So --- Finally the moment has come

Martian5

Hello all, my name is Jerry.  I have been a heavy smoker for over 40 years.  As the title states the moment has finally come and I have the stupid concerns of  the fears about quitting.  For several reasons I have finally come to the conclusion that nicotine will have no more control over me.  I have been reading on this site  as well as others for the past few days and decided to jump on to this forum as my choice.  I have spent quite a bit of time the last couple of days reading and researching.   Anyway I will continue to read and reach out for support as needed.  I took the dive on Jan. 4th so I am completing my 8th day of no nicotine, no cigs, I have gone completely cold turkey -- all in so to say.  It has had its up and  downs but I am doing this, at this time it is one day at a time and I relish in that every evening.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Jerry.

First of all, congratulations on one-week quit.  Eight-days down and taking the time to educate yourself about the true nature of addiction...that's how rock-solid quits are built.

Grab a seat and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

I agree with Boo! You are approaching this thing properly with education about the addiction itself and how to beat it! I too went cold turkey and it isn't easy but you get it all over with up front. Just need to retrain your brain to function normally again without smoking being a major part of your daily life. Once you get that done, it;s great and you will be so much better off. No longer a slave to nicotine :) Look forward to seeing you on the site often. Be sure to post up on the daiy NOPE page. Itls the only way to start your day :) NOPE stands for Not One Puff Ever by the way.

By the way, most of us here were long time smokers too. If we can do it then, you can too!! :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

Hello Jerry:

You mentioned that you have certain fears regarding your quitting but did not mention what these fears are.

Here is a resource page I have addressing the different fears surrounding quitting. Basically though, quitting smoking is not what people should fear as much as not quitting smoking and facing the problems that smoking can cause. Hope you find these resources helpful.

Joel

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/fears-regarding-smoking-and-quitting//

• Like 3

Hi Jerry and welcome. I also smoked 40 years and finally just had enough of it. Just want you to know that with education, support and an unshakable commitment you can overcome this insidious addiction.

8 days is a great accomplishment....something to be proud of. Hope to hear from you a lot in the coming weeks and months. You are doing this!

• Like 2

You made it past the three day mark which to some is a killer.

Supposedly three week and three month are also huge speed bumps. Three week didn't phase me but three month, I nearly went out to buy some.

Ups and downs yes but overall it gets easier, especially when you notice the good effects of no smoking.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the support and encouragement.  I appreciate this and helps a great deal.  Joel thanks for the link to the video, also as to the fears what I had meant to refer to is that my fears about quitting were stupid and to let that go so the commitment to quitting could go forward.  Again thanks to all and look forward to this journey with your support.

• Like 3

I forgot to use the quote feature when replying to Jerry so copied what was here to the post below.

Is there a way for a member to delete his or her own post on the board?

Edited by Joel Spitzer
Forgot to use the quote feature of the board to make sure member was notified of the response.

8 hours ago, Martian5 said:

Thank you all for the support and encouragement.  I appreciate this and helps a great deal.  Joel thanks for the link to the video, also as to the fears what I had meant to refer to is that my fears about quitting were stupid and to let that go so the commitment to quitting could go forward.  Again thanks to all and look forward to this journey with your support.

Hello Jerry:

That is what a number of the resources on that page were addressing---although not that the fears were stupid as much as they were irrational. Yet they are fears that are very common and keep many smokers from even trying to quit. Also, mentioned above was the comment about expected problems at other specific time periods after a quit. Check out the resource pages http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/the-terrible-3s/ and http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/predestined-bad-days-after-quitting-2/. That second page has lots of additional resources on the bottom addressing longer term issues that can generate fears for smokers first trying to quit and help explain why most of these fears are also unwarranted.

The last fear that I am going to address on here is how many people fear they are destined to relapse. As the page fear of relapse addresses though this fear is totally unwarranted for anyone who makes AND sticks to his or her personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Edited by Joel Spitzer
Fixed links to the resource pages. Original links showed but did not hyperlink over.

One other page I think that is worth adding here is http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/use-of-the-terms-nicodemon-and-hell-week/

It addresses a couple of commonly terms that people often use when regarding quitting that their imagery can cause fears in people considering quitting. Again, they are highlighting issues that are unwarranted fears. 

1 hour ago, Joel Spitzer said:

I forgot to use the quote feature when replying to Jerry so copied what was here to the post below.

Is there a way for a member to delete his or her own post on the board?

I think only the "Bosses" can delete an entire post. Us mere mortals would likely abuse that power :6_smile:

Hi Jerry. A lot of good support here. A lot of good folks with only one priority, quitting.

Keep up the good work.

Something that works for me, I repeat this to myself several times a day. 

They have nothing to offer us. They take away our time, money and health.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Martian5 said:

Looks like we are very close as to the start date, we have this,.  

I too noticed that too.

Not sure about you buy I'm  a huge routine freak so by not smoking isn't the only thing that changed in my life.

It blows me away how much of my daily life revolved around that next cigarette.

Lets keep it going..

• Like 1

I can only agree.  My daily like is very routine and I thought I knew how much my life revolved around cigarettes, boy was I wrong -- my life almost completely centered around them and that is changing  and now that I can see that -- helps with the motivation

• Like 1

I never realized how much time I wasted smoking.

I think  what is the worse, we smoked in the garage. Which *was* my favorite room in the house.(all my stuff is out there)

Its now my least favorite room in the house. Huge trigger for me to go out there so I dont. I don't even enter the house through the garage anymore. I use the front door, more like a normal person.. lol..

I also drive for a living, another tough one. Music helps with that.

Luckily we never smoked in the house else I'd really be screwed.

Do you notice that you're breathing better? I think that's the most significant thing for me so far.

But for some reason, I cant stop clearing my throat, weird..

This forum is a big help for me.

One day at a time!

Just now, Octain said:

I never realized how much time I wasted smoking.

I think  what is the worse, we smoked in the garage. Which *was* my favorite room in the house.(all my stuff is out there)

Its now my least favorite room in the house. Huge trigger for me to go out there so I dont. I don't even enter the house through the garage anymore. I use the front door, more like a normal person.. lol..

I also drive for a living, another tough one. Music helps with that.

Luckily we never smoked in the house else I'd really be screwed.

Do you notice that you're breathing better? I think that's the most significant thing for me so far.

But for some reason, I cant stop clearing my throat, weird..

This forum is a big help for me.

One day at a time!

Check out these resource pages:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/videos-related-to-facing-or-avoiding-triggers/ Addresses the garage

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/smoking-breaks/ Addresses the time issue

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/why-many-people-cough-more-after-quitting/ Addresses one reason why you may be clearing your throat quite often

Just now, Martian5 said:

Yes breathing has become better for me, much better.   And I am going to have to watch my weight, my taste is coming back big time as of today -- food is a whole new thing to me now. 

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/feel-how-smoking-affects-the-lungs/ addresses breathing issues

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/does-everything-smell-and-taste-better-after-you-quit-smoking/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/weight-related-videos/

7 minutes ago, Martian5 said:

Yes breathing has become better for me, much better.   And I am going to have to watch my weight, my taste is coming back big time as of today -- food is a whole new thing to me now. 

Weight gain may or may not happen but yeah, you will likely obsess about food for a while. However, do not be shocked if some foods start to taste gross. I can no longer eat peanut butter, it just tastes like a stale burp. Mostly though you just start to notice flavors a lot more.

Even though, over-eating is probably better than smoking.