What Have You Done With Money Saved?

Reciprocity

So has anyone here put the money they save from not smoking away in a special account & actually bought something that they wouldn't have otherwise?

I figure by now I have saved $5,000.00. It's just going to other things now I guess. I did not make an effort to put it away and save it for something special. Just wondering if anyone has actually done that. After all, most of us don't quit because of the cost but it's a substantial amount of money we used to spend feeding our addiction..

• Like 2

Well at this point I have not been in the quit long enough to have huge savings but I am seeing a definite financial benefit.  Since I am retired and on the so called "fixed" income I am now seeing money still in the bank at the end of the month since quitting.  Out here cigarettes are $8.30 a pack so there is significant savings there.  At the rate I smoked it is almost a $300.00 savings per month.  If I can save enough I may take some kind of trip at my one year mark.  With your post it is something I am going to strongly look at.  

• Like 5

That's great M5! For sure see if you can put something aside to do something special at your 1 year mark! A trip would be a great idea. Smokes were $12.50 a pack of 25 when I quit last year. I don't know what they are now but I KNOW they have gone up. Probably around $14.00 for a pack of 25? I believe in Australia they are like $25.00 a pack or more. I can't even imagine :51_scream:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

At this point in my quit I cannot understand how I or anyone else would pay this much money only to make our lives worst, what addiction can do to you while under the influence.  Just another reason to enforce saying NOPE everyday.

• Like 4

My Mom asked me today if I ever thought about how much money I have saved...I told her I could look it up...over $14,000!  The first year I bought lots of things as rewards...an expensive brand of purse and other things I never would have spoiled myself with.  I took Bakon's advice seriously...first week a magazine, then a special hair brush or something I would never have spent money on.  I even ordered a bracelet that says NOPE at 3 months.

Now  I just notice I do not have to budget so much...breathing room for dinners out or trips!

• Like 6

I was going to buy a beautiful monster of a Nordic track elliptical about a month after I quit but my mom bought it for me as a present for quitting.  I've put it to very good use nearly every morning that I'm here.  When I'm not here, I go to the gym and that membership is a bit of a splurge after my last (cheaper) one closed abruptly but it's well worth it.  These are the main things that also fit in with my overall health goals but honestly, I treat myself very well since I've quit in more ways than monetarily- with rewards and such (which I haven't skimped on, believe me).  I've become more understanding and patient with myself through the practice of having had to fight myself to keep my quit, especially in the beginning.  I've also had to face a lot of the feelings that I realize now had been sublimated by smoking and the false sense of calm it gave.  This has been a challenging yet rewarding part of the quit for me.  Sorry if it sounds cheesy, but it's true: I feel like I'm my authentic self now. What better reward can you get?

• Like 5

I started off with little treats...I then saved up and bought my little Ted..A British Blue Shorthair Cat .from a good breeder...

Then I saved ..and had the most fantastic holiday in New York...spoiling myself every step of the way.....now it just goes in the bank ..till I want something..

• Like 3

With part of the money I saved, I turned by basement into a home gym.  Having a gym in the basement reaffirms my commitment to living a healthier lifestyle.  Living a healthier lifestyle reaffirms my commitment to never smoke again.  And never smoking again will allow me to save even more money.

It's a perfect circle.

• Like 5