What are you doing right now

notsmokinjo

@Linda Thomas sending you strength vibes for tomorrow and the days ahead. So even though he can be a nasty old codger at times and makes your life hard he's still you dad so of course it's hard and a bit of a shock. All the best for him and your mum behaving tomorrow and also keeping you all in my prayers.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

Just got back from emergency room.  My dad fell and finally hurt himself pretty good.  He has broken 5 ribs and the doctor says patients my dad's age do not do well with that many broken ribs.  They are transporting him to the intensive care unit at another hospital.  He says this could be a downhill battle for him.  I did not think I would be so emotional with the thought of possibly losing my dad.  He was so stubborn refusing to go to the hospital and got really mad when I called the rescue squad.  I feel so wide awake but know I need to go to bed to get my mom back to the hospital early.  

Oh, dear one.

Remember to breathe and protect yourself.

You have stars in your crown.

These trials are bound to bring up ambivalent feelings,

none of your feelings make you a bad person or a weak one.

You are just a beautiful human.

We love you so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Linda ThomasI was imagining you at the hospital with your parents,

which got me to thinking how smoking enabled me to remove myself from situations or people.

I had to go outside for a smoke.

Now, I just get to go outside and away from the cray to center myself and have nice breaths of oxygen.

The smokey part is unnecessary but, taking a break with yourself is very necessary.

So, take breaks by yourself.  Go wash your face.  Take the stairs up or down to work off some anxiety.

Find a secret waiting room.  They have a chapel.  Take care of yourself.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

@Linda ThomasI was imagining you at the hospital with your parents,

which got me to thinking how smoking enabled me to remove myself from situations or people.

I had to go outside for a smoke.

Now, I just get to go outside and away from the cray to center myself and have nice breaths of oxygen.

The smokey part is unnecessary but, taking a break with yourself is very necessary.

So, take breaks by yourself.  Go wash your face.  Take the stairs up or down to work off some anxiety.

Find a secret waiting room.  They have a chapel.  Take care of yourself.

Thanks @Sazerac.  You always are full of such wise advice.  This rings so true for me also.  I am not craving the smokes but my emotions are sure all over the place.  Feeling guilt because I was resenting the responsibility my parents had become.  I actually found myself leaving and finding quiet spots during the day.  My mother is a very unhappy soul and I need to take her in small increments.  

My mother can not drive herself to the hospital and cannot stay over night because my dad is in ICU.  This means I will be spending more time with her.

So glad to know you are there to help guide me through.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Linda, sorry about your dad and the stress you are dealing with right now.

In the time that you have been here, you've shown yourself to be strong and resilient.  That helps a lot.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Linda, sorry to hear about your Dad.....and I will say a prayer for both him, your Mom and you...as you deal with this stressful event. You learned how strong you are in the last few months...find a quiet place at the hospital and breathe deep whenever you feel overwhelmed. :100_pray: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

How are you today Sweetheart....

My dad is holding on okay but he had 5 broken ribs in the front and back and a one punctured the lung and it is partially collapsed.  My dad is 90 and the doctors say that this scenario is very difficult for someone that age.  The broken ribs are so painful, they do not want to breath properly and pneumonia will set in.  They have a hard time controlling pain because of meds that my father is on.   They have a trauma team in ICU that work with these patients.  If they can get the pain controlled and breathing okay, he will most likely have to go into rehab.  They say it takes at least 6 weeks to heal.

Right now, I am driving my mom back and forth.  I am having to deal with that morning work traffic, which are a breed of their own.  Before, when my dad was in the hospital, mom could stay over night.  She can not do that in ICU, so then I have to bring her home.  

Both Mom and Dad can be mentally exhausting.  Today, on my way home, I was sure romancing that cigarette.  Instead, I stopped and bought donuts, which I need like a whole in the head!

Tonight, I am suppose to go out to dinner with my girl friends, to celebrate my birthday coming up.  I am going.  My husband is going do the taxi service to the hospital.

Who knows, I might even have a drink with them.  I have been running on empty since Saturday!

