've ever had. That can be you too. Plus you have the advantage of youth on your side which I think helps with the recovery from this addiction.

I stayed glued to my site and I recommend you stay glued here too. It's a great way to keep your mind off your misery. There's tons of stuff to do here so have a look around. And most important post an SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave. Members will come running to help you past it :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Doug1984 said:

Thank you all for your optimistic and extremely encouraging attitudes. All of you on here will definitely help me through this. Yes, we've all gone through the withdrawal,  I just wasn't ever able to make it through to the end if the 3 day detox hump. I'm sure it's probably even longer than that. The biggest battle for me I know is the psychalogical battle, not the physical. Im glad the weather is going to get nice soon, as im a serious outdoorsman, and know that nature is one of my biggest assets and will imprive my physical health immensely.  

BTW, I stopped going to that doctor I mentioned earlier. He always gave terrible advice. Sadly hes my Dads Dr. And i cant get my dad to stop going to him lol. 

A lot of it is mental, watch this to get a lil educated on what youre in for

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Doug and congratulations on making the decision to quit.  I like that you have already started to identify some hurdles/barriers to conquer.  It is no secret depression and anxiety add some extra challenges when trying to quit any habit.   It sounds like a good plan is in place and you know what you're up against.  For me, the physical battle was over in about 1-2 week(s).  I quit cold turkey and the nicotine withdrawals were a walk in the park compared to the psychological, nostalgic ones.   Please come here and post about what's going on in your world.  This forum offers  great support.  It will distract you and keep your hands busy typing, your brain occupied with helping others - or challenging a fellow quitter in the Games section.  I'm glad you found Quit Train.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Whispers said:

A lot of it is mental, watch this to get a lil educated on what youre in for

Thank you so much for this extremely informative video. I definitely feel alot better knowing most damage is reversible at my younger age. When i finally do get to that first 72 hours, I'm gonna be on here alot to get through that crucial and very hard period, but i will prevail, as everyone on this board has or will !

• Like 3

Doug you have the right attitude -- Keep strong, Keep coming here, and remember at this time it is one day at a time, each day you quit for the day -- Remember to go to the NOPE pledge section each day and pledge NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) it really does work, has for me.  

• Thanks 1

I agree with the other posters, especially the ones who said that you should not listen to your doctors about not quitting smoking.  That's pretty terrible advice from a doctor, actually. 

It may be hard to believe now but smoking actually adds to your stress and anxiety.  Your initial days of a quit may be tough but eventually being smoke free should help alleviate anxiety.  You will also be leading a much more healthier life.  Now is a great time to quit smoking.

Welcome to QuitTrain, Doug.  It is great to have you here.

• Like 2

Welcome Doug,

Nicotine is the ultimate self perpetuating anxiety machine.

You will feel so much better when you quit and better about yourself, too.

Quitting smoking is an empowering endeavor.

In three days, nicotine is out of your body. 

Banishing nicotine from your brain takes more time but, don't be discouraged. 

We are a collective of people who have successfully quit smoking and are here to help you.

You can quit smoking.

So, get excited, bebe, your life is about to change and lead you to many new experiences.

You will learn a lot about yourself and discover new tools to deal with anxiety.

Commit to NOPE (not one puff ever) and you won't believe how good it feels to be free.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Welcome Doug,

Nicotine is the ultimate self perpetuating anxiety machine.

You will feel so much better when you quit and better about yourself, too.

Quitting smoking is an empowering endeavor.

In three days, nicotine is out of your body. 

Banishing nicotine from your brain takes more time but, don't be discouraged. 

We are a collective of people who have successfully quit smoking and are here to help you.

You can quit smoking.

So, get excited, bebe, your life is about to change and lead you to many new experiences.

You will learn a lot about yourself and discover new tools to deal with anxiety.

Commit to NOPE (not one puff ever) and you won't believe how good it feels to be free.

Your right,  nicotine definitely is the mist powerful self perpetuating anxiety machine. Im anxious if i dont smoke, but when i gett respiratory issues, then I get anxiety about dying from cancer or emphysema. Then in my paranoid state I start self diagnosing myself  online from reading about my ailments, and I always get lead to beleive at the end that I have developed something terminal. 

This will be the greatest anti anxiety medication ever knowing  my body is repairing itself and healthier than ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnny5 said:

I agree with the other posters, especially the ones who said that you should not listen to your doctors about not quitting smoking.  That's pretty terrible advice from a doctor, actually. 

It may be hard to believe now but smoking actually adds to your stress and anxiety.  Your initial days of a quit may be tough but eventually being smoke free should help alleviate anxiety.  You will also be leading a much more healthier life.  Now is a great time to quit smoking.

