Has anybody experienced hair loss (particularly women) since giving up smoking

pedro68

​My mrs. gave up smoking about 16mths ago and has experienced alopecia areata (patches of hair falling out) ever since. The doctor said it can be triggered by shock, trauma or illness but could not pin it down to anything in particular. Not sure if it is complete coincidence but it only happened just after stopping smoking.Would be good to hear any feedback from anyone. Thanks.

• Like 1

Pedro, I'm sorry about what Mrs Pedro is going through. It's terrible to feel like you've done a good thing like quitting smoking and then get kicked in the teeth for it. I've honestly never heard of this happening to anyone related to quitting. Hope it resolves for her!

• Like 1

That's a new one to me Pedro. I have never heard of such a symptom experienced due to quitting smoking but, who knows? There are so many weird symptoms that seem to come along for people after quitting but you never really know if they are related or just a coincidence. Fortunately, most quit related symptoms resolve themselves at some point so if it is related, hopefully, it will resolve at some point.

​Yea I m sure its just a coincidence too. It s amazing what seems too surface when you stop smoking,sore throat, constant colds,stomach troubles,disturbed sleep patterns etc.No wonder the first few weeks is difficult.Just got to remember you won t feel like that forever.

• Like 2