Those who have been on the train..and disappeared !!!!!

I often wonder...

About the quitters who travelled with us for a while...some stay days,some stay weeks.

Some even stay months...they relaspe and never come back..

I'm thinking once you have learned all about this addiction..you have had the tools..

Your denial has been lifted...

How do you go back to smoking ..like you have never been here..

I'm not sure ..I would be able to do that..now I'm aware of all the facts..

• Like 4

I think it's the "this is too hard and beside, that bad stuff will never happen to me" attitude. It catches up with all of us sooner or later unless we are strong enough to make a stand and thank God for sites like this that lend us the support we need to make it through this quitting process. It's not easy; that's for sure but in the end, it's so well worth the sacrifice! I can't imagine going back to smoking and I'm only 5 months quit. My only regret is that I didn't find this path sooner but, I guess we are all on our own individual time frame in terms of when we make the move to take back our lives and extend our lives at the same time :)

• Like 4

How do you go back to smoking ..like you have never been here..

I'm not sure ..I would be able to do that..now I'm aware of all the facts..

I've wondered the same thing.  Once the curtain has been pulled back and you see smoking for what it is, it seems to me that continuing to smoke would prove far more difficult than keeping the quit.

Mired in addiction and self-loathing is no way to live.  Basking in the freedom that the quit rewards...sweet nectar!

• Like 3

^^^ I choose - Permanent Quit!!!

Thats right pig lover, never take another puff. Ive been there at the 5 month mark; you´re doing a monumental thing, never let it go to waste. Even at the 1 year mark there are moments of temptation but its up to us to deny the addiction. 

• Like 3

^^ Yes we will but I fear there are some who will never get to where they need to be. I guess we can only do what we can here and celebrate the one's we have helped :) I get really stoked when I see someone come on here that actually makes it through the quitting process - whether you hang around or not - just quit!!

• Like 4

I have to agree with you Sarge...

Although they join in..celebrate the others..even thank for thier anny days..

In the back of the mind ,they still believe cigs offer them something..

When I see someone who has a good quit ,smoke and disappear.. I'm thinking...

Why...

Well that's just me...and I know we are all different ..it's just Doreen over thinking ..

I agree..for me smoking would be more scarey than quitting...when I have had all the facts..

I hope some of those people do find thier way back..

• Like 4

Just to flip the coin on its head, maybe some people are continuing with their quit but just don't find the time to come on?  I know I am not one to spend hours on forums. I tend to just dip in and out as I please.  And when I do dip in its not coz' I'm craving a cigarette necessarily.  Everyone is different, and some of us just have busy lives!

Cue abuse!

• Like 2

Of course your right..there are some who just pop in..say hi and go on with thier lives..

I was thinking of the ones who were here all the time..and had good quits..relapsed..and never came back..

When you have supported someone for a long time ,and they just disappear... Your left wondering..

• Like 1

Most of them, in Sarge's mind, never got to see the smoking for what it actually is.

Yeah. They were told. They were schooled. They did NOT learn.

Now that I think about it...all the same information was available to me when I was smoking.  I remained willfully ignorant for years.  Addicts are prone to that kind of thing.

Because a man can see, he does not look.

patience_grasshopper.jpg?resize=450%2C29

• Like 2

I know I tend not to be near a computer on weekends or when away. I have also refused to succumb to the addiction of those iphone zombies LOL. I can truly be disconnected from society and technology. Nature and quite is way better.... sometimes LOL. 

• Like 3

What's telling is when a new quitter comes and goes quickly because most haven't gotten to the point to understand that they're addicted to a drug - they're drug addicts and don't treat quitting smoking as such.  Many feel as if they're giving something up that they enjoy and or something that helps them cope with stress, none of which is true.  Then perhaps there are those who come and go just as quickly yet have maintained solid quits.  :)

• Like 3

I'm still here and nonsmoking even though I've been gone for awhile. Glad to see so many familiar posts.

And I will never, ever see the words "easy peasy " without thinking of the Sarge and all of you.

Off to see if the numbers game is stil alive.

Love and thanks to you all.

• Like 1

I'm still here and nonsmoking even though I've been gone for awhile. Glad to see so many familiar posts.

And I will never, ever see the words "easy peasy " without thinking of the Sarge and all of you.

Off to see if the numbers game is stil alive.

Love and thanks to you all.

It's really good to see you Betsy..

Congrats on that great quit...we always need another chick in the numbers game...x

do you know for a fact they relapsed and never came back? or are you assuming that because they were once active on the forum and never came back, they they must have relapsed?

i know that, for me, forums aren't the end all be all. i clung to a forum way too much when i was going through my opiate withdrawal stuff eight years ago and i vowed to never cling to another forum during something hard again. maybe it's just my personality - but i felt alone when i would post [on that other forum eight years ago] and nobody would respond because it wasn't very active [at that time - now it's booming]. then again, i am weird.

• Like 1

I'm a teacher at a community college, and we have a fair amount of attrition in our classes.  It's very sad when students disappear; however many of their lives are extremely complicated, and I like to think that some of the things they've experienced (even if they're non-academic in nature) will stick with them.  And, as I've learned in my own life, it's certainly true that we're not always ready for the very valid information/lessons we hear. 

Christian99

15 1/2 Years Quit

• Like 1

do you know for a fact they relapsed and never came back? or are you assuming that because they were once active on the forum and never came back, they they must have relapsed?

i know that, for me, forums aren't the end all be all. i clung to a forum way too much when i was going through my opiate withdrawal stuff eight years ago and i vowed to never cling to another forum during something hard again. maybe it's just my personality - but i felt alone when i would post [on that other forum eight years ago] and nobody would respond because it wasn't very active [at that time - now it's booming]. then again, i am weird.

I am not assuming anything..

I was thinking out loud of what I know was fact..

I have travelling many months with some..they have relapsed while on board..went away and have never returned..

They may well be quit..and I hope they are..all I did say is now and again I wonder how these folks are doing..

And once you have been given all the tools ,I ..myself..would imagine it would be hard to go back to being a fully pledged smoker.

We are all different nellie..all road lead to Rome..

These folks were very active on here on a daily basis..so it's safe to say they must have wanted to be here..

• Like 1