Welcome to QuitTrain, Doug.  It is great to have you here.

I was told several times by that Doc, that's why I stopped going.i really couldn't understand how he could tell me that. I know it adds to my anxiety,  but the peace of mind of being healthier will be so amazing, I'm really looking forward to this!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Doug1984 said:

I was told several times by that Doc, that's why I stopped going.i really couldn't understand how he could tell me that. I know it adds to my anxiety,  but the peace of mind of being healthier will be so amazing, I'm really looking forward to this!

Confession: I stayed with a doctor I wasn't happy with for a multitude of reasons (like having me on tripple the legal dose of a medication) because he was counselling me to not quit.

If it helps at all I had been suffering with anxiety (some days so bad I couldn't leave the house and had a rather impressive crying jag at the supermarket when I couldn't find the brand of sauce (ketchup) I was looking for) as a result of trying to ween off a medication I have been taking for a few years. I also have some severe anxiety attached to quitting as a result of a previous failed quit. When I began this quit I was at a stage in my life where I did grocery shopping in the middle of the night to avoid people, I went to work, and I would show up to softball right before the game started, not sit in the dugout and leave as soon as it finished without shaking hands. I wouldn't answer my phone and I was barely functioning. In the middle of that, in the middle of the night I decided to quit. Since my quit date I have had to sudden and horrific deaths to contend with and but emotionally and anxiety wise i am in a much better place than i was when i was still smoking. I'm not going to blow smoke up your ar5e mate, it was hard, that first week I barely functioned, week 3 was insane but I can honestly tell you I am in such a better place now with my anxiety than I was as a smoker. A lot of people here say they are free, meaning they are free of the addiction of nicotine and its controlling hold over us but i have been doubly blessed because I feel that the grip my anxiety has on me is lessening more and more each day and they only thing different is the smokes. I have even gone back to working the bar at softball. Quitting is hard at anytime but quitting with anxiety is actually a balm once your past those first few hurdles. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

Confession: I stayed with a doctor I wasn't happy with for a multitude of reasons (like having me on tripple the legal dose of a medication) because he was counselling me to not quit.

If it helps at all I had been suffering with anxiety (some days so bad I couldn't leave the house and had a rather impressive crying jag at the supermarket when I couldn't find the brand of sauce (ketchup) I was looking for) as a result of trying to ween off a medication I have been taking for a few years. I also have some severe anxiety attached to quitting as a result of a previous failed quit. When I began this quit I was at a stage in my life where I did grocery shopping in the middle of the night to avoid people, I went to work, and I would show up to softball right before the game started, not sit in the dugout and leave as soon as it finished without shaking hands. I wouldn't answer my phone and I was barely functioning. In the middle of that, in the middle of the night I decided to quit. Since my quit date I have had to sudden and horrific deaths to contend with and but emotionally and anxiety wise i am in a much better place than i was when i was still smoking. I'm not going to blow smoke up your ar5e mate, it was hard, that first week I barely functioned, week 3 was insane but I can honestly tell you I am in such a better place now with my anxiety than I was as a smoker. A lot of people here say they are free, meaning they are free of the addiction of nicotine and its controlling hold over us but i have been doubly blessed because I feel that the grip my anxiety has on me is lessening more and more each day and they only thing different is the smokes. I have even gone back to working the bar at softball. Quitting is hard at anytime but quitting with anxiety is actually a balm once your past those first few hurdles. 

Thank you for sharing that jo, and I'm sorry you've had to deal with that. Your sharing this will probably help more people than you'll ever know (((jo)))

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Thank you so much for your support And understanding. It seems like you definitely understand the  anxieties with quitting. I especially understand having anxiety to quit from how bad a previous attempt went. I've replayed over amd over the stress and utter misery of that  time.  My mind wasn't 100% in that time, thats why. I'm so sorry you suffered with such bad anxieties,  but your end result gives me alot of hope i must admit. If quitting has severely diminished your anxiety,  then its obviously the best choice I could ever make. Thank you so much !!  :)

Edited by Doug1984
Lots of Mispelling
  • Like 2

Hello and welcome Doug....you are amongst friends here..who understand exactly what your going through....

You have had wonderful advice to get you going...

Spend time reading all you can here...knowledge will make you stronger...

Watch all Joel's videos....they cover most fears you will have....

Quitting is not as hard as you imagine.... So don't over think...

I've yet to meet a doctor who doesn't put quitting at the top of the list...for all the reasons mentioned above....

Stay close ..post alot...do out daily NOPE....being with people achieving the same goal as yourself is a massive support...upwards and onwards !!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1