Be Careful. Another One Just Around The Corner

Wow. I'm almost 3 years and 3 months quit. The past 4  months have been some of the absolute hardest I have ever faced. Culminating last Thursday in a personal tragedy. Funny, I sure thought about smoking. I thought how it would increase my pain, damage my health when I need to be strongest for a loved one, how many times I would be running out instead of holding a hand, and planning an escape to buy more when I need to be present and listening most. Like all I guess, smoking is such a selfish addiction. Yeah, I thought about it. But I never desired it. I'll live in the present, not the past. No matter what comes my way. I never thought I could be so free of them. Now I truly know, I will never smoke again.

Just sayin 

Gon

• Like 12

Good for you Gon....

Thoughts of smoking are bound to come up now and again ....were addicts....

It's how  we react to them that matters...

You sound like your in s good place....smoking won't change anything....

It took my junkie brain a long time to understand this...way to go !!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gonfishn21 said:

Wow. I'm almost 3 years and 3 months quit. The past 4  months have been some of the absolute hardest I have ever faced. Culminating last Thursday in a personal tragedy. Funny, I sure thought about smoking. I thought how it would increase my pain, damage my health when I need to be strongest for a loved one, how many times I would be running out instead of holding a hand, and planning an escape to buy more when I need to be present and listening most. Like all I guess, smoking is such a selfish addiction. Yeah, I thought about it. But I never desired it. I'll live in the present, not the past. No matter what comes my way. I never thought I could be so free of them. Now I truly know, I will never smoke again.

Just sayin 

Gon

I blew a 2 1/2 year quit over a similar situation, i wasnt thinking clear. The fact that you didnt smoke says it all. This time whatever is thrown at me i wont take that puff no matter and that I put in pen. We will always get tested those sticks are evil things . I'm sorry to read about your tragedy

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you are having issues gon. It's truly amazing though that after a long time we still learn more and more about this addiction and the power it wants to have over us. All those years we smoked and the reasons for smoking imprinted on our brains. But, the best news of all is that because we have learned so much about this addiction and how it tries to lure us back into it's clutches, we can eventually break free FOR GOOD!

Well done gon & thanks for sharing. These stories help others more than you know :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

It's truly amazing that after a long time we still learn more and more about this addiction and the power it wants to have over us. But, the best news of all is that because we have learned so much about this addiction and how it tries to lure us back into it's clutches, we can eventually break free FOR GOOD!

Well done gon & thanks for sharing. These stories help others more than you know :)

And we learn from strangers who have gone through or going through the same fight! Internet isn't a bad place after all ....

• Like 2

I'm sorry for your personal tragedy gon :(  And thank you for thinking of all of us who are fighting this addiction by posting that even when the worse happens time lessens the need to smoke.  My heart goes out to you my friend ((gon))

Thank you all. This has been trying, but the support from others is always such a comfort. I really meant this to be about the strength of a quit, and no matter what happens in life, it does not "make" you go back to smoking. In the long run they can solidify your fortitude.

I am a lucky woman.

• Like 4