How this board helps me stay quit.

JB 883

Octain - I do not really believe in "triggers" for smoking if someone smoked a lot. If someone smoked all the time, then is there such a thing as a non-trigger? All that aside -

The overall desire mostly declines. The reason for my three month crave hitting bad was perhaps either timing or the fact that i was rummaging a bunch of old magazine ads (found a bunch of old mags at thrift) and of course cigarette ads were every other page back then. There was one brand I thought was particularly neat looking but I never actually smoked them.

But yeah come Spring when you are in the garage with your bike, you will likely think of smoking but hopefully will not hit that three month thing. If you do, fight it like hell. I almost, almost caved during that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octain said:

Thanks. 

The carbs need redone on that one. Been sitting too long.

These bikes don’t care much for ethanol fuel.

Yes, ethanol is becoming a huge factor as they keep trying to increase the percentage in refined fuel :33_unamused:

1 hour ago, Jetblack said:

Octain - I do not really believe in "triggers" for smoking if someone smoked a lot. If someone smoked all the time, then is there such a thing as a non-trigger? All that aside -

The overall desire mostly declines. The reason for my three month crave hitting bad was perhaps either timing or the fact that i was rummaging a bunch of old magazine ads (found a bunch of old mags at thrift) and of course cigarette ads were every other page back then. There was one brand I thought was particularly neat looking but I never actually smoked them.

But yeah come Spring when you are in the garage with your bike, you will likely think of smoking but hopefully will not hit that three month thing. If you do, fight it like hell. I almost, almost caved during that time.

Things have smoothed out a little for you now tho right JB? Your situation sounds very unusual to me I must say. Who knows why we all go through different issues at different times during our quits but the main thing we all must do is fight like hell .... I mean, fight as if our life depends on it just to get through those times of challenge no matter when they come. I can't imagine you will be challenged to that level again though Jet.

2 hours ago, Jetblack said:

I do not really believe in "triggers" for smoking if someone smoked a lot. If someone smoked all the time, then is there such a thing as a non-trigger? 

That's a fair point.  Smoking is different from most chemical addictions in that smokers get their fix 20+ times-a-day.  All day, every day.  Good times, bad times, and everything in between.  If I had attempted to make a comprehensive list of every event in my life that led to me smoking afterwards, the triggers, I would still be working on that list right now.

That's why I advocate education for quitters, but too much planning ahead seems superfluous and can be counterproductive.  You won't know with any certainty how you will react along the way until you start the process.  It could be a baptism by fire or a series of pleasant surprises.  The quickest way to find out is to get right in the thick of the process.

• Like 2

^^^ Yup, that's the way I did it. Dove in head first, unplanned; I was just a dumb-f*ck know nothing, wide eyed and gob-smacked - LOL.

It doesn't matter as long as you edumakate yourself once quit and make an unwavering personal commitment not to ever take another puff - ever no matter what comes your way. It's just head down & push forward :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

I love this thread...

Half big blokey..look at the size of my bike...and the other half triggers ..I'm like ...okey good wheels..then oooerrr way to go jet ..you v,e got  this...

Mmmm....head spinning...whats going on ere ???? Lol...

Riding like a bitch.....I can live with that O !!!!.....

Carry on !!!!

• Haha 2

Well if someone is working on the fuel system of a bike, car, etc... that would be the time NOT to light up. Though if you do, it might well be your LAST smoke. Best case scenario is you will look like that Micheal Jackson Pepsi commercial that went wrong.

And with NOPE - still not really my style personally. Mine is more like - listen to the inner voice explaining how relaxing and tasty a cigarette would be. Then I tell it, "yeah sounds great but fcuk you, I would rather live".

If i ever do lose my job and have to do interviews again though, I will likely take the cigarettes back up. I mean how else would I be able to blow smoke up the asses of potential employers?

• 2 weeks later...