I WANT TO QUIT BUT I JUST CAN’T

Tyme2B

3 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Eating healthy is a great tool ,to have in your tool box...

I wasn't that organised... I didn't have time to put a plan in action.. So good for you ...

Did I give you the impression I was organized? That's a good compliment because I've felt SOOO scatterbrained lately LOL :4_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You window lickers all sounded so smart in this thread I think I am in the wrong group.

As for my advise- do t wait. No reason. You could be one week into your quit by then. And if you got ants in your pants and feel like you need to smoke to calm them, take off the pants and do something. Pushup work to tire the body and mind.  Or leave pants on and walk. And walk. And walk  just keep busy till tired. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have been very busy which has been helpful in preparing for not smoking. I have never been much of a TV watcher but I am finding this helps in dealing with stress! So I have been watching TV at night for relaxation & preparing for my Quit Date. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tyme2B said:

I have been very busy which has been helpful in preparing for not smoking. I have never been much of a TV watcher but I am finding this helps in dealing with stress! So I have been watching TV at night for relaxation & preparing for my Quit Date. 

I quit on a Sunday - not planned, just worked out that way. I also took 2 additional days vacation time from work so that covered Monday & Tuesday as well. I remember basically becoming a hermit for those first 3 days and I stayed in and watched TV and a bunch of videos as well. Just lost myself in mindless entertainment for those three days. It seemed to help me through the worst of my initial quit. Can't say if that would work for others but certainly keeping busy/distracted as much as possible is key to getting past the worst of the early withdrawal symptoms :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3

I totally agree that taking one’s mind off smoking will be most helpful. I’ll be doing everything possible to accomplish that. Everyone is different...we all process things in a different way...as long as it works that’s what counts ?

• Like 2

Every quit is different. Well some might be the same but anyways... check this out.

Here is how I managed to quit. First i need to mention that I had an "easy" way out compared to others. I used to smoke about 30 cigarettes a day, the cheapo "roll your own" kind. those things are pretty weak anyways. Like drinking a lukewarm glass of water on a nasty hot summer day when all you REALLY want is a gallon of liquid nitrogen to drink.

So...

I was sick for the first week of October and could barely breathe. I couldn't smoke much so I thought "Tomorrow (Monday Oct 2nd) I quit!" HA! About four hours into Monday, there I was, lighting up. Basically though just a couple hits to curb the crave. then later when it hit, another few hits. So by the end of Monday i had only put away three cigarettes. THAT is when I knew I had a plan, oh yes...

I figured if I could make it through a day on only three (down from about 30) then Friday I will quit quit. I would allow myself three a day on Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday. Friday was THE quit day. Since it would be the weekend, no stress at work. Didn't know how it would play out. Thursday night I took the last hits off the last stub of a cancer stick. Oh boy.... here we go...

SO, now I was a "quitter". threw away the ash trays, started laundering everything, cleaning everything I could, cleaned the interior of my car, put away the cigarette machine, removed the "tobacco" section of my spending records, gave away my remaining smokes, told people I was quitting....

38 days later, not so much as a puff. I "stepped down". people think that is a bad idea but G.D. it worked for me. 30 to 3 to none. Some might say, "You have to just drop it! No excuses! No reasons to light up!" OK so what if "just quit like that" isn't working for someone? I sure as hell did not have the willpower to do that. I believe this -

Before you can run you must learn to walk. But before you can walk you must learn to stand.

There needs to be a plan surrounding the "quit". How will you try to avoid temptation? Try to clean up any evidence of being a smoker. if you need to decrease before quit because going from a pack a day to NOTHING is too rough, then try to cut back first then drop the habit. though there may never be a "Good" day, try to plan a quit date where there will be the least stress for two or three days (those are the worst). Also, once quit, try not to allow substitutes in like dip, no smoking drugs, patches, gums etc.

They may or may not help if you are trying the "decrease" method but the ultimate goal is to be tobacco and nicotine free. THEN you can pick up another bad habit like junk food :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jetblack! You sound like me...thanks SO much for sharing your story & how you Quit this awful habit! And from 30 per day! Wow! I only have ever smoked about 10 per day so if you can do it, so can I. Congratulations on being Smoke free! I too will feel the pride you feel soon. ?

