high Cholesterol

Tink

So I have been diagnosed with gene related High cholesterol, there is a fancy medical term about but I cant be bothered with all that jargon, it inherited by one or both parents, basically I am fat on the inside! which I feel is unfair as I am quite active and eat quite healthily, apparently even if I just smelt lettuce all day my liver would produce high bad cholesterol :(

So just diet and exercise wont cure it, so I am now on statins! 

So my advice is even if you are quite fit and healthy on the outside, it might be a good idea to get your bloods checked at least once a year!

now wheres that lettuce!

8427983588_c386bb18da_n.jpg

• Like 2

How did they diagnose this? Were you sick or having other unexplained symptoms and they found that?

Without getting too long into it, I think doctors will tell people about anything just to get them on meds.

Isn't like the good ol days when if you didn't smoke, drink, drugs, ate healthy, and exercised, they would give you a clean bill of health. No, today they WILL find something just to upsell meds.

Perhaps a second opinion is in order?

• Like 2

Oh welcome to the lettuce gang..geez....

My gallstones kick off good style if I even try to eat dairy stuff...meat ect .beetroot is my friend..

Try checking out..what's good food for gallbladder..it might help because there is no fats to be seen...

It's a good way to lose weight too... Trust me.....

As soon as I'm able..I'm going to drowned myself in bangers...look out butcher ..I'm coming your way...

9 minutes ago, Jetblack said:

How did they diagnose this? Were you sick or having other unexplained symptoms and they found that?

Without getting too long into it, I think doctors will tell people about anything just to get them on meds.

Isn't like the good ol days when if you didn't smoke, drink, drugs, ate healthy, and exercised, they would give you a clean bill of health. No, today they WILL find something just to upsell meds.

Perhaps a second opinion is in order?

I had many hormone blood tests done and a fasting one, the thing is I was diagnosed a few years ago in Uk with high cholesterol so I was doing the diet and exercise and thought I was ok so when this new diagnosis came through I was shocked and that`s why they said about the gene related issues, I checked through family and yes all the women had it, I think its made worse these days due to the western diet and processed foods, I totally agree with you about they want you on meds for nothing here, but I think in my case its for the best. Im usually the sort who dont take meds and try and treat through diet but im no nun and I have some vices just everything in moderation, the new BUZZ word lol.

16 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Oh welcome to the lettuce gang..geez....

My gallstones kick off good style if I even try to eat dairy stuff...meat ect .beetroot is my friend..

Try checking out..what's good food for gallbladder..it might help because there is no fats to be seen...

It's a good way to lose weight too... Trust me.....

As soon as I'm able..I'm going to drowned myself in bangers...look out butcher ..I'm coming your way...

I know all about gall bladders and stones, Rez mum has just had her gall bladder taken out on Monday she is staying with us to recoup, but she was sick for a while, its not good :( are they not removing your gallbladder? 

I will share my lettuce if you share your beetroot, love them :)

• Like 1

Start running.

Distance. Big. Miles. 

Seriously.

Sarge went from "off the charts" high levels (triglycerides over 500, LDL over 250) to "below normal" when he started training for Marathons.  HDL("good" Cholesterol) bumped from abysmal 15-18 to over 60+

He's convinced it has *nothing* to do with diet and *everything* to do with how much *strenuous* cardio exercise you get. 

EZPZ

• Like 1

I am the complete opposite. I've always been told after my yearly physical labs to keep doing what I'm doing and I tell them I eat like crap and don't exercise. The docs always shrug and say consider myself lucky good genes. Also I take no meds. I'm about 50 pounds overweight due to laziness and the love of food. 35 of those pounds I gained after quitting smoking. I don't mind though. My lungs feel great and I don't stink. 

So yes I will have another donut. Please and thank you :)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tracey said:

I know all about gall bladders and stones, Rez mum has just had her gall bladder taken out on Monday she is staying with us to recoup, but she was sick for a while, its not good :( are they not removing your gallbladder? 

I will share my lettuce if you share your beetroot, love them :)

Thanks Tracey..

I wish Rez Mum speedy recovery..this is one painful S.O.B.....Im sure I don't have to tell you about our fabulous NHS...

