What are you doing right now

notsmokinjo

7 minutes ago, abbynormal said:

Smoking is a selfish habit. No doubt. I think you were well within your rights to be irritated. Conversely, I can remember when I was still in the throes of addiction. I probably could not have waited 90 minutes to smoke. I would have had to go out at least once. Or I would have cut the dinner short in order to get my fix. (The ultimate in selfishness.) So at least your friend didn't do that.

It's sometimes easy for us former smokers to forget how constant the cravings really were when we still smoked. Your friend probably waited as long as they possibly could before getting their fix. It's sad, but it's the reality of an addict.

I hope you enjoyed the dinner in spite of the interruptions!

Thanks Abby. You're right - I have forgotten how hard it can be and it's not really their fault. Dinner was great and the company was even better. 

They did ask me a lot about my quit and kept saying how proud they were x

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abbynormal said:

It's sometimes easy for us former smokers to forget how constant the cravings really were when we still smoked. Your friend probably waited as long as they possibly could before getting their fix. It's sad, but it's the reality of an addict.

Yep.  Not only did I consistently leave in the middle of conversations when I was a smoker, I was often thinking about getting my next fix while I was in the middle of a conversation.  Evaluating the situation, only half listening to what was being said, waiting for the perfect opportunity to skip out and get my fix.

When I was smoking, the cigarette called the shots.  I was just along for the ride.  Good riddance.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, catlover said:

Playing with my new fur babies Kizzy and Bertie. They are a bundle of fun climbing all over me. I feel like a pincushion, there tiny claws have punctured me lol..

Awwwww.  Love your new babies.  Your life wouldn't be complete without a cat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, abbynormal said:

Smoking is a selfish habit. No doubt. I think you were well within your rights to be irritated. Conversely, I can remember when I was still in the throes of addiction. I probably could not have waited 90 minutes to smoke. I would have had to go out at least once. Or I would have cut the dinner short in order to get my fix. (The ultimate in selfishness.) So at least your friend didn't do that.

I hope you enjoyed the dinner in spite of the interruptions!

^+1 

Well said Abby!

Edited by Vivianne
  • Like 2

I agree  Abby....

How soon we forget....

We are addicts ....we needed our fix ...on a regular basis ...no matter where we are ,or what we are  doing ..

I remember hanging out a Turkish hospital window to calm the beast ...

It goes with the addiction ...

Feel sorry for him Lilly...he's,still in the throws of his addiction....

• Like 5

Watching tobacco wars series...

I notice how emotional it makes me.. the manipulation, the lies... it's just all so sad!

2 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

I remember hanging out a Turkish hospital window to calm the beast ...

It goes with the addiction ...

Feel sorry for him Lilly...he's,still in the throws of his addiction....

I am gonna actively chance my inner dialog from jealousy (which is the addiction talking) to empathy/feeling sorry for the addict. And with that have more patience with my quit.

It's gonna take time and it's gonna take a lot of hard work (self-reflection fi.).

If I feel to safe, I am probably not...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vivianne said:

Watching tobacco wars series...

I notice how emotional it makes me.. the manipulation, the lies... it's just all so sad!

I am gonna actively chance my inner dialog from jealousy (which is the addiction talking) to empathy/feeling sorry for the addict. And with that have more patience with my quit.

It's gonna take time and it's gonna take a lot of hard work (self-reflection fi.).

If I feel to safe, I am probably not...

You got it, Ms V.

Compassion will replace envy before long.

I remember well the addiction yanking my chain every 20 or less minutes

and I obeyed immediately, groveling then grateful for the hit.

• Like 3

On the road in the RV again.  On my way to @Boosville.  Hoping he will come to our rescue when we get stuck going in circles in Nashville.   My husband thinks  the lady in the box (gps) will get us through.  I think the lady in the box always sends us the longest most complicated route.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, abbynormal said:

Packing for a camping trip. A lot of friggin' work for one night!

You need an RV.  All you have to do is pack food and clothes.  Have a great time.  You will think it is worth it when you are sitting around the fire.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Linda Thomas said:

You need an RV.  All you have to do is pack food and clothes.  Have a great time.  You will think it is worth it when you are sitting around the fire.

We just got a trailer. It's our first time out, so loading up the RV is part of the process. Next time it'll be much easier!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, abbynormal said:

We just got a trailer. It's our first time out, so loading up the RV is part of the process. Next time it'll be much easier!

You will love your new trailer.  I especially love the potty!   Once you have it stocked,  it is so easy to go.  Have a great time.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, abbynormal said:

Packing for a camping trip. A lot of friggin' work for one night!

54 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

On the road in the RV again.  On my way to @Boosville.  Hoping he will come to our rescue when we get stuck going in circles in Nashville.   My husband thinks  the lady in the box (gps) will get us through.  I think the lady in the box always sends us the longest most complicated route.

Have fun!! Don't get lost, and if you do, enjoy the heck out of it! ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

On the road in the RV again.  On my way to @Boosville.  Hoping he will come to our rescue when we get stuck going in circles in Nashville.

Now's probably not a good time to bring up that road trip to Nashville I took with some friends back in the day.  We were supposed to get on 24 East but ended up on 65 South.  

When you're traveling home from Nashville to Chattanooga, the last thing you want to hear the driver say is: How the **** did we end up in Alabama?

• Haha 5