Latoya

Hi Latoya! Welcome to our family of quitters :)

Please be sure to read all the "pinned" posts on the "Quit Smoking Discussion" page on the main page of this board. They are all at the top of that page with a green pin at the left of each thread. There are lots of videos as well to help you understand this addiction. Educating yourself as to how this addiction works will allow you to finally beat it. Education and a dedicated desire to live your live smoke free. Take back your freedom starting Today!! Welcome again :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

MQ is right, Latoya. It's all up to you.  It's the easiest and paradoxically also the hardest part of this quit journey. No one can make you smoke; at the same time, no one can quit for you.  Just stay away from smoking, no matter how you feel, what is happening, who is annoying, hurting, enraging you, etc., etc., etc.. No excuses, no exceptions, just don't smoke and you will be successful. Take smoking off the table as an option and get on with your life.  As time goes on, it will get easier.  It's that simple. Please note I said "simple" not "easy".  How easy it is depends predominantly on your mindset.   

Looking forward to hearing about your journey,

PeaceTrain

Edited by PeaceTrain
  • Like 2

There's no right or wrong way to quit Latoya. Many use NRT items such as the patch, gum or spray. Others use Chantix or similar aids to help them quit. Using an aid will mean you need to discontinue it at some point but the thinking is that by time you will be able to handle it better. Myself, I used patches for the first couple of days then just said the heck with them! It may have been more difficult but after a few days, I had the nicotine out of my body. Then, there was just the mental part of quitting - you know, learning to deal with not smoking while living my life again as a non-smoker. It has worked out for me though. Commitment to quitting is very important!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Latoya said:

I am determined this time @MarylandQuitter

I am wearing a patch though I hope this dosent slow the process

You've still got nicotine in your system so the 3 day rule doesn't apply.  The idea with the patch is to use it temporarily (if you must) to quit smoking but you must quit nicotine completely in order for you succeed in your quit.  NRT is okay so long as you plan on getting off it it ASAP.  Pretty much you're delaying the withdrawal process by using the patch vs cold turkey but people have success with it.

Also, please don't let withdrawal horror stories influence you at all because many have no issues with withdrawal.  I didn't.  The time you put between you and nicotine the less and less you'll think about it.  I never forget that I was once a smoker but I can tell you that in times of stress, the thought of smoking doesn't even enter my mind.  If somebody would have told me this before I quit I wouldn't have believed them. 

Stick around the board and post, read, watch videos and learn how to beat this drug addiction.  As long as you attack it for what it is, a drug addiction, you'll be free before you know it! :)

• Like 3

Distract yourself in what ever way works for you Latoya. For the first few days, I binge watched movies and stayed on here a lot, reading, reading and watching videos about this addiction. It really helped me understand just what smoking is. There's also a games page here that you can navigate around and spend mindless hours just distracting yourself. Learn to embrace the quit process because your body and mind are once again learning how to function like they did before you started smoking. It takes a while but everything does for sure get better as long as you just resist the urge to smoke again - NOPE is the key! Not One Puff Ever :)

• Like 2

Stay with us Latoya :) You will find you are no different than us. We all had to find our way and we all completely understand what you are going through. No one knows about quitting better than a quitter :8_laughing:

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3

Just now, Latoya said:

So happy i found this site thanks to you all

Welcome!  You just have to make up your mind that there is no circumstance when it is okay to smoke.  Not One Puff Ever (NOPE).  As others have pointed out, education about the addiction is key.

A technical tip..if you want someone to know you have answered their comment, use the Quote button.  We do not receive notice if you use @and name.

So glad you have joined us!

• Like 1

Just now, Nancy said:

Welcome!  You just have to make up your mind that there is no circumstance when it is okay to smoke.  Not One Puff Ever (NOPE).  As others have pointed out, education about the addiction is key.

A technical tip..if you want someone to know you have answered their comment, use the Quote button.  We do not receive notice if you use @and name.

So glad you have joined us!

Thanks, i thought I was doing something wrong

• Like 1

Just now, Latoya said:

Thanks, i thought I was doing something wrong

You've got it now.  

And on another topic, yes, you can stand the withdrawals.  Many of us smoked for 40 years or more, and if we can do it, you can, too!  It is uncomfortable, sometimes miserable, and you will have lots of physical and emotional reactions.  None of these will kill you, regardless of how it might feel for a few minutes.  Drink lots of water and have frequent snacks.  You can do this!

• Like 5

Latoya, you've already received great advice above.  So, I really don't have much to add.

If you commit to the quit and take smoking completely off the table, this will be the last time you quit.  Guaranteed.

As all-consuming as the withdrawal and obsessive thoughts during the early days feel, the long-term benefits make the rough patches worth it and then some.  This process will reward you exponentially.

Don't stick anything in your mouth and light it on fire, and...you're good to go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party!!!!....time zones....

Hi and welcome aboard this fabulous train...you have had some really good advice already...

Read,read and read more..know this enemy, you will fight him with knowledge... Outsmart the SOB....

Your body is very confused right now...it's used to getting fed hundreds of chemicals on a regular basis...be patient...it has to catch up with your brain...

Take it one day at a time...days run into weeks....weeks run into months...this is how we all achieved freedom...

We have a daily NOPE...it's a great way to start your day...

Looking forward to getting to know you better..

Pssst.... The chicks and sticks game is a great way to pass the time...take a look and see.

welcome Latoya, your determination and the advise and knowledge here will ensure your success, but it is your determination that lays the golden egg, post as much as you can, read everything and jump in and join in, when you are new to the board it can seem a bit daunting at first but after a few posts you immediately become part of the quit train family, you should find something to your taste in the social side and there is no such thing as a silly question so ask away!

• Thanks 1

Let those withdrawals remind you that it is a result of the poison leaving your body.......what a beautiful thing.  Thankfully they don't last and you immediately start feeling the benefits of quitting once you stop putting all those thousands of chemicals in your body.  Welcome to the forum!

Image result for smoking timeline

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Doreensfree said:

Late to the party!!!!....time zones....

Hi and welcome aboard this fabulous train...you have had some really good advice already...

Read,read and read more..know this enemy, you will fight him with knowledge... Outsmart the SOB....

Your body is very confused right now...it's used to getting fed hundreds of chemicals on a regular basis...be patient...it has to catch up with your brain...

Take it one day at a time...days run into weeks....weeks run into months...this is how we all achieved freedom...

We have a daily NOPE...it's a great way to start your day...

Looking forward to getting to know you better..

Pssst.... The chicks and sticks game is a great way to pass the time...take a look and see.

Erm....   how does one find the games??    Bit of a technobimbo here.... sorry!

• Like 1