How this board helps me stay quit.

JB 883

People are often offering the noobs advice, one being to read a lot on here. Reading doesn't do much good unless you read between the lines.

I have been off cigarettes for like four months or something. I remember when I first was planning an actual quit, I was thinking, "I wonder if I will make it a solid month" and somehow I did. I did not think I would last, honestly.

But about reading between the lines, I see several join up, are so hardcore about quitting, pledge NOPE or whatever, then relapse. Of course at that point they sometimes just vanish with their tails between their legs. Even though no one is judging, they feel shame etc.

For my own fight, the first three days were a bit tough but I did it. It was not until the third month hit that I started getting bad craves. I thought, "No one will know, I can just go buy some, smoke outside so no one smells it on me, and kind of hide it. I can smoke maybe one or two a day".

But I never actually went to buy them. There is only one cigarette that would do anyways and though I REALLY miss them sometimes, I figure this -

Do I want to be walking around with MY tail between my legs because I gave in to the nicotine addiction?

So many come in, talk a big talk, but cannot walk the walk for long. I do not want to be one of those. I came in, talked big, and figured I will look REAL dumb if I cave. Bakon might even call me a Window Licker if I relapsed. 

There are also those stories of people suffering serious health problems as a result of smoking. I do not want to end up with cancer or have to walk around with oxygen. I can see it now...

person on street - "So how exactly did this happen? (talking about my oxygen tank)

me - "Cause i smoked, I didn't listen to the people on Quit Train forum back in the 2010's. "

person on street - "WELLLL you dumb old twat, that was sure smart..."

I know what you are thinking - "Oh right, I bet she relapsed!"

No, I did not, you can come to my house and smell the place if you want. the only thing you will smell is my room mate farting a lot. she would kill me if she knew i said that.

TLDR - One should learn from others' mistakes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for this post Jet, gives me a lot to think about and what I have been thinking.  I have found on this forum I have to talk the talk and in turn that makes me want to walk the walk.  The main reason that is successful for quitting is usually that we want to quit for ourselves not for others and I feel that is true.  But we do need others along the way to help us see that it can be done -- those that understand us and the feelings, craves and the roller coaster that we go on -- That is why I come to this forum, It helps me keep going.  

• Like 5

There are a whole bunch of things you will find are disgusting about smoking that you used to think were perfectly normal because you chose to smoke. As you start to discover them all and reflect on the fact the you not longer have them attached to your person, you will become even more committed to your quit. Being a smoker is really such slavery. That is the most important benefit that I have identified since being quit. I am no longer scheduling my life around smoking activities :) My life is no bed of roses to be sure but at least I don't have to worry about all that smoking sh*t

• Like 2

There are so many beniefts of not smoking...from the day you quit, they just keep coming and coming... Some are big...some small you might no even notice them at first...

I still feel a huge sense of pride...to be free ... nearly 5 years later...

I carnt think of one benieft of  continuing to smoke ...

Im so happy for you guys...your going to feel that sense of pride too...

• Like 2

The strange part is that it wasn't even that hard for me to quit. The struggle did not start til three months in.

I doubt there have been any solid studies on this but sometimes i wonder if maybe those who just cannot quit maybe smoked much stronger cigarettes than I did.

I used to get my own tubes and this pipe tobacco called "Gambler" to make my own. TBH I am not even sure they contained any nicotine. They were some sorry-ass excuses for a smoke but come time to quit, it just didn't seem that hard.

So part of it is - I figure I had an easy start to quitting, why throw it away? Someone on here told me also that each time someone relapses and tries to quit again, it is harder.

It is weird also because when I first made a solid plan to quit (wean off over three days) I honest to God did not think I would last. Most of what I plan to do in life tends to not happen, I start and never finish. Maybe I am just too lazy and cheap to buy cigarettes. Sometimes I want a smoke like a country boy wants an inflatable sheep but no screw that. I will probably already have a heart attack from all the junk food I eat, no need to rush the process with smoking.

Edited by Jetblack
  • Like 2

Rolling/making Your own smokes only adds to the addiction. I have that same kit you’re talking about. Although I didn’t use it exclusively I did use it from time to time. More of a fun factor for me. Plus I couldnt make enough cigarettes for my addiction.

Keep on keeping on.

Octain, maybe not because at least Gambler tobacco just wasn't very strong. When I would smoke an actual cigarette like marlboro or camel I would almost pass out.

