Quitting is VERY HARD

Jewel

I'm using step 3 patch & lozenges. I'm having an awful time. Giving all nicotine up makes sense but I'm too scared. Unsure if I can take anymore than I'm going through! I've never felt this bad or anxious...

Between the patch and the lozenges and how you feel, sounds like you're getting just enough nicotine to keep yourself in a constant state of withdrawal. You can end that by taking the plunge and getting clean once and for all. Even if the first 3 days are rocky, may very well find that it's not as bad as what you're going through now. If I were you, that's what I'd do. I'm obviously not you, so you'll make your own decision- just sharing what I've learned in my 3 quits and passing it on.

Best to you,

PT

• Like 2

I'll think more & will probably try it! I wouldn't wish this in anyone,its awful...

Guess I'm stuck either way... As bad as it is, I fighting to stay quit right now. Unfortunately, the CIG will not change the way I feel for the better!

• Like 3

I'll think more & will probably try it! I wouldn't wish this in anyone,its awful...

Guess I'm stuck either way... As bad as it is, I fighting to stay quit right now. Unfortunately, the CIG will not change the way I feel for the better!

You're absolutely right there- the cig would only make it worse!

• Like 2

I quit cold turkey right from the start pretty much and now glad I did! Get that Nicotine out of your system asap then focus on the physiological part of quitting which is the longer term effort. Doing it in reverse seems counterintuitive to me.

• Like 1

Good evening! I don't feel I'm strong enough to do cold turkey still. I skipped 2nd step & managed.

I really could use tips on how to stop the hand/mouth obsession. Probably would help to buy less hard candy & get fruits & veggies. Need ideas that are quick, easy & can taken/eaten while doing other stuff.

I'm wanting to stay free from cigarettes, the constant candy, (eating) & the high level anxiety has to come down...

• Like 1

Keeping your hands busy...can you knit..if not.why not learn...our DD here did that..plus you will have a nice winter scarf too...

Jigsaws...this will keep you busy also for endless of hours..find a hobby....

These will also benieft your anxiety...it will create peace and calm...don't forget your Qi Gong...

Great for inner peace ...

What about a great book...curl up with a great novel and chew on a carrot..perfect...

Try snacking on healthy stuff...carrots,celery...regular chewing gum..will keep your mouth busy....

Your doing great Jewel...never forget what your doing is amazing...and always feel proud...xxx

Manage your quit in whatever way you feel is best for you. You don't need to conform to anyone else in terms of how you quit - just make sure YOU DO quit! If that means using patches or whatever other support methods then use those methods. Just never put another cigarette in your mouth and light it! Not 1 Puff Ever!! That is the only way through this journey to come out the other side successfully.  And it IS possible as there are many people here on this site with impressive quits to tell the newer people that it can be done. We are no different one person to another - we all struggle in our own ways to break free of this addiction but you need to be prepared to do the heavy lifting when it comes right down to it. We can support you but we can\t quit for you. You need to do that for yourself.

• Like 1

I really could use tips on how to stop the hand/mouth obsession.

Why stop?

Just switch to something benign and zero calorie. Sarge chewed on those plastic coffee stirrer straws for months. Go to gas station. Buy 1 coffee. Hork 50 stirrer straws. They make a pretty good fidgeting instrument to keep the hands busy, now that there's no cigarette to occupy them.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

Jewels..

Any kind of excersise... Walking swimming..dancing..Qi Gong etc..

It releases your feel good neurotransmitters.. Endorphins...

It's impossible to feel anxious and happy endorphins at the same time...this why folks who suffer from

Anxiety,depression panic attacks are encouraged to do gentle excersises..

Try and do as much as you can..each day..

I loaded my fav songs on a I pod..singing..and dancing around the house ..still do...

Nothing like a good dance to a good tune..who cares what it looks like..

Great posts & ideas! Thank you all! I'm experimenting & trying find a solution! After 2 rough days & nights, today, went back to the basics & will start from nothing. I'll add slowly to see result before trying something else.

I quit smoking with nrt then when the anxiety started, I added herbal remedies, teas & more vitamins on top of what I already took trying to get relief. Think I need to try slower approach & hope it works quickly!

This forum is GREAT & so are ALL of You!

Yes, keep trying different approaches until you find a combination that works best for you.

I would just caution you not to expect any "quick" solution. In general, most find that the progress is very gradual. It's a process and it takes time but it will happen. Surely you must feel differently now than the first week of your quit - right? But can you tell me which day it changed for you? Probably not because it's a very gradual process. Facing down each of your old smoking triggers and saying NO to lighting up. Each battle you win makes you stronger and weakens the addiction until, before you know it those old triggers don't result in a strong craving any more.

Mindset also counts for a lot. Especially in this part of your quit. Focus your mind on all the benefits you are already realizing because you have quit smoking and be careful of looking back at smoking as a pleasurable and relaxing thing because it wasn't in reality. You were just feeding an addiction all those years - that's all. Now you're free of that and your only job is to make sure you stay that way by strengthening your quit. YOU can do it. You're already doing it!!

