Another quit

rjr

I just signed up today as this is the last in a number of quit attempts.  Usually the first few days are the toughest for me, after that it is much easier for me.  I have quit for 5 months a number of times and this seems like the time that I relapse.  It won't happen this time. I had a cardiac cath and a stent placed about a month ago.  My life depends on quitting more so now than ever before.  I have been destroying my body for 45 years.  A pack and a half per day has me short of breath at times.  The major risk factor for coronary artery disease is ?    You guessed it, SMOKING !  I am now walking 2-3 miles per day on the treadmill to lose weight and eliminate one of the risk factors- obesity.. I've lost 30 pounds in two months.  Now I am taking the most important step in regaining my heart health.  I've been reading this forum and absorbed lots of good information.  Anyway, just a few words to introduce myself.

RJR

• Like 9

Hi and welcome RJR

Congrats in taking the big first step to being back your life.im sure quitting will make a massive difference to your health..We can help you achieve this...

We are a small family here..not like some forums...we get to know our members well...

It's great to hear you have read alot of information,.. Keep reading,specially the green pinned posts on the main board..

Take our daily NOPE ..it's a promise to yourself ( and us ) that you won't smoke that day..it's amazing how the days pass by..

You can do it...believe in yourself...finally Commit.... Take smoking off the table...no matter what...

Looking forward to getting to know you better ...

• Like 2

Welcome rjr! We are here for you through thick and thin of your quit. Your body is giving you an ultimatum and you have risen to the challenge. Congratulations on your quit and your success in losing weight! As you will know from having quit before, you'll soon be feeling better and your fitness goals will be easier achieved without the poison bringing you down. Looking forward to seeing your success story unfold, KTQ!

• Like 1

Welcome rjr :)

You obviously have been down this road before. You mentioned that the 5 month mark seems to have been your undoing in previous attempts. Do you know why that is? Understanding what has motivated you to start smoking again at that stage is important to overcoming it this time so please give that some thought in preparation for getting to that stage again. Did starting up again solve any problems or issues you were having? I suspect it did not and in fact probably left you deflated about having relapsed.

This addiction is a very powerful one and takes pretty much all we have to beat it back into the background of our lives. It will always be there because we are all addicts but, the good news is that each one of us CAN live very happily without smoking if we really want to badly enough. You choose to smoke so, now choose to quit. The power to do either is all yours :)

Hope you stay with us and participate here as that seems to be a very large component to our success in quitting as well.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard RJR.

Quitting smoking and taking up an exercise regimen combined with consuming the information and support found here on the Train is a recipe for success.

Congratulations on taking your life back.

• Like 2

Welcome Rjr and congrats on your quit. Keep close to this page, believe me it is an integral part of a successful quit. I slid away when I should have pulled closer. I too have had several quits but believe that Im on my sticky one now. For me, I tell myself that I cant control every aspect of my life but certainly have control over putting a death sentence in my mouth.

Keep on keeping on and Nope daily!

• Like 2

Welcome rjr.

As Doreen said, “take smoking off the table - no matter what”. It’s a pretty simple concept, but it makes managing your craves a lot easier if you know that no discomfort or annoyance will get the best of you. Eventually those will go away and the rewards will open up a wonderful new life.

You can do this!

• Like 2

I just signed up today as this is the last in a number of quit attempts. 

Sarge sees that you have correctly self diagnosed your problem.

Namely this: You need to stop all the attempting and get on with the quitting.

There is never, and can never be "another" quit, for once one is quit, one is done forever.

There can always be "another" attempt ... but "attempt" does not equal "quit".

EZPZ

• Like 1