What are you doing right now

notsmokinjo

Watching another TV commercial aboul Juuling. They are focusing on smokers who have "made the switch" from smoking cigarettes to Juuling; like that's solved their addiction to nicotine issue. I've seen several of these Juul ads recently. We all know who's behind those and funding them right?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

We won't get them here, can't say I'm sad....juuling/vaping has less legal rights than smoking here. 

Listening to my daughter explain to me that paper and pens are like cave man tools....🙁

Tell your daughter  you know someone who used to work for a Map company. She won't know what the hell you're talking about :) 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

Watching another TV commercial aboul Juuling. They are focusing on smokers who have "made the switch" from smoking cigarettes to Juuling; like that's solved their addiction to nicotine issue. I've seen several of these Juul ads recently. We all know who's behind those and funding them right?

The nicotine content in these is so high I would be scared of them even when I was a smoker. They say each pod is equal to a packet of cigarettes but I worked it out and it can't possibly be. I'm rubbish at maths so if I've got this wrong I apologise in advance. 

My cigarette of choice had 0.5mg nicotine per cigarette. 

A pack of 20 would surely contain 10mg nicotine

A 50mg Juul pod must then be equal to 100 cigarettes

That is pretty frightening if I have got the figures right. 

In the UK 20mg pods are the maximum allowed but that is still the equivalent of 40 of my old cigarettes. 

I keep hearing about people who use these and say I can only take 3/4 puffs or I get a nicotine rush and feel unwell. I'm not surprised if my working out above is right.  

• Sad 3

Rolling my eyes at the following conversation I had this evening with a 44yo adult...who wouldn't know sarcasm if it punched him in the face....

X: is there sweets?

Me: you can have some fruit

X:wot fruit?

Me: in the fridge. Oranges, apples, pears and plums.

X: Apples? You can make apple crumble.

Me: Nope. You said you are on a diet and need to watch your weight.

X: But apple crumble is health. It has apples and oats. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Lilly said:

The nicotine content in these is so high I would be scared of them even when I was a smoker. They say each pod is equal to a packet of cigarettes but I worked it out and it can't possibly be. I'm rubbish at maths so if I've got this wrong I apologise in advance. 

My cigarette of choice had 0.5mg nicotine per cigarette. 

A pack of 20 would surely contain 10mg nicotine

A 50mg Juul pod must then be equal to 100 cigarettes

That is pretty frightening if I have got the figures right. 

In the UK 20mg pods are the maximum allowed but that is still the equivalent of 40 of my old cigarettes. 

I keep hearing about people who use these and say I can only take 3/4 puffs or I get a nicotine rush and feel unwell. I'm not surprised if my working out above is right.  

Maybe a "pod" last them for a month then if they can only take a few puffs at a time - I don't know as I never tried Julling but portraying it in these commercial as a safe alternative to cigarettes is just wrong. They don't actually say that of course but the man in the commercial does talk about how relieved he is that he's no longer a smoker - wow, OK, we know that song and dance. It was the same in the 40's &50's with cigarettes.

• Like 1

@reciprocity some people's pods last a day and some less. 

If my figures are right then I'm not surprised it's such a problem in America. They use salts which means if you used the same level of nicotine in a standard e-liquid your head would blow off. By adding the salts it makes it smooth as silk when you puff it.

Edited by Lilly

9 minutes ago, jillar said:

@reciprocity, you worked at a map company? I didn't know they even made maps anymore lol

Are you feeling any better today Jillar. Hope your friend us ok x

Lying on the sofa surrounded my all sorts of treaty food and deciding what film to watch. Love Sundays 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jillar said:

@reciprocity, you worked at a map company? I didn't know they even made maps anymore lol

Yes - LOL!  I'm surprised they are still in business actually. There will always be some need for paper maps but it's a demographic thing. Kids today don't even know how to read a map so they will eventually die out because it costs a lot to keep them updated and to print them as well. They need big volume to continue on and that's just not there any more.

I have to admit though that they are a good tool for planning a road trip. Nice to see where you're going and whats around you on the way.

The company I worked for did all the AAA city maps for Canada. That was a big account but ended up maybe 25% of the volume it used to be. Interesting the way things change over time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

@reciprocity some people's pods last a day and some less. 

If my figures are right then I'm not surprised it's such a problem in America. They use salts which means if you used the same level of nicotine in a standard e-liquid your head would blow off. By adding the salts it makes it smooth as silk when you puff it.

