What are you doing right now

notsmokinjo

I know you are used to getting this type of snow but I say if it is going to snow, let it snow, snow, snow.  For us in the south it can be like magic. I just sit by the window and watch the wonder of it all. I always appreciate the beauty of snow gently falling, coating the roofs, trees, the joy of watching children shrieking with delight. When I was younger I would be out there with the kids.  Now I enjoy staying inside, watching my son and grandson make memories together.

Once a long, long time ago when I was 15 years old it snowed.  I went out to enjoy it with my neighborhood friends.  There was a new boy there visiting.  Little did I know then that I would fall in love with this boy and marry him 5 years later.  Yes, I love the snow!!

• Like 4

Brushing up on my Canadian English.  In my time on this board, I've become familiar with British slang.  I can even understand most of Jo's Aussie slang now.

Now, I'm working on a job with a group out of Manitoba.  The foreman is an ex-smoker like myself.  He explained that he "quit the darts."  Apparently, Canadians call cigarettes darts.  I told him that I started working out again when I quit.  He explained that he only worked on his "Molson muscle."  He patted his belly after saying that, so I figured that one out quickly

Left and right are now Larry and Roger.  The pisser is now a washroom.  

I've already had to explain a couple of Southernisms to him, so we have a bit of a dialect exchange program going here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Kris said:

Okay, @Boo You got me there, I was thinking the southern thing was referring to the down under parts at first read. Lord, that was embarrassing!!LOL You have a left and a right and a pisser...Know what I mean!

At least I know enough now to know that if they call me a "hoser", they are not making reference to my dangly bits.

image.png.bdf0e596115a3ff02b611b24f3f4d284.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think somewhere I read about it but I can't remember the specifics.  I would think the further north you were raised and lived made you strong.  You faced harder winters.  Is that it?

• Like 1

@Boo, don't know what a "hoser" is either but I think most guys would like that description.

I hate to say it but sometimes I ask my son and daughter in law what things mean.  There are so many new slang words I can't keep up.  What is a meme? Is that short for memory?  I keep seeing that on blogs I read and I don't have a clue.

I was just looking around the board and saw there have been 37 of us on the board in the last 24 hour. That is the highest count I have ever seen. Such a wonderful thing, helping others and having a good chuckle. Sharing everything makes it so much easier!

• Like 4

Just for giggles, please find below and entry on a blog I follow.  It confirms that I am not the only person that needs certain things in a snow/ice storm. I thought I was the only weird one,               

It's time to do my monthly check in for January!  How did I do, let's see ...

I lost 4 pounds over the span of the whole month.

I ended my 40-Day Sugar fast on day 18 and decided not to restart it. I decided that a bit of chocolate was something I needed to help me get through a stressful time (ice storm) which meant the fast was broken.  My decision to break the fast was not an impulsive 'I'm out of control' decision, it was something I thought about and decided it was the right thing for me to do at that time.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Kris said:

What is a meme? 

I used to think memes were just pictures with captions on them that got passed around on the internet.

Such as:

image.png.dbf30ff184cc69d20904907b8748b518.png

Now the word seems to encompass most anything that is shared in a particular culture.  I only consider photos with text to be memes, because I'm stubborn like that.

However, certain videos pass the meme test as well.

I realize this post clears up nothing, but what the hell?

Edited by Boo
  • Haha 4

@AceWhite That is not the take I have about Canadians.  I will admit I have never watched South Park but those are not Canadians (my opinion) When I think of Canada, I think of great snow, for outdoors sports, fishing and hunting, great hearty food, which is needed  for the cold weather.  French, with all the great bread and bakeries.  Butter, butter, butter. for the french foods they make. P.S. I was born in France

52 minutes ago, Boo said:

I used to think memes were just pictures with captions on them that got passed around on the internet.

Such as:

image.png.dbf30ff184cc69d20904907b8748b518.png

Now the word seems to encompass most anything that is shared in a particular culture.  I only consider photos with text to be memes, because I'm stubborn like that.

However, certain videos pass the meme test as well.

I realize this post clears up nothing, but what the hell?

Its alright for you guys ...I'm off to bed with this tune in my brain ...sleep will be hard tonight ...

• Haha 3

meme- how I warm up my voice in the shower

i always wondered who had the job of placing witty text on pics then placing them on social media for us all to enjoy- genius!!

Canada- it's that place where high profile people threaten to go if they don't get their way, right?

Edited by AceWhite
  • Haha 5

Okay already, I've got it but I still don't like the word.  Do people just sit around thinking up new words.  The dictionary is big enough already, you know that big heavy book you can look up words for spelling and definition.  We used to do that before the internet took over the world. This message is intended for those under twenty years of age.

• Haha 2