Feeling silly

Edie

I know it is silly but I feel excited and proud of myself for making it through the first day and nobody died!!!!  LOL.  My wife is quitting along with me but she is doing her own thing to make it.  I am just happy to say I am on Day 2 without a cigarette.

• Like 8

It is not silly to be proud of making it through your first day. No one has ever quit for a year or a decade who didn't have to get through day one first.

Here are a few pages related to this issue:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/be-proud-that-you-quit-smoking/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/i-will-not-smoke-today/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/one-day-at-a-time/

As far as for quitting at the same time as your wife, check out these resources:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/the-pitfalls-of-forming-a-buddy-system-to-quit-smoking/

Bottom line is that you can quit at the same time as a spouse, significant other or friend, just not feel that your success is contingent on her quit. She should be working with the same premise.

One more thing. I am not sure what you mean when you say your wife is doing her own thing. Many times when someone says this kind of comment on an online support group they are feeling a bit worried because the other person quitting isn't willing to use the site. Check out the page http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/are-people-doomed-to-fail-if-they-dont-get-professional-help-to-quit-smoking/ for it addresses this specific issue.

Edited by Joel Spitzer
  • Like 2

Don't feel silly Edie..what you are doing is amazing...its what every smoker deep down want to do...

Feel proud...very proud.!!!!

I smoked 52 years....I can still remember.that big pat on the back...for even going 1 day....

One more day ...and all the nicotine has left your body....

Keep marchin forward  Edie ....

• Like 1

The early milestones (day, week, month) are so much more significant than the years in my opinion.  That's when the toughest battles take place and the victories are sweeter.  You should feel proud Edie.  And we're all proud of you too. 

• Like 2

Don’t EVER feel silly Eddie! Each & every day you don’t smoke makes you a WINNER!!! Celebrate each smoke free day. I’m a Newbie too & I’m excited about making it through each & every day smoke free. ?

I think day one is the worst really. During that first day we are nervous and thinking, "Can I even do this?" but then after day one you realize that yes, yes you can. Of course cravings are still at their worst but you know you can do it.

In fact, the nervousness part is worst just the day before quitting. Day one you are doing it, day two you have a bit of confidence built already, day three you know the nicotine is mostly out of your system, day four it IS out and by that point, the impulses to smoke should be getting weaker. Yes there is the crave but that internal impulse is getting less.

One thing I did during my first few days was going on a house cleaning spree. Bedding, laundry, clean the walls, scrub the white furniture in my room etc to get rid of smoke stains as much as possible. Something to do other than smoke.

• Like 1

Yes I have started the cleaning too.  You are so right about the nervousness part.  I didn't have it the day before but it was definately there yesterday and to some degree today.  I just love all of the support I am getting here.  It has helped me more than anything else.  Still not using any aids and staying strong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As reciprocity said, yes the early milestones ARE a big deal because the early days are the hardest. The further you get into a "quit", the less any one day really matters.

Wait til you get to day seven, an entire WEEK, you are going to be super proud. Like "Wow, now we are talking weeks instead of days!"

For you, day three is coming, which is the day all nicotine is gone from your system. I would say that is probably the biggest milestone.

In your cleaning, destroy all tobacco products, get rid of ash trays, and anything smoking related. MAYBE hang onto a lighter or two as they are practical tools more than they are smoking tools. with ditching the cigs and ash trays, yeah you might think "what if..." but no, time to get serious about quitting. Plus if you have NO cigs around, it will be less convenient when the hardest craves hit. If they are there, you just pick it up quickly. To be honest, NOT having smokes laying around is the only reason I managed to "keep my quit" early on.

Yeah, just try not to be one of those people here who relapses every few days. I mean screw that. If we give in to the cigarettes, I would think future quits would be harder because our nervousness of not being able to quit was affirmed.

Not using aids - That is actually best because stop-smoking meds just prolong the suffering AND are probably not cheap. Use that money instead for extra groceries for when you start to enjoy food again. Oh yes, taste and smell come back strong. Your gut will say, "Now it's my turn!" Just do not get hooked on soda, THAT addiction is harder to break than tobacco/nicotine.

Of course as we reach milestones in our quit, we wonder if it is even a good idea to mention them since people post photos of things like fat men in leotards dancing, or a fat drag queen with more makeup than Tammy Fay Baker holding a cake, or other "less than sexy" photos. Funny unless you are trying to eat and happen upon them.

Edited by Jetblack
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BKP said:

The early milestones (day, week, month) are so much more significant than the years in my opinion.  That's when the toughest battles take place and the victories are sweeter.  You should feel proud Edie.  And we're all proud of you too. 

Here is a resource page that I set up for former smokers who are not celebrating any major milestone today:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/for-former-smokers-not-celebrating-a-major-milestone-today/

• Like 1

Not silly at all.  You've put aside the doubts and hesitation and taken those vital first steps to freedom.

If that's not cause for celebration, I don't know what is.

Good job Edie.  Congratulations.