MLB Playoffs - Anyone?

Reciprocity

I wish I could stay up for game 7 but I have a meeting in the morning, just got in from work tonight and I'm fading fast. I'll hear about it in the morning and see the highlights later in the day. Enjoy the game, boys!  It's been an exciting series (what I was awake for anyway). 

• Like 2

Great win for the Astros.  Great win for the city of Houston.

Also, a great win for Ben Reiter of Sports Illustrated who predicted the Astros would win the 2017 World Series back in 2014.  In 2014 the Astros had never won a World Series and were cellar dwellers.  Reiter saw the potential of the young players Houston was putting together and made a bold prediction.  And now that guy is viewed as a baseball prophet.

Tip of the cap to Houston manager A.J. Hinch.  Sacrificing one at bat in the ninth inning to leave Charlie Morton in the game was a spot-on call.  I don't care what the analytics crowd says, you don't take the ball from a pitcher with a hot-hand.

world series baseball GIF by MLB

• Thanks 1

Yeah, kind of a long TV Sports drought for me now. I don't watch too many regular season games in any sport so not much coming up any time soon in the way of playoffs. I love watching the winter Olympics which are coming around in Feb. 2018 but, being in South Korea, the time difference for "live" stuff won't be favorable. As Boo's friend would say, "they just start those games way too late for me down there"!!

• Like 2

I love nfl football but the Ravens haven't been doing very well then last Thursday night, Joe Flacco suffered a terrible hit and was taken out with a concussion and an ear that was split open but they Ravens won in a shutout. I started a football thread but it didn't really take off and honestly there're so many Patriot fans... What can I say?  Ugh. That about sums it up. 

• Like 2

I have never been able to really get into NFL other than playoff games. I don't like the Superbowl just because it's way over-hyped and commercialized. Usually watch some of it but find the playoff games are usually more entertaining. I will be watching the CFL (Canadian Football League) playoffs that start next week. I know nobody cares about those but the final game - Grey Cup - is usually rock 'em, sock 'em and down to the last few seconds. Usually very entertaining TV when the weather outside is uninviting and the logs are on the open hearth fire!

CFL Game Day.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

I'm gonna see if we get CFL here in the US.  You guys probably know...

Unfortunately, ESPN has the exclusive rights to show any CFL games here in the States.  So you'll need to check ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes.  And of course if any games run over, they'll push the live feed over to one of their many other alternative channels.  Back when FoxSports and their regional channels carried some of the CFL games I would watch on occasion.  Like with most things sports related, ESPN came along and dropped a turd in the punchbowl.

• Like 1

I'm surprised any U.S. provider would bother carrying CFL games. It's not even all that popular in Canada anymore. Used to be huge but now; not so much. The only exception to that is Saskatchewan Rough Riders. It's a religion in Saskatchewan!! They are fanatics big time and fill their stadium every game. Mind you, if you ever went to Saskatchewan, you'd understand why. Diddly-squat else to see or do there!

Sask.jpg

The CFL basically gets all the players that NFL teams cut from their rosters plus a few home grown ones for Canadian content. Their play tends to be a little more daring because their talent level is often questionable plus, with 3 downs instead of 4, there's A LOT more passing which tends to make things interesting. Bigger field too. Hoping there will be some good battles during the playoffs which start next weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reciprocity said:

The CFL basically gets all the players that NFL teams cut from their rosters plus a few home grown ones for Canadian content. Their play tends to be a little more daring because their talent level is often questionable plus, with 3 downs instead of 4, there's A LOT more passing which tends to make things interesting. Bigger field too. Hoping there will be some good battles during the playoffs which start next weekend.

The CFL was ahead of its time.  The NFL chose to make offense the priority by practically making it illegal to cover a receiver downfield.  The CFL lets a receiver line up 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage and get a running start.  

If you're gonna build a league around winging the ball all over the field and scoring a bunch of points, really commit to it.  Giddy up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are new pass interference rules that are starting to become a bit problematic at times, in my opinion. I hope the officials ease up a bit on what they were calling the past year or two. It's a delicate balance but let's face it, it's not "flag-football" we're playing here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boo said:

Unfortunately, ESPN has the exclusive rights to show any CFL games here in the States.  So you'll need to check ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes.  And of course if any games run over, they'll push the live feed over to one of their many other alternative channels.  Back when FoxSports and their regional channels carried some of the CFL games I would watch on occasion.  Like with most things sports related, ESPN came along and dropped a turd in the punchbowl.

Thanks, Boo!

• Like 1