My turn i guess. (trigger warnings)

JB 883

I heard from my doctor once that at the 3 month mark theres some kind of second withdrawal. I didnt experince it myself because i was climbing walls 5 months straight but, yeah, there seems to happen something special after 3 months. Maybe a swan song.

4 hours ago, MrTitwank said:

I heard from my doctor once that at the 3 month mark theres some kind of second withdrawal. I didnt experince it myself because i was climbing walls 5 months straight but, yeah, there seems to happen something special after 3 months. Maybe a swan song.

Here is a resource page that addresses what some people refer to as "The terrible threes"

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/the-terrible-3s/

Also be sure to check out the page http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/predestined-bad-days-after-quitting-2/

On 1/17/2018 at 2:15 AM, Jetblack said:

Update -

I only smoked about 12 packs of Camel non-filters since starting this thread so I am not doing too bad. Only two packs a day.

OK kidding aside - I managed to make it through that tough period. At some point Sunday Jan 14th, it is like the intense craves just kind of stopped. They hit hard and sudden then just... gone. So I guess it is back down to "I would like one" instead of going nuts wanting one.

Congrats on 3 months, its been a little over a month for me and i get the same way.Its  not as bad as the first week, but my mind sometimes yell for a cigarette too.Today I kept assuming I would smoke.

I appreciate you sharing so i won't be so discouraged that i am still getting calls from nicotine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Latoya said:

Congrats on 3 months, its been a little over a month for me and i get the same way.Its  not as bad as the first week, but my mind sometimes yell for a cigarette too.Today I kept assuming I would smoke.

I appreciate you sharing so i won't be so discouraged that i am still getting calls from nicotine. 

Latoya it was probably 5 or 6 months for me where I would go though at least short bouts of "I want a smoke" inside my head then, I think just through having read so much material on smoking and the addiction it really is I realized one day, I actually no longer wanted to smoke as a free choice I was making on my own without being pushed to make that choice. That was when I knew I had broken the back of my struggle. It was a happy realization to make.

We are all different and the timing is not the same for all but, stick with your quit and daily NOPE to yourself and you too will find your moment when you realize smoking is in your past permanently :)

• Like 3

Ahh...Romancing the cigarette...

This is something that happens ,when we have gone so far into our quits...

We forget the reasons we wanted to quit...the stink...the fatal illnesses that happen ...

Our brains are our worst enemies...

Keep going..we promise it will get easier..... X

• Like 2

I feel that there are certain triggers that cause me to want a smoke. Stress is number one, evening is number 2 and “just because” is number 3. I’m really liking the smell of fresh washed hair after a shower & not worrying that my clothes stink of smoke. I try to remember all this when my brain tries to trick me into having a smoke...it really sucks when you feel “needy” though. I chew gum & the icy flavour seems to help...I likely look like a cow chewing her cud vigorously lol but if it stops me from smoking so be it. Hang on! You can do this ?

• Like 1

Oh the triggers...

I am certainly not an authority on this but I go way out of my way to avoid those triggers. I have a enough  during my daily routine that I can’t avoid.  I most certainly don’t want to walk into any of them if I don’t have to. 

I try to the things that never involved smoking when I smoked.  For example, go for a walk, have sex, take a shower and stay in the house  just to name a few. These are all things that I  do that did not involve smoking. 

My mind always tells me that a cigarette will make certain situation better. But I know this is not the case. This is just my addictive personality playing tricks on me. It’s cold,  my ass hurts from driving, the person in front of me not using a turn signal, the radio signal sucks. Ahh, a cigarette will make it all better… Bullshit!!

Last weekend was tough for me but I had to do it. My wife plays neighborhood tennis and I wanted join in on the spectator activities. It’s a good time, beer, friends, outside and food( everyone brings a covered dish  of whatever food theme is pre-designated)  Did I mention beer? It was a beautiful day weatherwise but this little activity used to involve a lot of smoking for me. I made it through  relatively easily but I was thinking about it. Next time it will be easier.

I drive for a living and  I am on a time crunch. Talk about stress LOL.

Granted, I am in and out of my truck several times a day but sometimes I find myself wanting to light up when I get into my truck, or do  have time to smoke one before my next stop . Something I always did, all the time, every time. But even this is getting easier. I don’t find myself going for a cigarette as much anymore.  It’s wonderful! 

Just keep in mind the thoughts will go away. They WILL go away. They always do, every, single, time...

It gets easier… 

Cigarettes do nothing for us. They do absolutely nothing, NOTHING, except take your time, your money and your health✊?✊?✊?

It literally makes me sick to my stomach when I think about how much these things have taken from me over the years. They have taken my time, my money and my health. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you brain will relearn how to live life comfortably as a non-smoker but that is the part that does take awhile to really get to the point where everything just flows nicely and you just don't even think about smoking/ At least, that's been my experience. In the earlier part of my quit I would try and force myself to think about something other than cigarettes when I got those mild cravings. It took a while but I got quite good at it after awhile. I could switch to thinking about almost anything in seconds as soon as I felt my mind starting to focus on having a smoke. It does work though. You can control your thoughts.

• Like 3