What Does it Take To Stay Quit?

Tink

The truth is I am still learning 

I have had my triggers and my cravings

my personal triumphs and my low points

some days were a piece of cake and some were a battle of the mind

I have made mistakes and allowed emotions and personal circumstances push me to the brink

At times I have allowed the junkie mind to romance the idea that smoking will take away the situation I am in - in these times I have had to fight so hard my fingers bled, I scratched and clawed my way to hold on to my quit  

The longer down the road I am the more I realized that this is not the case as life rolls on and you really do not need to smoke to get you through a bad day or situation you start to relax and not be so reactive and you can shut down the junkie mind without any blood shed

Things I have learned to be true:

Mind is definately over matter

You do not need to smoke to help with anything a bad day is still a bad day 

Hold on no matter what - whatever it takes

We can make it as hard or as easy as we want it to be

We can take complete control if we want it (in your own way)

Fear makes things 10 times worse than it actually is or needs to be

With all this learned knowledge I am looking forward to marching onto my 6 months

All the information you need is right here on the board for your own successful quit wether you are 1 day or 5 months - just hold on tight to your quit

Thanks to all who have walked my journey with me thus far and for the new members we are there for you! 

• Like 15

Tracey, the difficulty for those still on the learning path is that they don't know if they are just starting, half way, or almost there. This in itself can be exhausting.

So trust me when I say that from watching you work this quit, I can tell you that you're doing all the right things. And that you are closer to having this in the bag than you realise. All you need now is a little time to mature what you have grown so well :-)

You've got this Tracey :-)

• Like 7

Wow Tracey, I have seen (read) all the triggers you put yourself through and you come out stonger each time.

You put yourself in situtations where your quit is in possible danger and you kick butt!

Then you post them here for other to read and learn from and that is playing it forward in the best way possible.

• Like 3

i liked this wiley but i cant open it lol - you are probably calling me an old hag or something worse lol

It says … " EVERY  DAMN  DAY " …  :)

" JUST  DO  IT "

• Like 4

The very first sentence of your post grabbed me! It's a huge part of the reason I relate to you so well.

Tracey, I was taught something by a fella I credit with saving my life.

"The minute we stop learnING and saying I've learnED is often when we slip into a teacher mode as opposed to student mode" My most profound teachers have always been people who had no idea they were teaching me something.

I am a student of life. May I never stop learning and may I never become so complacent in my quit that I think I know it all.

You inspire me Trac!

• Like 5

The very first sentence of your post grabbed me! It's a huge part of the reason I relate to you so well.

"The minute we stop learnING and saying I've learnED is often when we slip into a teacher mode as opposed to student mode" My most profound teachers have always been people who had no idea they were teaching me something.

I am a student of life. May I never stop learning and may I never become so complacent in my quit that I think I know it all.

You inspire me Trac!

There comes a time in a persons quit where they become completely confident Julie, not where they know everything, but where they know enough. It is important to know the difference between confidence and complacency, and to to allow oneself to reside within that confidence, for that is the place where inner peace exists.

At the end of the day, are we not all looking for, and helping each other to reach the stage where we know 100% that we are free from this demon we share?

I know you have what it takes to succeed and to never be complacent about what you've achieved.

You'll never stop learning the ways of others, but once you know the way yourself, you can't unlearn it.

I think that makes sense lol, it is rather late here :-)

• Like 1

There comes a time in a persons quit where they become completely confident Julie, not where they know everything, but where they know enough. It is important to know the difference between confidence and complacency, and to to allow oneself to reside within that confidence, for that is the place where inner peace exists.

At the end of the day, are we not all looking for, and helping each other to reach the stage where we know 100% that we are free from this demon we share?

I know you have what it takes to succeed and to never be complacent about what you've achieved.

You'll never stop learning the ways of others, but once you know the way yourself, you can't unlearn it.

I think that makes sense lol, it is rather late here :-)

Jonny5 you worry me sometimes....

You learn until the day you die....I learned that a long time ago...always keep the attitude of a student! There is a thin line between confidence and arrogance...it's called humility!

I don't do things half hearted. My quit was an accident..it wasn't planned but I do it either 100% or I don't. I researched addiction...because that's what I am right? I am an addict! So I researched it...because I didn't know anything about it.......how can I call myself an addict if I don't know what it really means. Just throwing words around without knowing what they  mean...not my style!

