MLB Playoffs - Anyone?

Reciprocity

Down to the division finals now then the World Series. I don't follow it during the season to closely but will be tuning in for the remaining playoff games when I can. Usually pretty decent baseball. Loved it when this guy was still playing (#44 Reggie, Reggie - lol) What a great hitter he was :)

2v2bma1.jpg

• Like 1

The Braves finished with a losing record, 25 games out of first place.  So, to quote Jim Mora: "PLAYOFFS?  Are you kiddin' me?  PLAYOFFS!"

Put the tomahawks away.  We'll get 'em next year.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I loved it when the Braves were in it pretty regularly some years ago. The wife & I used to sit at home watching those games doing "the chop" :lol:

Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz working the mound.  Good times!

And the slowest guy on the team had the most memorable run in that era...

• Like 1

Lifelong Chicago Cubs fan and, growing up in the south, the Atlanta Braves were always my other team.

I don't think this year's Cubs team is as good as last year's but I'm still pulling for them.  I don't think they'll win it all again this year but I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

I agree. It's tough to repeat in any sport. You never know though. By rights, Cleveland should be right there but they are gone already so ...... At least the Cubs got that one last year! I felt worse for Cubs fans than I did for Boston Fans before they broke "the curse". I remember when the Boston almost did it except for the Billy Buckner play?? They ran him out of town right quick after that disaster. Never to be heard from again :o

• Like 2

Lifelong Chicago Cubs fan and, growing up in the south, the Atlanta Braves were always my other team.

Lifelong Braves fan, but followed the Cubs as well.  Back in the day, when you could watch all their games on WGN and Harry Caray was on the microphone.  Heeey, I'm a Bud man and a Cubs fan!

I remember when the Boston almost did it except for the Billy Buckner play?? They ran him out of town right quick after that disaster. Never to be heard from again :o

Bill Buckner took a bum rap for game 6 of the '86 World Series.  The bullpen blew two leads late in the game, there was a fielding error on a bunt, and the tying run scored on a wild pitch.  The Mookie Wilson grounder that went between Buckner's legs was just the culmination of a team falling to pieces in a clutch situation. 

• Like 2

You're right because these are team sports and it takes a team to win or lose but, in a super-charged emotional situation like that people always want simplicity in the reason for things that happen. One simple thing (or person) to blame bad sh*t on and in this case, Buckner was the unlucky recipient of New England's wrath.

"We were sooooooo close then ............ BUCKNER!!!!"

• Like 1

Lifelong Braves fan, but followed the Cubs as well.  Back in the day, when you could watch all their games on WGN and Harry Caray was on the microphone.  Heeey, I'm a Bud man and a Cubs fan!

WGN showing the Cubs games with the great Harry Caray was what made me a fan as a kid during the days of Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, and pre-Braves Greg Maddux.  I hate that WGN no longer plays their games.

• Like 2

L.A. is up 1-0 as of tonight, We'll see what happens.

And the Astros are up 2-0 on the Yanks.

And eventually I will get used to the idea that Houston is now an American League club.

And Justin Verlander is winning at life.  A one run, complete game performance and his girlfriend is Kate Upton.  That dude is doing it right.

• Like 1

Couldn't help getting caught up in the excitement when Altuve lost his mind after tearing around those bases and sliding home. Thrilling finish for a great player! (Mom is a Yankee fan... Yeah, yeah, I know everyone hates the Yankees... including me. Sorry, Mom. I stick with my husband's Orioles). Houston can use a victory after all they've been through.

• Like 2

A.L. is the only league, isn't it :P

Is it time for me to break out my cranky old man diatribe against the designated hitter rule?  In the National League they play real baseball and respect the purity of the game...

I tell ya, these kids today!  With their haircuts and rap music and designated hitters...GET OFF MY LAWN!

HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldzUvM

Couldn't help getting caught up in the excitement when Altuve lost his mind after tearing around those bases and sliding home. Thrilling finish for a great player! (Mom is a Yankee fan... Yeah, yeah, I know everyone hates the Yankees... including me. Sorry, Mom. I stick with my husband's Orioles). Houston can use a victory after all they've been through.

Altuve is having one helluva postseason.  There's nothing not to like about a pitching duel that ends in a walkoff slide at the plate in October.  Good times.

• Like 2

The bad news is that the Cubs are now down two games.

The good news is we saw yet another great game in these playoffs.  The Rich Hill vs. Jon Lester showdown lived up to expectations and Justin Turner ends the game on the first postseason walkoff homerun in Dodger Stadium since Kirk Gibson's in 1988.

Some damn good baseball being played right now.

• Like 2

Just wish they would play those western games earlier. I need my beauty rest :P

A buddy of mine that I grew up with...nice guy.  Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but a nice guy.  He was talking about how late they play games in California.  "Sometimes they don't even start until ten o'clock at night!"  I could have tried to explain to him how time zones work.  Instead I just said: "yep, bunch of night owls out there."

You have to pick your spots.

• Like 3

A buddy of mine that I grew up with...nice guy.  Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but a nice guy.  He was talking about how late they play games in California.  "Sometimes they don't even start until ten o'clock at night!"  I could have tried to explain to him how time zones work.  Instead I just said: "yep, bunch of night owls out there."

You have to pick your spots.

Hilarious, I had a co-worker with similar "attributes" who, upon returning from a trip to Europe, spoke at length about how the French moon was so much different from the U.S. moon.

PS this lady has 2 Masters degrees. Go figure.

• Like 2

Hilarious, I had a co-worker with similar "attributes" who, upon returning from a trip to Europe, spoke at length about how the French moon was so much different from the U.S. moon.

PS this lady has 2 Masters degrees. Go figure.

Many people would do well to take Mark Twain's advice and not let their schooling interfere with their education.

• Like 5

So...that fat kid in North Korea.  Should America respond forcefully or simply wait for China to assert their authority in the region and effectively yank his leash?

Back on topic ..... Like it or not, Yankees finally have a win :lol:

Oh...okay.  I begrudgingly congratulate the evil empire on their dominant win last night.

Batting fourth, hailing from Tatooine...

0306oped_empire-391.jpg

• Like 2