This is it!

Hi everyone, new here. This is it for me. I've tried and failed to quit a bunch of times over the last few years, and it's a constant battle, so I'm pretty much always in a state of either withdrawal or relapse, never really feeling good or feeling good about myself. Just quit for two months, then relapsed on super bowl sunday (my team was in it! I figured just one day off and I'll get right back to it! Stupid.), on and off since then. But this is really it for me. I can feel it. This time is different. Going cold turkey,  really committed. Starting in the morning, and never going back, not just for one day, not just for one second, not ever. I think in the past I always figured I could take "a day off" a few months down the line, so that got me through the near term bad times, but always backfired because once you start thinking that way, eventually you're going to relapse. But I want to live long, and I want to feel good, so I'm just going cold turkey and I'm going to blow through the cravings and the bad moods and the misery and just get through. What's different this time? Three things: 1) The resolve. I'm there. I'm not giving in again. 2) The understanding that this is forever. I've never done this before with the clear understanding that any relapse, even one second, is the same as not having even started. 3) This board. I'm going to try posting here when things are really tough. I figure this will, at worst, give me a place to vent to people who understand, and hopefully distract me enough when things are bad to get through. So I'm not going to say "Here's hoping", because this. is. it.  I am done. Thanks for listening!

• Like 13

Welcome Steve! Yes, you CAN do this. We are here not only as proof of that but we are here to help you. Resolve is great, A necessary component but education about this addiction is really key as well so PLEASE read all you can here about this addiction. As you know, you can't have even just one or even one puff!! Once you do, you're done - relapse. Then back to full time smoking. That's why we have a daily NOPE page here,. Go there and pledge your NOPE every day. NOPE stands for Not One Puff Ever. That's all it takes for life long smoke free living! Welcome aboard and hope to see you on the NOPE pledge page :) And, you don't have to think in terms of forever. Just take it a day at a time for now. Tomorrow will come later and you can deal with that then. That's why we have a DAILY NOPE pledge. One day at a time :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

Welcome Steve and congrats on deciding to take back your life :) Reciprocity gave you great advice so I'll just add that if you feel yourself caving to a crave come here first and post SOS and we will come running to help you past it :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

Hi geetarsteve & welcome! Stay as committed as you are today!! Take smoking off the table...No Matter What!!

Smoking Is Not An Option

Please start reading about the addiction, knowledge is a powerful tool.

And that "geetar" will be a great distraction for those nasty craves!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, geetarsteve said:

Hi everyone, new here. This is it for me. I've tried and failed to quit a bunch of times over the last few years, and it's a constant battle, so I'm pretty much always in a state of either withdrawal or relapse, never really feeling good or feeling good about myself. Just quit for two months, then relapsed on super bowl sunday (my team was in it! I figured just one day off and I'll get right back to it! Stupid.), on and off since then. But this is really it for me. I can feel it. This time is different. Going cold turkey,  really committed. Starting in the morning, and never going back, not just for one day, not just for one second, not ever. I think in the past I always figured I could take "a day off" a few months down the line, so that got me through the near term bad times, but always backfired because once you start thinking that way, eventually you're going to relapse. But I want to live long, and I want to feel good, so I'm just going cold turkey and I'm going to blow through the cravings and the bad moods and the misery and just get through. What's different this time? Three things: 1) The resolve. I'm there. I'm not giving in again. 2) The understanding that this is forever. I've never done this before with the clear understanding that any relapse, even one second, is the same as not having even started. 3) This board. I'm going to try posting here when things are really tough. I figure this will, at worst, give me a place to vent to people who understand, and hopefully distract me enough when things are bad to get through. So I'm not going to say "Here's hoping", because this. is. it.  I am done. Thanks for listening!

You sound good, g.

Your resolve, your understanding, and your participation on QTrain will help ensure a successful quit.

Learn all you can about nicotine addiction, reward yourself each crave you beat, and have some fun on the journey.

There may be temporary discomfort but,  you will never regret quitting smoking, the freedom is delicious.

Welcome!  

I have quit quit a few times before, so know where you’re coming from.  I know this is the last one. Here’s what I leaned...

Its a 3 part trick to keeping quit.  The first part is obvious...NTAP (Never Take Another Puff)!

2). Educate yourself about your addiction.  There’s a ton of info here. Look on WhyQuit.com. Take the free course at quitsmokingonline.com.  Search for the free PDF of Allen Carr’s book. Read.  The more you know about what nicotine does to your body and brain when you smoke, and when you quit, the better prepared you are to deal with it. 

