Quitting is VERY HARD

Jewel

Good evening! I made it through another say w/o smoking & very happy I did! I hope you did also! Today I had more & stronger craving than I've had in recent days! I'm not sure why but not only the craving, somehow I kinda want to smoke! It's like the taste, the smoke, all the horrible little nasty details I'm missing! I don't want too! I'd love to announce that smoking sucks & mean it! (It does) Or that I hate smoking, it disgust me! I'd really love to feel, hate smoking! One day maybe! Anyway, no matter how I feel, the crazy thoughts I have or don't have or even the cravings, I Didn't SMOKE TODAY! That's the most important part of my day, making it w/o a CIG!

• Like 2

Come here and bellow away...we understand what's happening..

Have you thought of doing a blog.???....its something to look back on..im sorry I didn't..it would have been great reading now...and a great reminder just how far I've travelled...give it some thought..

Stay strong..you are doing great..and should feel very proud...x

Good day! I'm so glad to be here & not smoking! I believe this although I miss much of that ugly smoking habit, o including the nasty taste! I remember many times not liking it & wishing I didn't have it but I miss it. Strange but true.

That's the paradox of the quit: I don't want to be a smoker, but I could sure go for a cigarette right now.  One of the most helpful pieces of advice I picked up early in my quit was something Joel Spitzer said in one of his videos: it's fine to want a cigarette, you just can't smoke.  I screwed myself with unrealistic expectations in previous failed attempts at quitting.  I thought the fact that I still wanted to smoke meant I was doing it wrong.  Seems obvious now, but if the desire ceased as soon as we quit...addiction would not be a problem.

I'd love to announce that smoking sucks & mean it! (It does) Or that I hate smoking, it disgust me! I'd really love to feel, hate smoking! One day maybe! Anyway, no matter how I feel, the crazy thoughts I have or don't have or even the cravings,

You can hate it and fight it or you can simply refrain.  The only thing that matters is: you didn't smoke today.

Good work Jewel.  Keep doing what you're doing.

• Like 1

Good morning! Thanks! Yes, it is a paradox of so many things! I will not smoke today no matter what else does or doesn't happen! That's what matters most! It's going to a beautiful & hot day! Enjoy, SMOKE FREE!

• Like 2

Hi Jewel :) Glad you are on here interacting with us all. It really does help and we have all been there so we truly do understand.

You are coming up to the 1 month mark which is Great but, still pretty early in your quit. You will still have up and down days for a while but those really will start to smooth out for you more and more all the time now and will become easier to deal with too. The anxiety will also fade gradually. Sooner for some and later for others but it will settle down eventually for you.

I still think of smoking as well at times like; oh gee I miss doing it at times and I miss the taste too at times but then I think of the realities and that snaps me out of my daydream pretty quickly. There are so many stories I have read about people with pretty long term quits who have givin in to similar thoughts which leads them to relapse. I read the same thing every time. The regret and the shame they feel afterward is incredible. I just know, I never want to experience that myself so I hold the memory of those stories in my head always so I don't get trapped into a similar relapse situation.

The other thing I think about when I'm thinking I might like to smoke again is that we always seem to remember the good things and never the bad about past experiences. Sort of like an old failed relationship. Oh, wouldn't it be nice to still be with so & so. We had such fun times together! Yes, that's probably true but there was also some other stuff that lead you to split and you've now forgotten just how intense that was.

Anyway, you're doing great so keep it up and focus on all the good things you are starting to notice since you've quit :)

• Like 3

Good afternoon! Yes, its nice to be able to come here & tell y'all I'd like to smoke. It's so much better to say it & not go buy a pack of cigs to smoke! Today was hard to go out & buy no cigs but instead stuff to calm & to celebrate that I'm not smoking! I'm determined to continue down the No Smoking road! Thanks for riding along!

• Like 1

Nope! All of these thoughts are normal?!? I've read some things online & many continue w/thoughts, cravings, etc forever!? Days do get better! If not, there wouldn't be ex-smokers & we'd be doomed to being miserable or by smoking. Life is good, we can quit & life can be better w/o smoking! I have copd, allergies & things smoking won't help! It won't help my life at all. I have been having many symptoms due to withdrawals & some I'm not sure but I do know nothing would be better by smoking & I have much better chances for much better a life by staying free from cigs at least for today/forever! I'm apologize for being Sadie Sad face. Life is much better w/o taking a puff! Smoking cannot do anything to make right now or the future any better. I am very sure smoking will make it worse!

Thank you everyone! Truth is truth, smoking is deadly!

