I quit. That's that.

5 hours ago, Berkshiredrifter said:

I have quit nicotine. I was supposed to quit yesterday, ran out of smokes and excuses around two and a half hours ago. 

You know what flipped my switch? I accepted that nicotine won't make me feel better, nicotine is what made me feel like crap. 

This is so true...when we smoke we are in constant withdrawal ...the hundreds of chemicals being sucked in every twenty minutes or so...make us feel crap.

We just get used to feeling this way....

It takes 3 days...for all the nicotine to leave your body.....soon enough you will be feeling the beniefts...

Read all the stuff you can here...watch all the videos...

Go post your first NOPE...of your new life...

You can do it !!!

• Like 2

Great decision Berk.  This is one area of your life you have the power to make an impactful change.  There will likely be deceitful temptations and curve balls along the way.  But when you finally come out the other side you'll feel like a whole new person.  You can do this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Berkshiredrifter said:

NOPE! No nicotine, no tobacco, not ever again. I am craving a bit, its (roughly) hour 19 for me. But its not bad. Keeping busy, got up this morning and just WENT. Staying with a friend who doesn't smoke for the first few days. 

High Five B ...keep marchin..your doing great...I too changed my morning habits...!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berkshiredrifter said:

NOPE! No nicotine, no tobacco, not ever again. I am craving a bit, its (roughly) hour 19 for me. But its not bad. Keeping busy, got up this morning and just WENT. Staying with a friend who doesn't smoke for the first few days. 

Great strategy and outlook, Jon!  You keep with it and give yourself a chance to feel the real benefits. Once you do, you won't even want to go back. KTQ!

• Like 2

Yes, it does take courage but most of all it takes a solid commitment to yourself to improve your life for YOU! You're doing fine and yes, there will be up and down moments every day for a while. It can be a real struggle in the early days but try to focus on some of the good things you start to enjoy. That might be easier breathing, not stinking of cigarettes, saving $$ because you don't have to buy smokes. There's a ton of good stuff that starts happening.

And YES - come here and talk about what you are going through. We are eager to listen and it will help both you and others who are either new quitters or people just lurking and reading your posts to see what it's like to be a new quitter. It's all good even if you don't think you are contributing anything that's all that special.

Stay strong Octain! You're on your way :)

• Like 3

Glad that you have found my material helpful Berkshiredrifter. I think if I am reading right you are in your second day of being off of nicotine. It really is just a matter of getting through the 72 hour mark and the potential peak physical symptoms should really start to ease up. Also, some people peak on the second day so you may find tomorrow easing up already. It is impossible to know which day a person may peak--but one way or another, you are at least 2/3 of the way there.

Below are a few videos and resource pages addressing issues I am seeing in this string. I hope you find these materials helpful.

Joel

Starting day two of your quit

Starting day three of your quit

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/quitting-smoking-a-fate-worse-than-death/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/make-a-list-of-why-you-want-to-quit/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/videos-related-to-facing-or-avoiding-triggers/

• Like 2

48 hour mark (roughly).

I am eating a TON of food, and it feels great to be able to eat and to have an appetite again. 

My heart rate feels different. Its not smashing into my ribs anymore. It no longer feels labored.

It is significantly easier to breathe. 

Significant decrease in symptoms associated with post traumatic stress such as flashbacks and panic attacks.

Acid reflux and pain associated with GERD has decreased. 

My fingers aren't cold. My fingers had been cold since winter started. Its kind of scary, but my arms and legs and hands/feet are aching a bit as circulation improves. 

I am so glad, so happy, so relieved that I quit. I hate nicotine and I cannot fully express in words how greatful I am to this board. You people are wonderful. 

• Like 2

Berkshiredrifter -- Great job.  I am in the beginning of my 2nd week and the good feelings and benefits only get better, that is what gets me thru the day.  Still on guard with cravings and do the battle one day at a time but looking at each of the benefits that you mentioned earlier helps me conquer the cravings -- This Can Be Done.

• Like 4