I have had to have tests first ,just to satisfy the doc,that the ultra sound was correct...will know more tomorrow....

Yes they will be whipping it out ,but not looking forward to the surgery...

I have Tony to worry about too...while I heal...

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, BAT said:

I am the complete opposite. I've always been told after my yearly physical labs to keep doing what I'm doing and I tell them I eat like crap and don't exercise. The docs always shrug and say consider myself lucky good genes. Also I take no meds. I'm about 50 pounds overweight due to laziness and the love of food. 35 of those pounds I gained after quitting smoking. I don't mind though. My lungs feel great and I don't stink. 

Love this Bat...I'm green with envy...x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BAT said:

This will totally be rez, he won't go for tests until after Christmas but I bet he us normal!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Thanks Tracey..

I wish Rez Mum speedy recovery..this is one painful S.O.B.....Im sure I don't have to tell you about our fabulous NHS...

I have had to have tests first ,just to satisfy the doc,that the ultra sound was correct...will know more tomorrow....

Yes they will be whipping it out ,but not looking forward to the surgery...

I have Tony to worry about too...while I heal...

Good luck with it doreen, let us know x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sgt.barney said:

Start running.

Distance. Big. Miles. 

Seriously.

Sarge went from "off the charts" high levels (triglycerides over 500, LDL over 250) to "below normal" when he started training for Marathons.  HDL("good" Cholesterol) bumped from abysmal 15-18 to over 60+

He's convinced it has *nothing* to do with diet and *everything* to do with how much *strenuous* cardio exercise you get. 

EZPZ

I definitely  need to up the cardio, Don't Think I'll Be Training For Marathons But Need To Push The envelope, Did You Have To Go On Statins OR Stop Them Once You Ran more?

Doreen , sorry about those gallstones , been there .. very painful. I had laparoscopic surgery done on mine , my sister had the old conventional method ... you will be ok .... that gallbladder gone will mean no more pain and the good news once it is gone you will be able to eat everything . 

Tracey , hope being on the statins helps.

My opinion on meds is  ; less is best . Everything you take presents it's own set of problems. 

Eat healthy , live happy , worry less , stress less and laugh often  . It's the best medicine there is . 

Edited by Abby
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2017 at 4:55 PM, tracey said:

I definitely  need to up the cardio, Don't Think I'll Be Training For Marathons But Need To Push The envelope, Did You Have To Go On Statins OR Stop Them Once You Ran more?

The Docs gave The Sarge a year to 'sort things out' ... so no Statins. He wouldn't take them if prescribed - nasty fuckers with no actual benefit.

He did, sadly, have to go on Blood Pressure meds. While "greatly.reduced" ... he's still above the "normal" threshold - even during training season.

Bummer.

EZPZ

Edited by sgt.barney
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2017 at 2:24 PM, Abby said:

Doreen , sorry about those gallstones , been there .. very painful. I had laparoscopic surgery done on mine , my sister had the old conventional method ... you will be ok .... that gallbladder gone will mean no more pain and the good news once it is gone you will be able to eat everything . 

Tracey , hope being on the statins helps.

My opinion on meds is  ; less is best . Everything you take presents it's own set of problems. 

Eat healthy , live happy , worry less , stress less and laugh often  . It's the best medicine there is . 

Aww I've only just seen this..sorry  Abby...

Thank you..I think it will be keyhole..your post was comforting.....i have missed certain foods so much !!!!

The tablet I have been prescribed are for irritable bowel syndrome... They wack the pain funny enough..x

On 12/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, tracey said:

8427983588_c386bb18da_n.jpg

That scallion spear kills me!  Good luck with your cholesterol lowering program, Tracey.

i didn’t know you and Rez were a couple. Learn something new every day around here. 

Doreen, hope that now you have a date you can see light at the end of the tunnel. Hey!  That light is a barbecue grill!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

That scallion spear kills me!  Good luck with your cholesterol lowering program, Tracey.

i didn’t know you and Rez were a couple. Learn something new every day around here. 

Doreen, hope that now you have a date you can see light at the end of the tunnel. Hey!  That light is a barbecue grill!

we met on the forums, then he kidnapped me and kept me :21_kissing_closed_eyes:

• Like 1