What are you doing right now

notsmokinjo

Thinking about beef brisket and wood pallets.  This quarantine has given me time to focus on my obsessions and take up more along the way.

With all this time at home, I can be very meticulous when it comes to grilling and cooking.  Had a smoked beef brisket last night that was, if I may be so bold, perfect.  I started the process on Thursday night, trimming surface fat and applying the rub.  Smoked the brisket over the course of six hours yesterday, taking time to apply mop sauce and add pellets to the grill.  That was some good eating.  Added bonus: we're gonna have leftovers that will last for days.

Building furniture for the nursery has rekindled my interest in woodworking.  I was kicking around the idea of building a new coffee table for the back porch.  Sugar Britches pulled up a photo of an outdoor table that someone built entirely out of wood pallets.  Did a quick internet search and found all kinds of ideas for projects that can be done using pallets.  This works perfectly for me.  Through my work, I have access to as many used pallets as I want.  We can't get rid of them...the things are stacked up everywhere.  Do the whole "reduce, reuse, recycle" bit and save money along the way...it's nice when things come together.

Boo the builder, can he fix it....

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Boo said:

Thinking about beef brisket and wood pallets.  This quarantine has given me time to focus on my obsessions and take up more along the way.

With all this time at home, I can be very meticulous when it comes to grilling and cooking.  Had a smoked beef brisket last night that was, if I may be so bold, perfect.  I started the process on Thursday night, trimming surface fat and applying the rub.  Smoked the brisket over the course of six hours yesterday, taking time to apply mop sauce and add pellets to the grill.  That was some good eating.  Added bonus: we're gonna have leftovers that will last for days.

Building furniture for the nursery has rekindled my interest in woodworking.  I was kicking around the idea of building a new coffee table for the back porch.  Sugar Britches pulled up a photo of an outdoor table that someone built entirely out of wood pallets.  Did a quick internet search and found all kinds of ideas for projects that can be done using pallets.  This works perfectly for me.  Through my work, I have access to as many used pallets as I want.  We can't get rid of them...the things are stacked up everywhere.  Do the whole "reduce, reuse, recycle" bit and save money along the way...it's nice when things come together.

Boo the builder, can he fix it....

Years ago, I made a great platform/deck (out of pallets) to stand on at an outdoor bathtub  

Was a bitch getting the staples out but, once done I was able to place the boards closer together.   It held up quite well. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Boo said:

That was some good eating. 

Sounds good Boo.  Next time we are stopping at Boo's diner on our way through Tennessee.

4 hours ago, Boo said:

r projects that can be done using pallets. 

Boo we have plenty of pallets for you to start with.  We have been trying to get a bathroom vanity delivered for our bathroom renovations.  All three came delivered on pallets but were smashed when we opened them.  We just ordered our 4th one.    

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Wow!! ^^^^^  Doing my happy dance for you, Sazerac.  That is a beautiful bounty for certain. My mouth is watering just looking at that healthy delight. Fennel, leeks and beets - o, my!

your friend is is priceless.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, darcy said:

Wow!! ^^^^^  Doing my happy dance for you, Sazerac.  That is a beautiful bounty for certain. My mouth is watering just looking at that healthy delight. Fennel, leeks and beets - o, my!

your friend is is priceless.

I know, right ?  I have tears.

• Like 4

I use it heaps....sliced and pickled in salads, on sandwiches or burgers. Greater raw into a coleslaw salad (I'll often do this with a Vietnamese dressing and not a cream/mayo type dressing. Boiled, cut into chunks and cooled into a salad with baby spinach leaves, crumbled feta or goats cheese, walnuts and onion and if ya hzve email figs. I have a recipe for beetroot chocate cake. Or you can just roast them, with some carrots and spuds and pumpkin. Ok roasted chunks of beetroot and pumpkin tossed in some curry powder (Shearman  mix) or cummin roasting with some toasted pine nuts or cashews or almond slithers with rice or couscous or chickpeas or Dahl.

I have a good recipe for chocolate beetroot cake I'll hunt out for ya.

• Like 2

Oh...raw beetroot grated, pommegranite seeds, baby spinach, radicio, mesclan leaves, thin sliced Spanish onion, feta, sliced pear....drizzle of macadamia nut oil and a squiz of lemon or lime juice. 

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 2

Ok...you can grate some beetroots and carrots to make a coleslaw. It's yummy. 

You could boil or roast them as you would a spud. Roast beetroots should be eaten hot...but boiled ones see nice cold, and you can use them in lots of salads. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Ok...you can grate some beetroots and carrots to make a coleslaw. It's yummy. 

You could boil or roast them as you would a spud. Roast beetroots should be eaten hot...but boiled ones see nice cold, and you can use them in lots of salads. 

thank you so much !  there is enough to do all three, grated, roasted and boiled.  Love you, Jo.  You do good food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 6:26 PM, Sazerac said:

I hardly ever do beets except for Borscht,  tell me @notsmokinjo and @darcy all y'all favorite beet recipes

Favorite are roasted. Just pop them in a 400 oven for an hour.   cool slightly, skins will slither right off.  Eat warm or cold. 

Beet and fennel salad is wonderful....cooked beets and raw fennel with a hard boiled egg, if you have one.

And beet shake -  a couple of ice cube sized pieces of frozen spinach,  half of one of the raw beets you had diced, 10-12 dates, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. Throw it all in blender add a cup of kombucha (if you have it) and fill the rest of the blender with whatever milky liquid you like (I use almond  or coconut milk, but any kind will do).  this is like a chocolate shake.

Reciprocity - so glad you have come by.   Yay for you and the happiness you bring.   thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2