New to Quit Train

Edie

My name is Edie and I have been a smoker for the better part of 46 years.  I have attempted to quit many times before but I am doing things differently this time.  1.  I am doing this cold turkey.  I have read from many people that if you really want to quit for good this is the way to go.  2.  I am using this support group.  I have never done anything like this before and I am hoping that it will help with the urges.  and 3.  I have let those around me know what I am doing.  I feel like by telling people in my circle I will be more accountable to them and won't want to let anyone down.  

I guess that is it for now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome aboard Edie..

Congrats on the great decision to take your life back...

We have many people here who have quit after smoking for decades ....you can do it...let's get you going !!!!

On the main discussion page..you will find tons of info..they are pinned with a green square....knowledge will be your weapon...

Folks who come here every day...are the ones who succeed...

I see you have done a NOPE today...a brilliant start...this is a promise to yourself ,you will not smoke  that day...

Looking forward to getting to know you better...were are a friendly bunch ..who believes quitting can be fun...

• Like 2

Cold turkey is the least expensive and probably is the best way. Nicotine replacement therapy just prolongs the problem.

Yes you might have some withdrawals, I imagine everyone has slightly different versions. maybe sleeping more than usual, depressed, getting mad easier, etc...

There are a lot of articles and videos about quitting smoking. They do help because one is likely to fall asleep reading or watching and we know we cannot smoke when asleep :). Informative but not quite "riveting".

thing is once you do have some quit time finished, you will notice your breath does not rattle like it did before. You wake up with less of a "morning mouth" so to speak.

Just try not to smoke again thinking "I can quit again" because even after one solid puff, you are likely gonna be back to square one.

• Like 1

Hi Edie :) Welcome to our family. I too ended up quitting cold turkey. My quit wasn't very well planned but it has so far worked out well for me. I can't say it was easy but it is certainly doable and we here are all the proof of that. Education about the addiction, an unwavering commitment to yourself and determination will all be key components as well as support from like-minded people (that's us) :) As Doreen said, stay active here, it really does help! You idea of telling others you have quit is great as it does help to keep you committed but in the end, you're doing this for YOU. And it's the best gift you could give yourself :) Look forward to seeing you around.

• Like 1

Hello Edie:

Here are a few resource pages addressing comments you have made here:

"I have attempted to quit many times before but I am doing things differently this time."

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/ive-tried-everything-to-quit-smoking-and-nothing-works/

"1.  I am doing this cold turkey.  "

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/cold-turkey-quitting/

"2.  I am using this support group.  I have never done anything like this before and I am hoping that it will help with the urges."

A support group may not be able to eradicate urges, but they can help you to strengthen your ammunition and resolve to work through the urges.  The following pages touch on this issue:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/quitting-smoking-can-be-a-very-lonely-experience/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/come-share-your-strength-come-recognize-your-vulnerabilities/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/my-support-group-is-responsible/

"3.  I have let those around me know what I am doing.  I feel like by telling people in my circle I will be more accountable to them and won't want to let anyone down.  "

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/telling-others-that-you-have-quit-smoking/

Don't worry about letting others down. Your main focus should be not letting yourself down. The page http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/quitting-for-others/ addresses this issue.

This quit will be the last one you ever have to face as long as you make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

• Like 1

Welcome, Edie.  I also smoked for over 40 years.  I believed I enjoyed and would never quit.  What big lies I told myself!  The only thing a cigarette does is relieve withdrawal symptoms for a few minutes.Once I understood that basic truth, I was dedicated to Not One Puff Ever.  It was uncomfortable, even miserable at times, but you have to be decide to just get through it.  Such a relief to be able to get on an airplane, go to a movie or concert, or even a business meeting or family dinner without having to worry about the next fix.  You can do this!

• Like 2

Welcome, Edie!  Lots of great advice and sincere welcomes already so I'll just add that your attitude is so important.  It sounds like you're on the exact right track where that's concerned. Once smoking is off the table for good, you can just deal with what's coming up for you in th best way you can. There's no internal conflict (which can be the very worst aspect of quitting) about smoking.  Hope to see you around here for a long time.

• Like 2

Welcome Edie.... accountability was a huge part in my quit success.  Congrats on your decision.  I understand your decision to quit cold turkey... but if you find yourself in a mess... don't be afraid to use an aid.  Just use it as directed.  Fight and win.

Keep on keepin on... onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, Edie said:

My name is Edie and I have been a smoker for the better part of 46 years.  I have attempted to quit many times before but I am doing things differently this time.  1.  I am doing this cold turkey.  I have read from many people that if you really want to quit for good this is the way to go.  2.  I am using this support group.  I have never done anything like this before and I am hoping that it will help with the urges.  and 3.  I have let those around me know what I am doing.  I feel like by telling people in my circle I will be more accountable to them and won't want to let anyone down.  

I guess that is it for now.

Hi Edie and welcome to QT!!  At this stage of the game, the only quit aid you'll need is knowledge about this drug addiction that you cannot beat an addiction by using the same drug that you're trying to quit.  Eventually, you'll have to quit the quit aid and then what?  You're going to go through cravings ALL OVER AGAIN.  Why torture yourself that way?  You've already quit so the only way to stay quit is to not administer this drug back into your body.

Hello again Edie:

I saw a suggestion above that if you find yourself having a hard time you should not be afraid of taking a quitting aid. MarylandQuitter already posted a few videos explaining the implication of reintroducing nicotine again after successfully detoxing from nicotine. Two other resource pages you may want to look at before ever entertaining the idea of taking NRT after already having nicotine out of your system are here:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/miracle-aids-for-quitting-smoking/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/keeping-nrt-in-case-of-emergency/

Hope you find these materials helpful.

Joel

Welcome aboard Edie and congratulations on choosing to take back your life.

Commitment, education, and support...you have laid the foundation for a rock solid quit.

Good call.

• Like 1