Shanakor has lasted 5 days!!!

Shanakor

I am sooo proud of achieving my goal of nonsmoking for 5 days.  :wub:

Sometimes the cravings are a shitstorm and very inconvenient, but slowly I can imagine living without cigarettes more and more. 

I am planning on celebrating the 1 week milestone of nonsmoking by partying very hard with two friends in Vienna. (We live in Austria, but Vienna still is something very special to go to for us)
We simultaneously are going to celebrate one week nonsmoking of me, 1000 accomplished tasks on my todo list, his passed exams and her birthday. 
I am looking forward to this sooo much.

However, as smoking is associated with the brains reward center and alcohol is known to lower the inhibition threshold I want to ask you guys if I can do something special to prepare for the night? Obviously my friends know that I am an ex-smoker and won't offer me any cigarettes as they know how hard it is to quit this addiction. 

Still I know that probably the moment will come, when we all are having tremendous fun and suddenly the cravings hit me. So I think to myself "Can't I just feel like nothing is missing for today, as it is a special day?" 
I think I am looking for thoughts that tell me how it still is better to go through a party night without smoking than with smoking. 

All of you have supported me so much already and I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I can't stress enough, how grateful I am for you.

• Like 4

Shanakor, you're doing great.  You never know what moments will be difficult and what situations will be easier than you thought.  The only preparation you need is your firm commitment not to smoke, no matter what.  The happiness you have now about having achieved your first smoke free week will be completely annihilated if you light up.  Just have a great time, enjoy your friends, enjoy your freedom and hold onto it.  KTQ! 

• Like 2

Congrats Shanakor for getting past 5 days! That is an accomplishment in itself for sure as those early days are very difficult at times and a real test of our quit smoking commitment :)

It is good to reward yourself as you reach milestones - that's for sure. It's hard work to quit and a little treat or some fun along the way is necessary. Having said that, be very careful with the drinking thing. I have read many a post where someone's quit as been lost due to over indulgence with alcohol. I can't lie to you here - it's a potentially dangerous situation particularly early on in your quit and I'm sure you'll have others telling you this as well.

That's the bad news. Now having said that, in that you are aware of these things, that is a good thing. You know you must be on your guard. I would try to limit the drinking your first time out in this kind of situation until you know how YOU will react to drinking while staying quit. Personally, it has not affected me at any point in my own quit to have a few drinks but I know it does affect some others negatively.

Speak with your friends maybe before the night gets going and express your concerns to them. They sound like they can maybe help watch over you to make sure you don't light up.

You want to feel like nothing is missing for that day? Sorry, that's not going to happen first time going through this situation as this quitting thing is a 24/7 deal and you will still need to be dealing with the quit symptoms and fighting the urge to smoke while you enjoy your night out with friends. You CAN do both you know if you take things in moderation. The good news is once you go through this experience successfully, you will know exactly how to handle these outings in future and pretty soon, you will feel very comfortable going out to party as a non-smoker. That's how quitting works. You face different situations as a non-smoker and your brain rewires itself to learn  how to live life enjoyably as a non-smoker.

Be sure to report back in and let us know how things went :)

• Like 4

That's too bad as you need to have some fun while you're quitting just because it can all get pretty overwhelming at times so a little break is good providing you can do it and keep your quit. We all have to put on our Big Boy/Girl Pants at some point and face the tough situations in order to conquer them. Just make sure you're ready when you do :) Like I said before, you can have some fun & keep your quit too!

Besides, if you ever lose you quit, Doreen will come after you like this ............

kaibu9.jpg