I Didn't Quit Today

Lilly

Welcome to QuitTrain, Lily. 

I had many short quits too but once I found a support group and learned about nicotine addiction, quitting was a lot more doable.  I learned that life without cigarettes really is a much better life.

Stick close to this site.  Read and participate often.  The support and knowledge you get here can help you quit smoking for good.

• Like 1

Hey Lily and welcome to our family of quitters. I was the same as you 1 year ago. Sick, coughing fits due to my cold and still going out into the snow and cold to smoke! Crazy!! I stopped because I knew that same scene would keep repeating itself over and over until I quit for good.  It IS doable Lily. Stick around here and educate yourself about this addiction. Knowledge is key to quitting for good. This is an addiction and you have to outsmart it with knowledge. It will try and lure you back in many ways but you CAN beat it. Go to the NOPE pledge page and pledge your nope every day.

Take this 1 hour and one day at a time for now. Lots of new quitters here to share your journey with.

Welcome again :)

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Lily, I recently quit also and I am finding things so much better now.  As said take one hour, one day at a time.  Come here often to research and reach out to others, knowledge and support are key and both are found here.  It is somewhat difficult but now as hard as you may think, quitting is doable.  Remember to pledge NOPE each day, heck hourly if needed.  Do some deep breathing techniques and drink plenty of cold water and you will get there.

• Like 1

Wise choice, try and remember that miserable feeling the next time you think about smoking again. Keep busy and find something to replace the crutch of smoking. Understand why we smoke and how to deal with withdrawal and the triggers are key early on. Like mention education is important. Good luck

• Like 1

Congrats on taking the quit step... I'm new enough in this quit to remember those first hours, days etc... biggest tip celebrate every hour for the first few days, then count days, but take it i day at a time. You can do this. Read as much as you can about nicotine addiction and be kind to yourself. Sing out if you need support because I am sure everyone here will be champin at the bit to help you keep your quit.

Good luck and chookas.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Lily.  Quitting smoking and staying quit is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.

42 minutes ago, Lily said:

I  just hope I don't go back as soon as I get better

You don't need to hope and wish, just make it happen.  Make the commitment to yourself and follow that path with relentless determination.  You have all the power and the choice is yours.  Choose freedom.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Boo said:

Welcome aboard Lily.  Quitting smoking and staying quit is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.

You don't need to hope and wish, just make it happen.  Make the commitment to yourself and follow that path with relentless determination.  You have all the power and the choice is yours! .  Choose freedom.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

Welcome, Lily.  Boo is exactly right.  You have to decide that there is absolutely no circumstance when it is okay to smoke.  It is okay to scream, cry, pray, rant, rave, curse,dance, sing at the top of your lungs, shower 5 times a day (you can't smoke in the shower) punch inanimate objects and post here 90 times a day.  It is NOT okay to smoke!  You can do this!

• Like 2

There is no hoping to make a quit happen Lily, there is just determination.  You have all the power to make this happen. We've all been through where you are now are we got through to the other side and so can you!

You have made the right decision. Now be strong and make it happen. I promise you it will be worth it.

Lily, good to have you around.

Nothing like crappy weather to prompt a start. I'm still new in my quit and remember well the early days. It's tough, but well worth it.

Read, educate yourself and make the leap that means you just don't want to smoke ever.

Use the Nope pledge, it really helps and make sure you reach out if the going gets tough.

This will be your best decision ever. Stay close!

Welcome Lily, and I hope you get better soon, though I was the same as you a few weeks ago, heavy cold, sore throat etc and used that as a stating point to my quit. I actually hoped my throat would be sore for a while to keep me from lighting up and it worked.

You have had good advice here, yep keep yourself busy, or sleep, you cant light up when your asleep! read lots and post lots, you can do this if you want it enough.

• Like 1

Hi Lilly ~ hang in there. Hopefully you've learned from your many short-lived quits that the first few weeks are the hardest. It'll be 9 years for me on April 9, 2018. Everyone avoided me like the plague for the first two weeks. I was so mean and hateful, and as a result, there are still bodies buried all over Dallas. ;) I'm a new member to this board, but was previously with QSMB and it was great to have a place where I could go and beatch and moan and people understood. One help was that I cut up straws the length of a cigarette and sucked on those things. 

They were all over the house and in every purse! You can do it. Remember "Not One Puff Ever" = NOPE to cigarettes. Praying for you.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, Lilly said:

Hi ?

I quit nearly 9 hours ago!! I have had thousands of quits during my smoking career but always go back to the sticks within hours. 

I have had a cold, cough and sore throat and was still going outside in the snow to smoke. Today every puff felt like it was ripping my throat and chest so I said enough is enough. I  just hope I don't go back as soon as I get better ? 

Welcome, Lilly.

Like you, many of us used cold/cough illness to jump start our quits, our Successful quits !

Use this down time to read about your addiction, what to expect and  how others have come out the other side stronger...better.

Watch the vids. 

Sleep peacefully knowing you never have to smoke again

and get well soon.

Welcome to Quit Train CAquitter!! Be sure to post up your daily NOPE on the Daily NOPE page. It's a great way to start your day and keep you focused on your daily goal! Be sure to read all you can here and watch the Joel videos (library is available on the main page). Stay around and participate all you can. It really helps :)

• Like 1