Hi there!

Ferdinand

Hello!

I've been smoking for about 4 years now. I have stopped smoking twice (I can't think of it as "quitting", because that word implies agency), each time for around two months, almost spontaneously, without even thinking about it, planning anything, or having to try at all.

Looking back, I realized that what the two episodes had in common was that both those times, good things that I cared about very much and could potentially change my life forever were likely to happen (though they didn't!). So the best explanation I have is that "hope" is what made me stop smoking; had those things happened, I would have liked to experience them for as long as possible.

So instead of following one-size-fits-all instructions (which have not helped me the 8 times I have tried to quit), I've decided I'm going to try and put myself in situations where good things with long lasting positive effects might happen to me, as often as I can, since that seems to actually help me.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Albert.

7 hours ago, albert said:

So instead of following one-size-fits-all instructions (which have not helped me the 8 times I have tried to quit), I've decided I'm going to try and put myself in situations where good things with long lasting positive effects might happen to me, as often as I can, since that seems to actually help me.

Keep in mind that the list of "instructions" is short and there are only two rules.

Rule #1: Don't put cigarettes in your mouth and set them on fire.

Rule #2: If you have any further questions, refer back to Rule #1.

Don't smoke.  Repeat daily.  You're good to go

• Like 7

Boo has a winning strategy there, Albert.  You can follow that or anything else that works for you but you can bet that whatever method you choose, Boo's method will, perforce, be followed at the same time... Bottom line.   We're here if you need support or need to vent but rest assured you've made the very best decision you could have made.  Now, KTQ! (Keep that quit)

• Like 3

W elcome Bert!

great descision !... Pop in often and let us know how your doing... Anything we can do to help, give a shout out and someone will answer!

congrats on taking your life back!

• Like 2

So quitting when life turns good or is looking good. Kind of the opposite of how some go back to smoking when life gets rough.

It is good to cut out as many stressors from life as possible. The effects of doing so are far more reaching than just making it easier to break the smoking habit. That is one benefit yes but so many other good things too :D

• Like 2

Well! I haven't had a smoke so far, so that's good!

@Doreensfree If you could quit after fifty years then I have no excuse! Thanks for sharing that with me.

@Boo Thanks for putting it that way. That actually made me laugh out loud :D It's a very elegant solution.

Everyone else, thank you for taking the time to show your support! I really appreciate it.

• Like 3

YES !!!...you can do it Albert....believe in yourself....you just need to want it bad enough...

Come here daily...post ,post,...read,read,...pledge ,pledge,...the days will turn in to weeks,and weeks turn in to years...

I am rooting for you....let's get this job done....

Congratulations Albert on your decision to quit .

My dad would always say if you start something Abby .... stick to your guns .  He was such a great guy .. he had emphysema and heart disease . A two pack a day smoker . Quit cold turkey .  He stuck to his decision Albert. Never looked back . Proud of that guy . 

Stick to your guns about your decision Albert . You can do this . 

Will there be some challenges ? Likely but because of those challenges our quits get stronger and our our life  gets renewed to that of a non smoker in time 

Keep moving forward ; don't turn back . One day you will look back and say "wow" look ?how far I've come !

QT is smooth riding and it will take you on an adventure with friends . Welcome aboard . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1