There is no "one fits all" solution. There is no one true answer to all the questions..you can't cure addiction or help an addict...they need to help themselves. If you are an addict yourself...never get too confident.....you need to keep our guard up! Regardless if you quit 1 months, 1 year or 10 years....you are an addict..don't get too confident!

Please don't take this wrong, but we never know 100%...at least I don't!

• Like 1

Nice post T.

I agree with all of it.

Sometimes - despite all of our best efforts - we fall back to plan B.

In my case - "Brute force and ignorance"...

The biggest surprise is that it is doable. Millions have done it before us and millions will after.

• Like 1

You learn until the day you die....I learned that a long time ago...always keep the attitude of a student! There is a thin line between confidence and arrogance...it's called humility!

I don't do things half hearted. My quit was an accident..it wasn't planned but I do it either 100% or I don't. I researched addiction...because that's what I am right? I am an addict! So I researched it...because I didn't know anything about it.......how can I call myself an addict if I don't know what it really means. Just throwing words around without knowing what they  mean...not my style!

There is no "one fits all" solution. There is no one true answer to all the questions..you can't cure addiction or help an addict...they need to help themselves. If you are an addict yourself...never get too confident.....you need to keep our guard up! Regardless if you quit 1 months, 1 year or 10 years....you are an addict..don't get too confident!

Hiya, several points you make so I will try to answer them all :-)

firstly, Don't worry about me :-)

secondly I did say that we are learning all the time, but once you know how to be a non smoker yourself, you can't unlearn that knowledge. I don't question why you feel the need to remind me that there is a difference between confidence and arrogance, the statement kind of speaks for itself.

thirdly there is a one fits all solution, it's called the "don't smoke method" the only difference is whether a person chooses to make it easy or hard on themselves.

fourthly, I know that I can never smoke again without restarting the process, this is not keeping my guard up though, this just a fact that is irrelevant as I will never smoke again. No such thing as too confident when we are talking about facts.  further down the road, you too may understand this.  You will get to the point where you are truly independent and free, and need no one to remain quit.   I am only here to support others, not for my own quit needs.

I think I've covered everything,

PS, I've been watching your posts with interest, they are really good.  I'm sure that you will be one of the folk who stick around to pay it forward too as time goes by :-)

You inspire me Trac!

thank you julie - we can never stop learning in quit and in life, it can come from unlikely sources, I have been inspired here by so many people, some only just quit, some years, you yourself inspire me Julie you got balls girl (don`t tell sarge) life throws you lemons and you make lemonade - I have seen your quit bloom and I  know you inspire many many more people behind and in front of you

all we can do is share our stories our journeys xxx

• Like 1

Hiya, several points you make so I will try to answer them all :-)

firstly, Don't worry about me :-)

secondly I did say that we are learning all the time, but once you know how to be a non smoker yourself, you can't unlearn that knowledge. I don't question why you feel the need to remind me that there is a difference between confidence and arrogance, the statement kind of speaks for itself.

thirdly there is a one fits all solution, it's called the "don't smoke method" the only difference is whether a person chooses to make it easy or hard on themselves.

fourthly, I know that I can never smoke again without restarting the process, this is not keeping my guard up though, this just a fact that is irrelevant as I will never smoke again. No such thing as too confident when we are talking about facts.  further down the road, you too may understand this.  You will get to the point where you are truly independent and free, and need no one to remain quit.   I am only here to support others, not for my own quit needs.

I think I've covered everything,

PS, I've been watching your posts with interest, they are really good.  I'm sure that you will be one of the folk who stick around to pay it forward too as time goes by :-)

thank you for your long reply....it is so eye-opening. Now I have to relearn this whole addiction thing, knowing that I can be cured is such a relief.

Yes, I will pay it forward some day :-)  

thank you for your long reply....it is so eye-opening. Now I have to relearn this whole addiction thing, knowing that I can be cured is such a relief.

Yes, I will pay it forward some day :-)  

you are already paying it forward ladybug, your posts, your journey, your support to others - thats paying it forward and you were doing it from day one! 

