How Did They Quit?

Reciprocity

Wow - yes; 3 packs a day is an incredible amount :46_confounded: I'm sure glad you quit again Jules because I can't imagine you could smoke that much for long before the would be serious consequences. Good thing you learned that valuable NOPE lesson too. Just don't forget it because your inner addict will try to convince you that "just 1 won't hurt". It's a lie Jules, it's nothing but a lie so don't ever be fooled again.

My wee granny who always had a fag hanging out her mouth when watching telly,  cleaning, doing dishes, knitting baby clothes.. she was a master of keeping the ash on the fag and making it to the ashtray with the ash staying whole..

Anyhoo she gave up when she was 75. After the budget she said they were to expensive  at a whopping £1.51 a pack (last time I looked they were almost £10 a pack!!) She went cold turkey no support at all just rolled up her sleeves and got on with it.. 

She passed away 4 years ago after reaching 100 and getting her long awaited telegram from the Queen(though no telegram now, it's just a card these days!!)....

She always went on at me to give up, I always said "ocht granny I canny, I'm no as strong as you" and look now, she was right all along and I could do it.. she would have been so proud of me .. Geez I miss her so much..:57_cry:

Ooops sorry this has turned into a wee bit of a therapy session for me :36_flushed:

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, Dee said:

I know some old timers that quit because of the price hitting a dollar LOL. 

Sarge said he'd quit when they got to a Buck.

Then he "couldn't afford them" at Two Dollars.

Completely bypassed $3.00 but *swore* he'd never pay 4 bucks a pack.

When he finally quit, they were $5.50 a pack (locally, Midwest - Ohio, U.S.)

Price doesn't matter to a Junkie.

Price.

Does.

Not.

Matter.

Ultimately, it was Health Scare.

High blood pressure + High Cholesterol + High blood sugar + (a number of other minor issues all diagnosed at the same time) that made Sarge make some dramatic lifestyle changes ... only one of which was quitting smoking.

EZPZ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How did they do it?

They wanted it just like you, and were willing to do what they had to, to make it stick.

The common thread in all quits is choice, a timeless tradition, just like smoking is.

People who quit forever chose to stay smoke free and over time the quit stuck, not to say they didn't relapse

and start all over again. That's a world of pain unto itself.

We do the same thing now, just like they did. We quit. Only we have a place to write about our "feelings".

You don't need a forum for quitting but it can help, and you do learn rather quickly that nobody can quit for you.

And it's a lot more fun socializing for the long term denizens, than working on someone's miserable addiction.

Markus

quit 02-19--2008

Edited by Markus
Get to the point already

I quit (cold turkey) because I woke one morning and realized I was just tired of smoking.

It was a spontaneous decision I made, without ever really planning to quit before the day I did.

I was a smoker of 30 years, 2 packs a day in the last years.

It is easy to quit smoking when you do not want to smoke any more.

And if you have a difficult time with your quit, it is education about smoking and quitting that will make you not want to smoke any more.

Cristóbal

• Like 3