Crashed

Steely

Well. I crashed out big time.  

No excuses, I know,  but I have the neighbour from hell who, pathetic as it sounds has been stealing my hose fittings from the garden.  I have let it go TWICE and have just bought another fitting, but THREE times was too much and when I approached him about it he abused the living hell out of me, I burst into tears and bought a packet of cigarettes which I smoked.  I'm a bit scared of him, he's a nutter.  Back on the horse.  Feel so disappointed in myself.

Your right, no excuses.... but, you finished this practice quit and now know the feelings of letting yourself down... so, as you said, get back on this horse and ride me to the finish line. The "sticky quit" starts now!

as for your neighbor... don't let him get to you... if you don't let it bother you.... well.... it won't bother you. :15_yum: .. as for the hose fittings... ... paint them pink so you can identify them, then take them back when he tries to "borrow " it again... smoking isn't going to change your neighbor or what he does, so figure out another way to handle the situation... 

• Like 4

Oh no..sorry to hear this..but the good news is...you just get right back on..

Learn by this ..you smoking will not make your idiot neighbour any different...

Smoking doesn't change anything...

Take smoking off the table ...no matter what....

Start tomorrow with a bright new NOPE... You can do it ....

• Like 3

Do cigarettes keep jerks at bay?

Remember Dracula and his reaction to a crucifix?  If I carry a cigarette around in my shirt pocket and wave it any dickheads who cross my path, will they simply run away from me?

If that sounds ridiculous, there's really no reason to believe that smoking that same cigarette will do anymore to help alleviate the situation.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boo said:

Do cigarettes keep jerks at bay?

Remember Dracula and his reaction to a crucifix?  If I carry a cigarette around in my shirt pocket and wave it any dickheads who cross my path, will they simply run away from me?

If that sounds ridiculous, there's really no reason to believe that smoking that same cigarette will do anymore to help alleviate the situation.

Priceless...I will remember this...!!!!!....it's exactly this .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steely said:

Well. I crashed out big time.  

No excuses, I know,  but I have the neighbour from hell who, pathetic as it sounds has been stealing my hose fittings from the garden.  I have let it go TWICE and have just bought another fitting, but THREE times was too much and when I approached him about it he abused the living hell out of me, I burst into tears and bought a packet of cigarettes which I smoked.  I'm a bit scared of him, he's a nutter.  Back on the horse.  Feel so disappointed in myself.

Steely

Only when you eliminate the "buts" will you eliminate the "butts".

Glad you're back on board.

Sounds like there is a bigger problem here than losing a "quit".

About this neighbor... so It does not say if you are a man or woman but in each case -

If you are a woman and some male (who is not a boyfriend or husband) is being abusive, there are plenty of men that would be willing to beat his ass. If the guy hits you, he goes to jail. The man always goes to jail in cases like that.

If you are a man, it may be time to take some action. At the very least, stand up to the son of a bitch.

You or someone needs to put their foot down like immediately or he is just going to keep acting however he does.

There is often a concern about things escalating if someone stands up to an a-hole but more often than not, the bully backs down.

• Haha 1

The most obvious theme here is Do Not smoke no matter what.  The best way out is through.  Once you quit keep on going, it will get easier. 

Secondly, your neighbor clearly is not a nice person for lack of better words.  You cannot change another adult, but you can change your reaction to nasty people.  Ask yourself, what did smoking that cigarette do for you?  How did you feel afterwards?  Did you feel better?  Did it fix your neighbor problem?  

Little known fact among smokers, is smoking causes anxiety and frustration.  Never will it resolve anything.  Try and find a healthier outlet for stressful situations.

Third, try and catch your neigbor in the act.  Security cameras aren't that expensive nowadays.  

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all of the good and sometimes funny (not really laughing) advices.  What sticks is the notion that smoking did nothing to change the behaviour of my neighbour, nor did it see the return of my hose fittings.  

I'm a woman Jetblack and this man is a scary dude and is the reason why I haven't confronted him before, ie, "fear of escalating the situation".  I'm going to bring my hose fitting inside from now on which will let him know my feelings without resorting to confrontation (he doesn't listen) or worse still, smoking.  It gave him the upper hand and I can't have that happen.  And he's a smoker, another good reason to quit!  I'm back on the train but in the caboose.  

• Like 2

Steely, he screws with you and the cops show up, he may or may not listen but will be taking a ride to the local lock-up. Most men do not put up with other men harassing women. If he is so scary then he should not mind being locked up with the rest of the bad guys in town.

Of course one should not use things as a reason to smoke but as far as the situation with the neighbor - I am not sure why I am the only one concerned about that.

Edited by Jetblack

i myself would have invested in a motion sensor sprinkler system so everytime he comes near your hose he runs off like a wet rat that he is!!! but joking aside please dont give others the emotional power over you, this is your quit, your life and only you can own it, everyone and everything else that threatens it is just trespassing, im glad you are back in the saddle, you deserve this quit and you are better than this scum bag.

• Like 2

Good for you Steely for processing what happened here and learning a very important lesson that you can call upon in future. Smoking doesn't solve any of your problems and in fact just makes you feel like crap and add to your issues. As others have said already. This is YOUR quit and yes .... YOU deserve it!   Welcome back :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2