"Smoker's Flu" vs real flu

Katie

Is there a way to differentiate between having smoker's flu and real flu. I've been feeling yucky for a couple of days and it seems to be getting worse. I don't think I have a fever, but my whole body hurts and my head feels huge and my ears have been ringing for hours this morning. Is this a common sympton of quitting?

It's not one I experienced although I was pretty ill when I first quit anyway. The body aches you mention don't sound like part of what people describe as "quitter's flu". From what I've read, quitter's flu is more respiratory issues such as coughing up crap, sometimes sinus issues and or chest issues and possibly light headed feeling which is also sometimes referred to as "brain fog". That is more just an inability to focus or concentrate on anything. I could be wrong though. After all, I'm just a pig - not a Dr. :3_grin:

If those aches are in your muscles then I'm guessing it's the normal flu you have or are coming down with. It is prime flu season after all.

Edited by reciprocity

Hello Katie:

Being that we are now in flu season--and one of the worst flu seasons on record, this is an extremely important topic. Once past the first few days nothing should be written off as "a smokers" flu. This resource page addresses this issue:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/after-quitting-smoking-is-there-such-a-thing-as-the-quitters-flu/

I too never had the qitters flu....in fact I didn't get a cold for about two years ....when I smoked I was always getting colds...

Our bodies get messed up for a while...but the good news is..it's all temporary..... Keep going Kate.... The magic will happen...?

• Like 2

"Flu" is very rarely real, actual InFLUenza (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza)

Influenza is a *serious*, life-threatening, pathogen (500,000 deaths, worldwide, annually (in the past, up to a fifty million in a year!))

"Flu" is usually just folks catching some unidentified, seasonal and largely harmless bug with "flu-like symptoms". 

EZPZ

• Like 3

I had the flu bug during Christmas. I couldn’t do Christmas with my family, sucked. Fever, body ache, the whole nine…It came on quick, and went away quick. Really quick, I could feel it coming on and I could feel it going away. It lasted about 3 1/2 days. Sickest I’ve been in  10 years. 

It’s what prompted me to quit smoking. The clatter in my lungs and the cough were  terrible. 

If you start running a fever be sure and drink plenty of fluids. You won’t be hungry but you need to drink plenty of carbs. If you become dehydrated you’ll  really be in trouble.  In my case if I can’t break a fever with over-the-counter meds it’s time to go to the doctor. 

At any rate, don’t lose your quit. It gets easier. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2018 at 10:26 AM, Katie said:

Is there a way to differentiate between having smoker's flu and real flu. I've been feeling yucky for a couple of days and it seems to be getting worse. I don't think I have a fever, but my whole body hurts and my head feels huge and my ears have been ringing for hours this morning. Is this a common sympton of quitting?

Feeling "yucky" means you likely have intestinal worms and the fact that it is getting worse means they are growing. 

Your whole body hurting means you likely have come down with bone cancer. May or may not be related to smoking.

Head feeling huge is just a brain tumor.

Ringing ears is tinnitus. You may have to just learn to live with it.

Sometimes quitting can cause some ill feelings as well. Sometimes people just pass away in their sleep as a symptom of quitting smoking. 

The best thing to do is start making "final decisions".

None of this may happen though, only 2 out of 5 ex-smokers experience nocturnal bucket-kicking so any one of us has a GOOD 60% chance of survival into those years when we need bed pans :)

On 1/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, Joel Spitzer said:

Hello Katie:

Being that we are now in flu season--and one of the worst flu seasons on record, this is an extremely important topic. Once past the first few days nothing should be written off as "a smokers" flu. This resource page addresses this issue:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/after-quitting-smoking-is-there-such-a-thing-as-the-quitters-flu/

Thing is, EVERY year they say, "Oh this is the worst flu season ever" and invent some new strand or strain or whatever it is called when we cough up blood and need to be hooked on life support.

Typically for young people the life support is a lap top with FB and twitter.

• Like 1

The biggest tell-tale is simply "Do you have a fever?"

You can tell you have a fever by checking your temp.  

If its elevated, you have a fever.

If you are dancing and have a fever then you have Boogie Fever.   It's terminal.

If you have a fever, consider it flu and treat it accordingly. 

Otherwise you got's the creeping crud.

Edited by Sirius
  • Haha 1