• Like 4

Exactly! Thanks! My cravings have been awful! One said it was tired of pacifiers, bring on the the hard stuff, cigs!

That is one HEXx of a monster I have nursed for years! A real beast & it's fighting hard to win as I continue to be smoke free & loving it! I can say that it's been a struggle to keep track of all the aids I used but they all help, even just as distraction & I needed/need all the help I get!

Happy Smoke Free Friday! That monster won't get the best if me, I'll get strength & power from it! Love not smoking...

And I'm going to start hypnosis for not SMOKING while I drink herbal teas by the gallons!

• Like 1

We are here for you Jewels and I hope that is also helping you to battle this deadly addiction. Do what ever you need to do but just know that "smoking is NOT an option"!! The longer you remain smoke free, the easier it will get. I know you have heard this before but it is true. I have only recently come to really understand this in that I now rarely think about smoking and when I do, it doesn't seem to be something I would really want to do. You will get there too as long as you battle this quit with all you have to give :)

• Like 2

Good evening! I've been doing OK & anxiety wasn't off the chart. Still very high! Drinking camomile tea days & sleepytime tea nights w/hypnosis & herbal anxiety remedies.

Even though nothing happened, I wanted to smoke. Very much craving a cig! It's really strange to want not to smoke as much as I thought I did & still want it as much?!

I've been cutting down since at least September & all mostcall

I don't know the 'right' way to quit. I've read the posts here, similar sites, A Carr's book & anything else I could find.

Good evening! I've been doing OK & some days my anxiety wasn't off the chart but still very high! Drinking chamomile tea during the day, sleepytime tea at night w/hypnosis & herbal anxiety remedies.

Even though nothing happened the last I wanted to smoke. I was very much craving a cig! It's really strange to want not to smoke as much as I thought I did & still want it as much I do!

I've been cutting down since at least September & pretty much all the years I've smoked! I cut down to 1 about 10 years ago & stopped buying cigarettes by the carton then 'because I was going to quit' & I continued to buy packs until recently! This ridiculous, total insanity! I'm an addict & this is the end of my insanity!

I don't know the 'right' way to quit. I've read the posts here, similar sites, A Carr's book & everything else I could find to help me quit & stay quit!

I really appreciate this site & all of you! It's great there are places & people willing to help w/quitting! I wouldn't/couldn't have made it without the help & information being available!

I've stopped smoking after 47+ years, I hear that it's easy to quit, having to not smoke hasn't/isn't easy for me! Quitting is something I work on daily, sometimes by the minute or hour to stay stopped. I really hate being the Scrooge of smoking past & would rather...

I haven't tried to quit in many years & really haven't had successful quits to compare. I'm very confused... I know it would be stupid to start smoking again & I can't say it would even make anything better. I do actually know smoking would be worse in many ways. So by me posting all of these thoughts was helpful to me & hopefully someone else too! Thanks, I needed that! Another successful smoke-free day as I begin another... I hope you enjoy your day & hopefully you will also do it w/o smoking too! We all know the dangers, illnesses, ect are real.

• Like 1

You are quitting the right way Jewel...never sticking anything in your mouth and setting it alight..

My quit wasn't easy ..after 52 yrs of smoking ..I knew it was never going to be a walk in the park..

But I kept reading and learning...

Keep winning the battles jewel..one day it will all fit in to place ,and you know you have won your war...

Taking it day by day is how we all Quit...

Don't over think..our minds are our worst enemies...deal with this day..tomorrow is another day...

And yes ..it would be very stupid to start again...you have come so far...

Don't forget to reward yourself...with all the money ,you have saved...its very important...

It's a little uncomfortable just now...but I can tell you emphysema is much more uncomfortable....

I wish I could let you feel how wonderful being free feels...I carnt of course...

But keep at it and I promise you will get to feel it for yourself...

• Like 1

'never sticking anything in your mouth and setting it alight..'

That sounds so realistic! Where was my brain when I did that, over & over again?!?!

This smoking really is horrible. & having to quit really isn't a piece of cake! The NRT does prolong the agony of nicotine withdrawal! You go through it over & over, as many steps you go through. Then same as quitting cold turkey. I've known this & held on to trying to take the easier, softer way! Nicotine lies! Yes, I'm still afraid & each step I was afraid! Skipped most step 2 & still afraid of what I've gone through a few times now.

This has been quite a journey & still looks like my first class tickets are a million miles away!

Note to self: please never forget your journey to the quit! Don't ever smoke again! Not one puff! Don't...

There's No reason to stick something so damaging to your health & sanity in your mouth! Resulting in having to do it over & over again! Never enough!

• Like 2

This has been quite a journey & still looks like my first class tickets are a million miles away!

You're a whole lot closer now than you were two-months ago.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 3

Good evening! That's so true, life & many things have changed! Finally the anxiety is bearable most times!

I've stopped the horribly habit of smoking & picked up a few other habits. I'm trying not to let them bother me until I get a gripe on my smoking recovery.

I hope everyone has had a great day & get a good night rest! The best has yet to come...