Interesting stuff. I have no idea about this new way of smoking that is sweeping over the younger generation in particular and promoting itself as the "safer" alternative to smoking cigarettes. Sounds dangerous in terms of getting even more addicted, if that's possible?

• Like 1

Doing yard work and some potting of plants with bulbs (Elephant ears, caladiums and dahlias)...taking it slow and just happy I can do it again without any help! 

image.thumb.png.bd089ba2dd97de702beed772130aa13e.pngimage.png.4ed313a7592b0a7240a810cbe740f56b.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, reciprocity said:

There will always be some need for paper maps but it's a demographic thing. Kids today don't even know how to read a map so they will eventually die out because it costs a lot to keep them updated and to print them as well. They need big volume to continue on and that's just not there any more.

If any of the kids of today plan on leaving the streets and sidewalks of the cities and suburbs, they need to learn to read a proper map.

If you find yourself out in the woods or up in the mountains, the best map app is no substitute for a physical topographical map.

Sugar Britches laughs at me for keeping copies of The Atlas and Gazatteer for the states of Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, and Alabama in my truck.  She asked if I used to travel with Lewis and Clark.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Boo said:

If any of the kids of today plan on leaving the streets and sidewalks of the cities and suburbs, they need to learn to read a proper map.

If you find yourself out in the woods or up in the mountains, the best map app is no substitute for a physical topographical map.

Sugar Britches laughs at me for keeping copies of The Atlas and Gazatteer for the states of Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, and Alabama in my truck.  She asked if I used to travel with Lewis and Clark.

Hey! I love a good Road Atlas when doing a road trip. Nice to see what's around on the way by. Getting from A to B is easy and I also use apps and what not for that but a map has so much more info.

And yes! If you are out hiking or doing anything in the Boonies, you need a good Topo Map. Fishing, hunting, hiking whatever. Cell signals can get scarce out in the woods. Most of the maps we made in the past 10 years were GPS compatible. We would grid our maps not only to roads and place names but also to a UTM grid which you can match to your GPS (not Long/Lat but UTM which is more accurate; Universal Transverse Mercator). That way you could use both in conjunction with each other.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Hey! I love a good Road Atlas when doing a road trip. Nice to see what's around on the way by. Getting from A to B is easy and I also use apps and what not for that but a map has so much more info.

Here, here!  The interstate system and major highways are convenient if you just want to get from point A to point B as quick as possible.  And they serve a purpose in the field of trucking and commerce.  However, for a road trip nothing beats the backroads and scenic routes.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." --Charles Kuralt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rozuki said:

Doing yard work and some potting of plants with bulbs (Elephant ears, caladiums and dahlias)...taking it slow and just happy I can do it again without any help! 

They are beautiful.   Planting is always my therapy.  So glad you finally have you health back and can have the joy of planting again.

I just finished trimming the pushes.  My back is killing me and boy am I tired.  I can not let my husband loose on my bushes.  He always gives them a buzz.  Sometimes I think he does it on purpose so I won't let him do it again.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

We do have a GPS but I call her Lucy.  She does not do a very good job.  She has caused more arguments between my husband and I.  I will take a good old map any day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

He always gives them a buzz.  Sometimes I think he does it on purpose so I won't let him do it again.  

I did that with grocery shopping! Went out once and left 3 or 4 bage at the store somehow. Haven't  had to do the shopping since and that was probably 20 years ago 😎

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

We do have a GPS but I call her Lucy.  She does not do a very good job.  She has caused more arguments between my husband and I.  I will take a good old map any day.  

The only thing I like about the GPS system I have is listening to the voice try to pronounce the names of some of the places around here.  Chickamauga is the best, she pronounces it Chi-ca-a-mooga.  Ooltewah becomes Ooh-ooh-tell-wahh.  And for some reason she calls Ocoee: Ooh-coo-oh.

The animated voice-bot lady is not familiar with the pronunciations of the Cherokee language.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am so lost and confused -- In the last 3 hours on this thread we have vaping, planting, kids getting lost, road trips, bad grocery shopping (accidental/intended not sure??), GPS, and voice bots.  I can do only linear conversations -- this is just all over the place.  So, what am I doing at the moment -- being lost in this conversation!!!!!

image.png.5b73660a7c784a6b45395779fa39a1ab.png

Edited by Martian5
  • Haha 7

Thinking about trying the "Wim Hof Method."  Not for the health benefits or to prove my ability to endure.  It's just so damn hot out there.

Now to figure out the risk/reward of effectively cooling off versus having my balls totally ascend into my body.

image.png.d1f4d5aba2705e64cce68b7f8e801204.png

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1