Nope, I QUIT & refuse to go through any more withdrawal than what is already in my future! Yes, Life is going to be brighter w/o a CIG for you & me! ☺☺

• Like 1

Anxiety winding up again as the night is winding down! I'm sipping a cup of of my sleep time tea. It's been a rough day in many ways but I'm so very pleased to be Smoke Free! I hope y'all enjoyed a sf day also! Nope, I'll enjoy my tea & plan for sweet dreams! Good night...

• Like 1

Good morning! I am glad to be here with you today! Hope each & everyone is feeling fantastic & ready for the new day! Nope! Whatever it takes & I'm a very willing participant!

• Like 1

^^^ I would disagree. I know I found it hard, particularly that first week and even at times for the first month or so. By hard I just mean it was something I had never done before and didn't know what to expect. The increased anxiety and the constant battling of craving to smoke was a hard time to endure. Mentally and physically draining on many days for me. Maybe it's not that way for all but it is for some. Yes, I know attitude makes a big difference - I realize that but it's sometimes hard to have a chipper positive attitude when your anxiety levels are through the roof.

In any case, easy or hard - we are all here to learn how to become smoke free for life. That is the one common denominator we all share and it's what binds us together like a family, even though most of us have never met.

• Like 1

I found it hard..at the beginning.. My body went totally mental..I didn't know what was up and what was down..

Sleep deprived..nicotine deprived..

All I knew was keep going..because folks convinced me ..it got easier..phew thankfully they were right..

Otherwise.I might have been in prison for murder..the bad stuff does fade..I agree...

All we can do is keep marchin forward...until the bad stuff fades away...

• Like 1

Good morning! I disagree also! Quitting is hard even when trying to be as positive as possible especially when it feels like you are coming out of your skin. Urges comes on sometimes so strong, it like an action! So many symptoms & so many habits attached to the cigs.

I didn't want to go out my front door because I'd smoke out front. Many times I've done something that preceded smoking & started into going to smoke when I realize I don't smoke.

I still use patches/lozenges & would like to stop that soon.

I constantly want to eat, have mints, hard candies, lozenges or something to chew on! This is not good either! I don't know what to do to stop or be OK without chewing all the time, one of my jaw teeth broke.

Perhaps the thread should die, even my best days are still hard/difficult. Being new to not smoking, this 'thread' has added stability to my very fragile days. Of course, the forum & ability to share is actually what helped.

I'm happy with not smoking & wouldn't want to start again! I have many days in front of me & a few behind.

This too shall pass!

• Like 1

Since we all agree that the bad stuff fades, let's not forget that that principle applies to any bad stuff you may be going through in your quit. At the end of this road, this bad stuff will have faded and you'll be left with the memories of how strong, dedicated and persistent you were in this process. The bad stuff will fade. The good stuff will be magnified and built upon.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want it any other way! My worse quit day is better than any day smoking! That is what I plant my quit on! I can't continue to smoke & don't want to. I'm very happy to be a quitter!

• Like 2

Today is pretty rough! Stronger & more cravings. It's constant, relentless & nagging.

What can I do to keep from having to have this obsession w/my mouth & still be sane enough not to smoke?! I feel very anxious & on edge, really don't know what I feel but that it's very uncomfortable...

You should stop having so many of those "truly uncomfortable days" soon because you are almost 1 month quit. You will just have to power through the bad days unfortunately. Do something that takes your mind off the urge to smoke, or at least reduces the discomfort of those urges. Have you watched all the Joel quit smoking videos that are available here? If not, try that or, watch TV or Netfix or whatever will distract you. We all have to find our own way out of withdrawal.

I've spent all afternoon reading posts, info, hearing the TV, & did watch a couple of Joel's videos while my legs moving fast & w/o stopping! Crazy... I'm well read on smoking & quitting. I do enjoy the info I read here & am so happy I found this site when I did!

I'm having my 6th cup of herbal tea & 2nd of sleepytime tea.

In spite of the difficulties, cravings & whatever I am so pleased when I think I'm not smoking!

I believe what you've told me & others that this is temporary.

I'm still doing the nicotine patches & lozenges. I'm unsure but quite possibly making the whole detox, cravings, etc last longer, harder & increasing my own discomfort. I am suppose to start step 2 of patches & really wish I'd invested in more lozenges & started with step 2 or no patch.

I honestly don't know if I could/would have been able to get to this point w/o the NRT especially the anxiety! I am also fearful of moving to next step! The nicotine cravings will continue & I'll go through the detox each step?

The high level of anxiety is so difficult to deal with but I am happy to have stopped smoking! I don't know any ways to manage it, I've tried relaxed breathing, light exercise, doing something & distraction & really doesn't change it. I really want the anxiety to lessen.