• Like 2

Tracey, you'll march on through the rest of your life a non smoker...I have no doubt about it ;)

Jonny, you know I do get exactly what you mean about the confidence, and once you know you that you can't unlearn what you know about yourself. I feel exactly the same way. I know these key words will mean 'Jack' to folk but I can see my thoughts of smoking were 'gremlins' in my minds computer-reference point, and that gremlins are destructible, but removable :) I had removed them completely and replaced them with auto pilots-the whole truth, nothing but the truth first about me, then my smoking addiction I had.

Unless someone held a gun to me head I would never smoke again, same as I wouldn't put my hand in a deep fat fryer, it's just something I would dream of doing. I have obviously lots still to learn about me, my many other gremlins, but the smoking one has been removed and replaced with a sense of inner peace that it's gone.

I have a strong 'hunch' that if folk (serial quitters)studied both 'the mind' and nicotine addiction it would be of invaluable help to them, I really do as it seems clear to me now that it would have released me years ago, still..better late than never ;)

• Like 1

Mind over matter... that is all it is.

I agree, but, it really does depend on the canvas of the mind folk start with. I really think 'that' is the key to mental freedom of most things. Sorting out the 'gremlins' and understanding self mind management. I'm doing it and loving it ;)

• Like 2

We all learn until the day we die but that's a very generalized statement about life and Jonny is talking quitting smoking and staying quit.  There is a big difference and you can't make such sweeping generalizations when somebody is talking about something very specific.

Quitting smoking, staying quit and being a happy, content non-smoker does not require constant learning for the rest of your life.  It requires vigilance and awareness, but not constant learning.  This isn't engineering or computer science where things are rapidly changing.  The laws of addiction have largely remained the same and in the case of nicotine addiction, they are static. 

I know that I keep my guard up by never forgetting that I'm an addict.  Jonny is the same way.  Being confident in your quit is your best weapon against never smoking again.  If you walk around with the mindset that you may or may not ever smoke again, you're doomed to repeat the past.  Once you come to the realization that you've not given anything up by quitting, you're going to feel like you're on some kind of diet and are depriving yourself of something.  This does not sound like a pleasant way for me to spend the rest of my life.

There is no "one size fits all" solution to quitting (like I wrote in the "About Us" section) but there is a one size fits all solution to remaining a happy, content non-smoker for the rest of our lives.  Allen Carr taught me this as he has millions of others.  Allen Carr was a happy non-smoker because he understood that he gave nothing up by quitting smoking and that he never really enjoyed smoking in the first place.  Allen knew he would never smoke again and I can guarantee that he didn't have the mindset that that he may or may not ever smoke again. 

Furthermore, Jonny5's aunt is a nurse who deals with smoking cessation and I can't speak for Jonny5, but I would imagine that he has a different perspective on this whole quitting thing than the rest of us.

• Like 3

Furthermore, Jonny5's aunt is a nurse who deals with smoking cessation and I can't speak for Jonny5, but I would imagine that he has a different perspective on this whole quitting thing than the rest of us.

What does Johnny5's relative's background have to do with his opinions? My uncle is a pharmacist, but I don't think I have the education or the training to fill prescriptions for you.

I do hope the moderators of this new forum are not now being touted as "nicotine cessation experts."

I'm going to listen to anyone that has one minute more than I do without nicotine; but, "take what you want and leave the rest" works just fine for me. What doesn't work is a response that negates what I am presently feeling or dismisses what I say with a self righteous and pompous "hope for my future" or some such nonsense. Posts I listen to are ones that offer me reiteration of the message that supports nicotine addiction, not a feel good "just say no."

I do credit everyone here with valuable experience in how they have quit smoking. And I am incredibly grateful to all of you for sharing those experiences.That's all I can share; my experience.

I don't much care for "trolls" either. "Trolling is the term derived from the word "troll," which indicates trailing a fish along a baited line." Throwing out several remarks per day that generally say it is easy to quit and if you feel bad, you're doing it wrong looks like a baited line to me. And putting smiley faces at the end of each sentence doesn't negate dismissing remarks.

Just saying.

• Like 2

Throwing out several remarks per day that generally say it is easy to quit and if you feel bad, you're doing it wrong looks like a baited line to me. And putting smiley faces at the end of each sentence doesn't negate dismissing remarks.

Just saying.

65BDJku.jpg

Yer doin' it wrong.

;)

:D

:lol:

Easy Peasy

• Like 2