New here

Bev

Hello,  I am on my 6th day of not smoking.  I have tried quitting many times in the 30 plus years I have been a smoker. The longest I went was 3 months. I really hope to make it for the rest of my life this time.  My biggest fear is weight gain :(

• Like 2

Hi Bev,

Congrats on your great decision to quit ...you already have nearly a week ...

Read all you can here..there is a ton of good info, to help you along ...

We have a daily NOPE ..this is a promise to yourself ,you won't smoke for 24 hrs..the days turn to weeks,such turn in to months then years...

I wouldn't worry about weight gain..if you eat sensible ,we could be talking just a few pounds...

Staying quit is much more important...

Stay close,post often,looking forward to getting to know you better...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Bev and welcome to our community. Glad to hear you have decided to quit smoking for good this time. It's a deadly addiction that only takes from us and give noting back.Please spend some time reading our information here in the "Pinned" threads at the top of the page. Education about this addiction is a key tool in helping you quit. It's true that temporary weight gain is an issue for some while quitting. You can address that once your quit is secure. You can also take a look at your diet and make adjustments there to help avoid excessive weight gain. Beginning an exercise routine can also help. I will let others give you more info, about that aspect of quitting. Again, welcome and congratulations on being 6 days quit already!!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Bev.

6 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

I wouldn't worry about weight gain..if you eat sensible ,we could be talking just a few pounds...

What Doreen said.  Even if you do put on a few pounds during the initial part of your quit, the trade-off between gaining a few pounds and quitting smoking is a net positive.  And physical activity is one of the best methods for keeping withdrawal symptoms in check.  Combine that with watching what you consume any you are going to be smokefree and feeling like a million bucks.

Congratulations on making one of the best decisions you will ever make for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome Bev!  Congratulations on 6  smoke free days.  I'm not going to lie and say I didn't gain any weight in the early going.  But my one and only focus was on beating the most damaging obstacle to better health - smoking.  Weight loss and fitness came after I felt like my quit foundation was more solid.

Now I'm in much better health than I've been for decades.

Basically, I'm saying narrow down your focus to remaining smoke free for now. It will take all your energy.  Don't worry about side effects and temporary annoyances.  Those can develop into excuses and deceptions.

Keep that great quit going!

Edited by BKP
typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Hi Bev,

Congrats on your great decision to quit ...you already have nearly a week ...

Read all you can here..there is a ton of good info, to help you along ...

We have a daily NOPE ..this is a promise to yourself ,you won't smoke for 24 hrs..the days turn to weeks,such turn in to months then years...

Stay close,post often,looking forward to getting to know you better...

Thank you! :)

1 hour ago, BKP said:

Welcome Bev!  Congratulations on 6  smoke free days.  I'm not going to lie and say I didn't gain any weight in the early going.  But my one and only focus was on beating the most damaging obstacle to better health - smoking.  Weight loss and fitness came after I felt like my quit foundation was more solid.

Now I'm in much better health that I've been for decades.

Basically, I'm saying narrow down your focus to remaining smoke free for now. It will take all your energy.  Don't worry about side effects and temporary annoyances.  Those can develop into excuses and deceptions.

Keep that great quit going!

Thank you! Went for a very long walk in the country this morning :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Hi Bev and welcome to our community. Glad to hear you have decided to quit smoking for good this time. It's a deadly addiction that only takes from us and give noting back.Please spend some time reading our information here in the "Pinned" threads at the top of the page. Education about this addiction is a key tool in helping you quit. It's true that temporary weight gain is an issue for some while quitting. You can address that once your quit is secure. You can also take a look at your diet and make adjustments there to help avoid excessive weight gain. Beginning an exercise routine can also help. I will let others give you more info, about that aspect of quitting. Again, welcome and congratulations on being 6 days quit already!!

Thank you all so very much, I am glad I joined :)

• Like 1

Hey Bev...welcome to our little corner of the inter-web.. ;)

you ou have made a great decision to quit and we will be here to help all we can..just give a shout out and we will have your back!

about that weight gain.... Go for it!!  ..... Curves are a good thing.   :18_kissing_heart:

• Haha 1

Congrats on day 7  Bev!! That's a big milestone. They call that first week "Hell Week". Bet you can guess why :2_grimacing: Keep moving forward because each day you will get stronger and the addiction will get weaker - you'll see. It doesn't happen as fast as we would like but, keep true to the NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) and it WILL happen for you as is has for us!