I do not think it adds to the addiction but I do know I jumped from 20 to 30 cigarettes a day making my own. One cause it was so cheap and also cause they just didn't have as much effect.

By the time i finally quit, it wasn't even that tough. It took three months before any serious cravings hit.

One of my ex friends who smokes used to mostly roll her own but would still buy actual packs like Camel. When I asked why she said, "Cause these (meaning rollies) just do not give me what i need".

What she REALLY needs is to quit. You would walk into her home and I kid you not, it was just this haze from so much cigarette smoke. Her ENTIRE LIFE consisted of smoking and feeling sorry for herself.

You know when I think of some of my friends who smoke, it is almost sad watching them feed that habit. just sitting there puffing away on a cig, looking dumb, smelling bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just like a drug addict laying out a line, or trying to find a vein, or making sure your “ rig” is ready, all adds to the addiction.  Any act of doing the drug adds to the addiction. Hell, even going to see your dope man is all part of the rush. Trust me, I know..

For me, my entire life is a trigger. Everything I do, everywhere I went, and everything said revolved around cigarettes. 

But I started quitting years ago  without even realizing it. 

We quit smoking in the house more than 10 years ago. I quit smoking that last cigarette right before bed. A cigarette was not the first thing I went to in the morning. I didn’t smoke after sex, unless we had sex outside LOL. 

But I still managed to smoke between 20 and 40 cigarettes a day.  After a meal, leaving a store or first thing when I got in my truck. Partying,  drinking and smoking weed made me want to smoke cigarettes, still does. 

My young son in law told me once that it doesn’t matter what I think or what triggers hit me as long as I don’t smoke. Simple enough.. yeah lol..

I like to be outside. Springtime is around the corner. I enjoy spending time in the garage working on motorcycles and such.   That’s when I smoked a lot. 

Triggers triggers triggers...

Going to have to figure out a way to enjoy my hobbies and what I enjoy the most without smoking.

6796295B-695D-4185-8487-F3324B4D9146.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right now ...I'm watching my life long friend life ebb away due to Pancreatic cancer...probably brought on by smoking...

A few months in to my quit ,I started to learn her all I had learned here....all fell on deaf ears....

When she was diagnosed at Xmas time...I felt this huge sense of how I had failed her...

How can I help these folks who are on the Train ,when I carnt even help the person who means the world to me...this went round and around my thoughts...

I came back here and listened to you newbies...and learned ....

You Can Lead A Horse To Water But Carnt Make It  Drink....we can only give the tools...you have to want to quit...and stay quit....

Thank you Newbies...sometime us old timers need  help too....

Glad your here..and I'm so happy for you all...freedom is wonderful...xxx

• Like 2

Nice one "D" :18_kissing_heart:

Hey Octain, here's my baby. And yes, hoping spring is coming sooner than later?

bhydjn.jpg

You'll be OK because you know there's a trigger coming and you've learned how to handle them now. It;s the ones that come at you by surprise that are the most dangerous. Just stay on your guard :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1

Doreen, I think you’re better suited to ride ‘bitch’ LOL.

Not calling you a ‘bitch’, just a figure of speech LOL…

Reciprocity, Maybe I’ll wear a full face helmet this year LOL. Used to wear a three-quarter or half helmet just so I could light up  at red lights.  Horrible, I know… 

What kind of bike is that?

• Haha 1

Good bike for the highway with lots of grunt down low for a 4 banger. A little top heavy for tight twisty stuff tho.

Have about 40,000 miles on it and yes, it's been babied in terms of maintenance :)

What's that Suzuki  in the foreground of your pic? It's an oldie but goodie. You could actually do a lot of your own work on the bikes with carbs. This Fi stuff - I have no clue when a fix is needed.

That’s a 1978 Suzuki GS1000.  I took it down to the frame, sandblasted and repainted and replaced everything that needed. I’m down to the bodywork now with the tank internals being incredibly rusty and dirty. Working on that… 

I do most all of my own work except things that require special high dollar tools.

I also have a 1983 GS 850 Shaft drive that has been hacked to hell but it’s still fun.  Kind of looks like a café bike. 

I’ve had several of these classic Suzuki’s that I buy cheap non running, fix up and sell. Sometimes I make a little bit, sometimes I lose a little bit. But I enjoy doing it.

BC7022EE-D3E2-41DC-84CA-A1A9E2C4741E.jpeg