I'm Going To Be Richer!

Reciprocity

4 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

People will smoke no matter what the cost. Just ask those down under who were paying a ridiculous amount of money for a pack of smokes. It's like any drug. People will buy the drug before food :40_rage:

i read in the news paper out here about stores that get busted allowing cigg sales to be used on EBT cards.... Thats just what they do at the deli's /bodega that do it for them, the drug(cigg) over food . Terrible

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 7:04 PM, barry said:

I bought the nice iPad Pro that I’m communicating with you fine folks with, completely purchased with “found money” funded by my quit! ?

As I think I may have already mentioned, I have saved over $5K in the year and a bit I have been quit.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Provincial Budget issued yesterday and they have added yet an additional $4.00/carton onto the cost of cigarettes :25_money_mouth:

Between the Federal and Provincial budgets in 2018 alone that's $5.00/carton additional cost. I'm not sure what the objective is with all of this but I DO KNOW what will happen. These additional costs will drive even more smokers to the illegal cigarette market. Already, before this most recent increase, there are places in this province (mostly the northern communities) where anywhere between 75 & 85% of cigarettes consumed are of the illegal nature. By illegal I mean cigarettes produced by aboriginal peoples for sale and consumption tax free by aboriginal peoples on aboriginal owned land. This new price hike will drive the illicit trade in these smokes even higher because nothing is being done to stop it. The current rate of production by aboriginal peoples is reported to be around 10,000 cigs. per minute. They may need to put on a night shift now :32_expressionless:

I expect the hikes may discourage some younger folk from starting to smoke but it will do little to make those already addicted quit. 

• Sad 1

Reci -

What about the options for someone to buy their own tubes, bags of tobacco, and a machine like the top-o-matic? It has a crank on it.

When I smoked I used to smoke about a pack and a half each day and the cost was only about $10 a week, $1.25 a pack. They were not very good or strong cigarettes though but better than $5 a pack for pre-rolled.

4 minutes ago, Jetblack said:

Reci -

What about the options for someone to buy their own tubes, bags of tobacco, and a machine like the top-o-matic? It has a crank on it.

When I smoked I used to smoke about a pack and a half each day and the cost was only about $10 a week, $1.25 a pack. They were not very good or strong cigarettes though but better than $5 a pack for pre-rolled.

I did the "roll-your-own" thing for awhile back in the day but I was too lazy to keep ahead of what I was smoking so that fell by the wayside at some point even though the cost was more for store bought. I really don;t see that rolling equipment around much any more where I am. I suppose it still exists. The tobacco though that is sold legally will be taxed more as of today regardless. The only tobacco tax that isn't going up today here is for tobacco products processed on aboriginal owned land (Indian reserves to be blunt). There in lies the issue. Government raises tax on tobacco and tobacco products which in turn drives people to the "non-taxed" products. I don't really care any more because I plan to never smoke again but it just pisses me off because it's so "typical" of a government solution to a problem ......... create a bigger problem LOL!!

• Like 1

Remember the coupons  ???.

I swear I near killed myself just to get a bath towel ,that probably cost next to nothin... Crazy thinking...

Cheap glitzy lighters...all gold looking...oh I was so proud to own that...crazy thinking....

All I had to was quit.... And I would have been richer than I was then....crazy thinking ....

• Like 1

stores had the buy two packs get a third pack free or buy three packs with a free t-shirt... Everyone suddenly had $ for the 3 pack t-shirt deal, just like a drug dealer the tobacco co took advantage of the people weakness and addiction .... I still have Marlboro, camel and Newport T-shirts that i never wore but saved... Marlboro had that pts thing to get rewards that took a while. When the ciggs started to go up here BIG in late 90's early 2000's the indian reservations on the internet were big ... People got caught using them and had to pay back taxes

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

I swear I near killed myself just to get a bath towel ,that probably cost next to nothin... Crazy thinking...

Cheap glitzy lighters...all gold looking...oh I was so proud to own that...crazy thinking....

All I had to was quit.... And I would have been richer than I was then....crazy thinking ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

If you had quit, how would you have dried yourself off after the bath??

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2018 at 11:07 AM, reciprocity said:

I think a carton was about $80.00 - $90.00 when I quit so they would be more now but, the people who are really paying through the nose are the people down-under. I believe they are paying $25.00 a pack there :52_fearful: Maybe Givein can confirm that? Just goes to show, people will smoke no matter what the cost!!

Are you ready for this... I smoked the cheapest brand and a 40 pack would last me 1.5 to 2 days... When I quit a pack cost me $38.90 at the tobby ... 65% of that is taxes... Just checked the other day (cos I wanted to prove to myself u could walk into a Toby and not buy... and I didn't even want to) and my cheap ar5e floor sweeping brand if durries was $42 per pack 40... Now that's Aussie dollars but if I was still smoking that would be about $650 per month on just me... So in real world money that's is:

US $499.36

UK £355.89

€ 405.18

Canadian $ 643.97 (just for Reci)

Per frickin month...where the frucking is it??.. Oh wait, the kid has fancy shoes, and new uniforms not second hand, and take out dinner once a week... Steaks for dinner instead of snags and mince.

OMFG... Just realised I haven't had 2 minute noodles for dinner since December.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Are you ready for this... I smoked the cheapest brand and a 40 pack would last me 1.5 to 2 days... When I quit a pack cost me $38.90 at the tobby ... 65% of that is taxes... Just checked the other day (cos I wanted to prove to myself u could walk into a Toby and not buy... and I didn't even want to) and my cheap ar5e floor sweeping brand if durries was $42 per pack 40... Now that's Aussie dollars but if I was still smoking that would be about $650 per month on just me... So in real world money that's is:

US $499.36

UK £355.89

€ 405.18

Canadian $ 643.97 (just for Reci)

Per frickin month...where the frucking is it??.. Oh wait, the kid has fancy shoes, and new uniforms not second hand, and take out dinner once a week... Steaks for dinner instead of snags and mince.

OMFG... Just realised I haven't had 2 minute noodles for dinner since December.

I knew the cost was pretty insane in Aussiland :52_fearful: It's nice to be able to use all that money for stuff other than killing ourselves :25_money_mouth:

• Like 1

I think it's great to make the cost of cigarettes prohibitively expensive since it has been shown to stop young people from smoking. What I object to is that they don't put that money into research for smoking related illnesses.

• Like 1

So they are pricing tobacco out of affordability.

Their excuse for wanting people to quit - they say it raises health costs for everyone, not just smokers.

Does that mean once everyone quits smoking (due to cost) that health care costs will decrease for patients?