Thanks for asking and thanks for all the caring wishes and prayers.

When I can't sleep at night, I sit and read over the threads and think "Damn Linda, you give some pretty good advice to the newbies".  Where would I be if I did not heed my own advice.

Smoking is off my table!

• Like 4

Thanks for the update Linda, you have a lot of positive thoughts and prayers going your way! Glad you're heeding your own advice during this difficult time because you're right, you give REALLY good advice :)

Glad hubby is helping out tonight so you can enjoy a night with the girls, I'll have a beer for you too :) xoxo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aww Linda ,even non smokers would find this situation hard ....

You are doing Amazin...really....you are so much stronger than you think...

Yes go out ...you deserve some rest from it all...

I will pray for your dad ...it's a hard thing to come back from at his age ...but ...I've seen it done ...

Check your in  box .xxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You DO give great advice, Linda, and I am glad to know you are heeding your great advise !

It is great that your Beloved is taking up the slack tonight.

Is there any way Mother can get in a taxi for the rides to and fro or even just a to or a fro ?

Your brothers ?

Try to have a good time tonight, blow it out gfriend.

Remember you are loved.

s

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Is there any way Mother can get in a taxi for the rides to and fro or even just a to or a fro ?

Your brothers ?

I wish!  Mom has a bad foot and walks with a rolator.  She can not walk long distances.  I have to take her in in a wheelchair.  Neither of my brothers have been in to see him.  He could die and they haven't even gone to see him.  It is actually easier to keep them out of the equation because it is very distressing for me to deal with them.  

If my dad can get out of intensive care, my mom would just stay the night with him.  They have been married 65 years.  They hate each other at home but when he is in the hospital, they are like two love birds.

So grateful I can vent on here and you all keep me sane!

• Like 2

right now it is 49 degrees at my desk and 51 degrees outside ? go figure ? I am getting ready to warm up with a Winnerschnitzel chilli burger.

I left my Jacket at home so be fore I eat them they are my hand warmers, along with my tigger coffee mug.

time to chew  later

image.png.24c02b3fd0ee2b3b55a60606ce49e021.png

Edited by Opah
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Opah said:

You know Linda a lot of time the Hospitles have vans available to bring and take people to and from the hospitle.  It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see.

This is a great idea, Opah !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Opah said:

You know Linda a lot of time the Hospitles have vans available to bring and take people to and from the hospitle.  It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see.

Thanks Opah, I am definitely tired and need a break.  I was thinking of trying Uber.  My mom can not get into a van or any vehicle with a step up.  If I can at least get her there.  My husband or I can bring her home.

2 hours ago, jillar said:

Thinking of you @Linda Thomas and hope your dad is doing better today. Xoxo

My dad is hanging in there.  He may be moved out of ICU tomorrow.  Still trying to manage the pain so that he will breath properly.  Once they get it managed, he will be moved to rehab.

They say it will take 6 weeks for the ribs to heal and that they will be painful for most of that time.  Once he gets in rehab, it will be intensive work on his lungs and moving.  Rehab is closer to our home, so I was hoping my mom might be able to get herself there but of course they are talking big storm this weekend and a polar vortex following.

I almost had an SOS day today.  I was tired, crabby and mad at the world.  I was having that jump out of the skin kind of day.  I thought I was past these kind of feelings.  Those thoughts of inhaling that smoke and thinking that it would give me that feeling of relaxation.  When did I connect smoking with being the process that made me think I was in control of my life.

Thanks goodness I can work through my feelings and realize they are just emotions I don't want to deal with.  Giving in to smoking would be just giving into defeat.  

So instead, being tired, I am going to bed and know that tomorrow will be a new day and a nope day. 

Edited by Linda Thomas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Glad things are improving for your dad. But more glad and so proud of the way you kept your quit....and I'm glad if you hadn't been able to work through it yourself you were going to SOS.... @Linda Thomas....you smoke free wonderful creature..I love the upgrade you...and all it took was the smoke to clear for you to see yourself for the brilliant chick you are.

• Like 2