Suck it up!!!!!!

catlover

OK so not really an SOS more of a rant ...get it off my chest. I help to look after my Mother in law who has Alzheimers and Vascular dementia. She is having a bad day today and has been EXTREMELY

Challenging, everything has been NO NO NO, and aggression. I know she cant help it, and I only show patience with her, but without my cigs this morning I was finding it hard to cope, and wishing I had'nt quit yet ( typical junkie thinking) I promised myself I wouldnt smoke and have'nt thank goodness, but I was soooooooo longing for one.

I came home and logged on here, and have been playing the games and it has helped me soooo much.

so Thanks guys for being there :18_kissing_heart:

2dl2mc0.jpg

• Like 7

Very tough situation to be in.  I worked many years ago with patients who had dementia and can so frustrating but you must show care in the most trying situations.  Looks like you did good regarding your quit -- very strong commitment there.  Glad you were able to come to the site and gather yourself.  Congrats for the strong will to survive this journey.  

• Like 4

Thanks Martian, I was having a battle with the nicodemon whispering ( no shouting ) in my ear...jusssssst one! The little ba*trd comes whispering in its whiny voice, but i  shut it up.

Peace is with me again. I do have to go back to her later to put her to bed, so hope her mood is better. (praying)

• Like 3

Sorry to hear your situation CL. My mother-in-law had Alzheimers. I think I wrote a thread on here about it somewhere. It's a horribly frustrating disease for loved ones to deal with. It's must be even worse in the early part of your quit. Please try to stay strong and protect your quit. That is job #1 for you right now. Come here and vent or play the games - whatever helps easy the anxiety you are feeling dealing with all of this.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

Well done Catlover. Sending sympathies about your mother-in-law.....but kudos for how you are handling your quit in the midst of things. Life will always throw us challenges. And we have to teach ourselves how to handle them the same as "regular people" (never-smokers) do. :12_slight_smile: You are doing a great job with this reprogramming. KTQ!

• Like 3

Thankyou, yes it is a horrible disease, and i think loved ones suffer the most. She does,nt recognise my hubby, her own son! and he does so much for her.

She has cameras in her home, and we have an app on our phones,  so we can see what she is doing. She does know its there by the way, but dont think he understands what its for, which is her safety. She does have carers a few times a week to give us a break, but sometimes like today ( my turn today) she is being all out like a petulent child.

I will keep it together, I told myself earlier, I'm not gonna let her make me smoke, what would it do anyway!!! other than to leave a bitter taste in my mouth, and have to start all over again.

NOPE

I can relate totally...

Some days I'm tested too...being a full time carer...

Coming here and having a laugh with folks ...is my escape.....

I kept repeating...if I smoked...it wouldn't, alter anything...and I would have hated myself...

Well done for coming here and getting it out...

Stay strong x

• Like 2

Just now, Doreensfree said:

I can relate totally...

Some days I'm tested too...being a full time carer...

Coming here and having a laugh with folks ...is my escape.....

I kept repeating...if I smoked...it wouldn't, alter anything...and I would have hated myself...

Well done for coming here and getting it out...

Stay strong x

Thanks Doreen, coming here certainly has helped.

• Like 1

Very stressful and sad when our parents/in-laws become ones needing our full attention.  Life coming round full circle.  My thoughts are with you catlover.  Just remember: a cigarette won't change any of the hardships you're dealing with.  All it will do is reignite your addiction.

• Like 2

You know what to do. And the only way to do it is to ******* do it. Some days you will climb walls due to various reasons. And you will not smoke and you will lay your head at night feeling proud. Lad, i was climbing walls for 5 months due to anxiety and something else mentally. Just one more day i told myself. And then it got easier. And then you will conquer. For now, keep that head up soldier. Im with you catlover. (I love cats myself, love those little bastards.) Stay awesome and smokefree!

• Like 4

Thank you Slip  for your kind words. We are battling to keep her out of a nursing home, but it's a struggle. We are monitoring her moods and if she becomes too difficult we may be forced to admit defeat and let her go in a home. I don't want to fail her so will keep trying, it's been nearly 2 years now.  I am keeping my lovely quit... 1 month tomorrow ..go me lol 

• Like 3

I feel for you, catlover.  Both my grandmothers have dementia and while its tough on me, I see how even more stressful it is for my parents.

You are doing great by keeping the quit during this time.  Just remember, a cigarette isn't going to make things better.  It will just make things worse.  You are doing great things, both in taking care of your mother-in-law and by putting smoking behind you.

• Like 3

You're doing awesome catlover, I agree with Shane that you are a rock star for keeping your quit with all that you are dealing with. I worked in a rest home when I was a teenager and had a lot of Alzheimer patients, it's a horrible disease  :(

• Like 2

Our friend, Cristóbal, said it beautifully and in perfect order,

" You--->Your Quit--->Your Life "

Protect Your Quit, it is precious.

You are doing great, catlover,  ferociously GREAT.

Please, be extra kind to yourself.

Edited by Sazerac
spelling
  • Like 4