• Like 1

I cannot guarantee it will definitely work BUT - even if you cannot just drop it, you won't be in any worse shape then now. The roll-your-own's I smoked for two years were weak as hell anyways so I am wondering if they even HAD nicotine to begin with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I’m on Day 3 of “Nope”! I have a cold so that has certainly been helpful...never thought I would welcome a cold! But I’m trying all the suggestions on this forum to remain smoke free. “Not even one” is SO true....that I know from experience. I’m feeling tired but that goes with the territory so I have read. I CAN do this! 

• Like 3

For the first week or two at least, I was exhausted at the end of every day just from dealing with quitting smoking - forget everything else that life would normally throw at you. I so looked forward to getting into bed each night and just closing my eyes then off to sleep for at least a while. I think that's pretty normal to be really tired all the time at first. Just remember to eat well and keep hydrated - those two are important. I didn't really do too well with those so .... do as I say; not as I do - lol.

• Thanks 2

Okay....I feel like closing my eyes all the time...that could be a prob lol! But at least this is all to be expected. I deffs look forward to getting into bed at night. I am trying to avoid “triggers” as much as possible as well. Does wine ? count as hydration? Lol! Just kidding....I hear you & will try. My appetite is not great right now but I  am trying to eat properly. Thanks for your help Rep! ?

T2B - I did horrible at doing all the right things during my quit. I ate poorly and drank more beer than I probably should have - fortunately, drinking beer didn't make me want to smoke or I would have lost my quit because too much alcohol does it for a lot of people. But in the end for me, it was just sheer determination to never smoke again that got me through the tough part. Anyone can do it if they are committed but, that's the real key ..... personal commitment. You're doing this for you - not anyone else so it has to come from within YOU!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tyme2B - right on with day three! By now you should be getting slightly used to not having a cigarette. The nicotine has left your body. So even if it is an early milestone, it STILL is one.

People talk about "triggers" but for a full time smoker, everything correlates to smoking. just do your best to avoid at least some of them (some really cannot be avoided)

I tell ya this - if you DO get weak and need to post an SOS, ask Doreensfree specifically why it is a bad idea to pick up that cancer stick. I do not feel it is my place to speak for the lady but I imagine she will be happy to explain. As you read, get the image in your head. Just might scare the piss out of you. She is a cool lady, even to someone like me who almost wore out her welcome within the first few posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jetblack! Hi again & thank you for your caring & obviously experienced advice. You bet Doreen is awesome! I know her & I know her story from my last (and only) Quit. She is one strong lady & is always there for Newbies & even Repeats...like me. Yes, I know my major trigger & unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that one...she’s an elderly, abusive and now recovering from surgery....my mother. So....I have to overcome that trigger. And I will. Thanks JB! 

• Like 1

I don't know how "experienced" I am really.

I am guessing (and hoping for the sake of some here) that there are articles or videos posted about dealing with "difficult" house members when we are TRYING to quit in peace. The person I live with is my best friend, the worst we do is snap at each other once in a while.

Maybe avoiding is not possible, but you can learn how to possibly deal with this tough situation. I think dealing with live-in a PITA would be the hardest obstacle to overcome. Someone gets over that, I dare not tell them what "strong" is. I will let them school ME on the subject :)

• Thanks 1

T2B, you have identified your "major trigger" so you know when you need to really put your commitment into gear, at least in the early stages of your quit. I don't know your situation but I do know that life never stays the same! Things change and can do quite unexpectedly and very dramatically. It did for us ( me & the wifey) this year (I won't go into details). You need to focus your commitment on YOUR long game. You and only you will be with you for the rest of your life. Make that life the very best quality you can and do it NOW! Everything else will change as life goes on but you can control your own quality of life going forward :)

• Thanks 1

Fortunately my “trigger” does NOT live with me. My loving, caring hubby does & he is wonderfully supportive & a non smoker. However, my “trigger” cannot be ignored. Part of my commitment to myself and to my success in not smoking is to put my “trigger” into perspective & be pro-active rather than re-active. For once, I’m putting myself first! (geez...when I see it in writing it looks so selfish, even easy...but it’s not.) I just have to do what’s right for me. 

• Like 2

Hi Stuart! Great to hear from you! Yes, long time but better later than never. I have to do this. I know you have been there & have done it. I’m staying clean. I feel like sh*t but I’ll survive lol! You know how it goes. You know last time I quit I said I didn’t know how anyone could ever start smoking again after going through quitting...I think I even said that on this site....well here I am eating my words. But I’m doing it again...uggh. Nice to have your support again. Trying on my own wasn’t working ? So I’m back on the train ? Hope all is well with you! 

• Like 1