Hi all!

JKPK

I have been off of the "smoggers" for 12 days now.  I had originally quit for over 20 years, and God knows why I started up again about a year and a half ago. Really Dumb move! I guess that no matter how long you have been smoke free, you can never let your guard down or get complacent.  I've had a rough couple of days, and nearly went out and bought a pack of cigs this morning.  The only thing that saved me is the fact that it was cold, rainy and windy. Plus the nearest store of any kind is 5 miles away. :)  Another motivator is the fact that smoking is not allowed in public buildings in NY, and I can't smoke in the house. (My husband is very anti-smoking)  I live in upstate NY, and the winters here are really wicked. I can't picture myself standing out in howling winds and blizzard conditions just to have a smoke. NOPE!  It's nice to have a great site like this one to help with the tough times and to get educated about how to deal with nicotine addiction.  Oh yeah.....I also quit drinking about 6 weeks ago; I must be crazy!  Thanks to all of you for your support!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome JKPK.  I hope everyone takes your words to heart.  "No matter how long you have been smoke free, you can never let your guard down or get complacent". 

Congratulations on 12 days smoke free (and 6 weeks alcohol free).  It's never crazy to cut out the things in our lives that are killing us.  Glad you found us!

• Like 3

Hi JKPK!  Wanted to say welcome and wish you great success with your quit(s!). I quit drinking at 24 (a long time ago) and it's been the best decision of my life. Let's face it, no one ever says, "God, I wish I hadn't quit drinking!" But many say, "God, I wish I had/could/would quit drinking!"  Same goes for smoking, which is the 2nd best decision of my life. For me, if I hadn't done the first one at age 24, I wouldn't be posting on this board today. Like BKP said, if you know something's not good for you, best to eliminate it. That's being kind and taking care of yourself which is everyone's first obligation, in my view. 

Thanks for reminding us what complacency can lead to. Although I'm sorry you have to go through this struggle again, it's valuable to hear first hand what letting down our guard can lead to. 

KTQ, JKPK!  You can definitely do this- you know you can and you will be warm and cozy in your house, snuggling up with your hubby and a hot cocoa this winter. Let us know how we can help if you need it. 

• Like 3

Hello and welcome,sooo glad you found us..

Wow..your post really has brought it home to me...that I'm a addict and always will be..

It will only take one puff to get me started again...and never to get complacent... Never....

You did it once...you can do it again...

You already have a fabulous 12 days.    

We can all stay smoke free ...we have to live by NOPE !!!!!

Looking forward to getting to know you better ...

• Like 1

Welcome aboard JKPK.

Congratulations on 12 days of freedom under your belt.

As for that "really dumb move"...addiction and bad decisions go hand-in-hand.  All we can do is move forward and put that behind us.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Hi JKPK, welcome! :)

20 years uhh?

Read all you can, NOPE daily. Stay with us, we´re a fun and will help you no doubt. There me, pig lover, bakon , mammy and all the other loonies, AND lolcats! What more do you need? Lets do this.

• Like 2

Welcome "officially" JKPK as I have seen your blog earlier. Glad you posted up to tell us about yourself. We are all traveling the path to freedom and helping each other along the way. Stick around and stay active here and you'll see, as we all have, that sharing the experience - both the struggles and the joys, will help you a lot! Again, welcome and great work on getting to 12 days. Stay strong!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

Hi JKPK!  Wanted to say welcome and wish you great success with your quit(s!). I quit drinking at 24 (a long time ago) and it's been the best decision of my life. Let's face it, no one ever says, "God, I wish I hadn't quit drinking!" But many say, "God, I wish I had/could/would quit drinking!"  Same goes for smoking, which is the 2nd best decision of my life. For me, if I hadn't done the first one at age 24, I wouldn't be posting on this board today. Like BKP said, if you know something's not good for you, best to eliminate it. That's being kind and taking care of yourself which is everyone's first obligation, in my view. 

Thanks for reminding us what complacency can lead to. Although I'm sorry you have to go through this struggle again, it's valuable to hear first hand what letting down our guard can lead to. 

KTQ, JKPK!  You can definitely do this- you know you can and you will be warm and cozy in your house, snuggling up with your hubby and a hot cocoa this winter. Let us know how we can help if you need it. 

Thank you....it's nice to hear from folks who are struggling with many of the same problems that I am.  Good to be here!

13 hours ago, bakon said:

Welcome.  I have not quit drinking because it keeps me from choking dumb fkrs.  But seems you have good control on the choking response too

Bakon  I think that if I had kept drinking, there would be a lot of dead fkrs laying around. Sometimes I feel pretty deprived to say the least. Yesterday, I was having one such moment, ( there were no dumb fkrs around to kill) and I felt like I was going to explode.  After 10 minutes of ranting, I looked around and nary a dog was to be found. (I have three)  After some searching, I found two of them wedged under the coffee table, and another one crammed under my husband's desk.  They were trembling so bad that they looked like they were having seizures. Poor things...I apologized profusely, but I don't think that they believed me. Next time I need to vent, I'll come here for some much needed support....I'm sure that the mutts will appreciate it.

• Like 2