3). Communicate with your support system.  In real life or online or both.  People care, and want to help you keep your quit.  Go look in the SOS forum and see how every one comes running when someone’s in trouble with their quit.  Promise to post and respond before you buy smokes or take a puff. 

You  can do it.  We’ll help!

• Like 4

Thanks all, help greatly appreciated. I am feeling strong tonight, and spending some time going through all the health problems addiction has caused me, and the reasons I want to add a few decades to my life. No doubt there are going to be some tough times, and I plan to use the S.O.S. page ad nauseum. At best, it'll waste time to let the cravings past, at worst it'll give me some strength to get through the worst. I know myself well enough to know that the first week will be ok: some tough times, but strong resolve to overcome them. It's the second/third/fourth week when cravings mostly pass, and I'm not thinking about this all the time, but then they hit strong and there's an opportunity to break down and my brain convinces me that one time won't be so bad and I'll be back to it tomorrow. Nope. Not this time. This time is different because this time I'm going in knowing there is no going back, no days off, no "maybe I'll have one day a year". No relapses, not ever again, not for one second, not for any reason. I'll chew my arm off before I go back to it. (Side note: I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as a medical opinion, but, if I had to guess, amazingly, it is probably healthier to quit smoking and chew your arm off than to keep smoking forever).

• Like 2

Hi and welcome aboard...

You have had some great advice ...quitting smoking is a journey..be patient with your self...

Your body has some healing to do...its been fed poison for a long time...

We here to support yoiu all the way to freedom...

Post often ,keep us close,......

Being free of this killer addiction..is a amazing feeling...

Welcome aboard Steve.  A lot of good advice has been given to you, all of it good strong advice.  The NOPE pledge here is a daily place to go, I thought it kind of hokey at first but it has really helped me along the way.  Anyway stay strong and come here often for support, we will be here.  

• Like 2

Welcome Steve. Lots of great advice there, and I can wholly recommend coming on here to read, post and play games especially when the going gets tough.

Playing games certainly has got me through some tough times.

All the best , you CAN do it :6_smile:

Strap on your seatbelt, keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times. Fender's aren't just on cars, and Gibson's isn't just a cool little town on the Sunshine Coast. if there's help you need it's likely here somewhere.

Peace

R

• Like 1

Hi geetarsteve & welcome!! Sounds like you've got a good plan in place to kick this nastiness once & for all.  I quit & relapsed many times & fell victim to the infamous "just one won't hurt..." mentality.  Well, we all know that's junkie thinking and a big fat lie!  NOPE is the way to go- Not One Puff Ever!   Wake up each morning telling yourself "I'm not going to smoke today" when your head hits your pillow that night, smile & know you did it & can do it again the next day!  

Welcome to a great place that will offer you support & distraction! 

Edited by Lust4Life

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough, any chance of just staying in bed today. I found sleeping a lot really helped me in the first couple of weeks. Stay with it, keep saying NOPE and keep posting here.

10 hours ago, geetarsteve said:

Thanks all, help greatly appreciated. I am feeling strong tonight, and spending some time going through all the health problems addiction has caused me, and the reasons I want to add a few decades to my life. No doubt there are going to be some tough times, and I plan to use the S.O.S. page ad nauseum. At best, it'll waste time to let the cravings past, at worst it'll give me some strength to get through the worst. I know myself well enough to know that the first week will be ok: some tough times, but strong resolve to overcome them. It's the second/third/fourth week when cravings mostly pass, and I'm not thinking about this all the time, but then they hit strong and there's an opportunity to break down and my brain convinces me that one time won't be so bad and I'll be back to it tomorrow. Nope. Not this time. This time is different because this time I'm going in knowing there is no going back, no days off, no "maybe I'll have one day a year". No relapses, not ever again, not for one second, not for any reason. I'll chew my arm off before I go back to it. (Side note: I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as a medical opinion, but, if I had to guess, amazingly, it is probably healthier to quit smoking and chew your arm off than to keep smoking forever).

Just have a plan for when the cravings come and or the triggers. Replace the smoking reaction with something else. Go for a walk, work out, eat etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, geetarsteve said:

Off to a *rough* start. Definitely not feeling well this morning, all kinds of nauseous. Oh well, you gotta pay the price if you want to live your best life. No way I’m going to crack. No. Way.

Sorry your feeling crap....hoping it passes soon....

Whatever you feeling will be temporary... Stay strong....it will get better....

It takes 3 days for all the nicotine to leave your body....quitting is a roller coaster...with loads of bends along the way.......

• Like 1