side effects of quitting

Lyn4Life

Well I'm so happy you are a fighter..there is only way to go and that upwards and onwards....

Your free of nicotine.be positive..how many years is it you have been able to say that..

Thought I would mention..since quitting I carnt drink coke or diet coke..it gives me really bad heartburn..and acid reflux... I now drink tonic water with lemon..and havnt had it once...

Our body,s have to adjust to not working ...full of chemicals and poisons....

If you are still worried..a trip to the doc,S..just to check all is well..x

• Like 1

Yes, trip to the doc is in order to see if they can recommend something to relieve your issue. They will be thrilled that you are quit smoking so I'm sure will do all they can to make you as comfortable as possible. And yes, don't undo all that hard work you have done. Very proud to call you "A Quitter" :)

• Like 1

i know i bring this up in a lot of my posts [or have] but i am sober from pain pills eight years now. one thing i learned from that, is that everyone's body is different - therefore, what we go through when it comes to withdrawals is going to be different than the next person. and although i say this to you, i can honestly say that you sound just like me [once again] with what i have been going through, withdrawal wise.

i have had some horrible diarrhea issues. sorry, not sorry. i mean THE WORST, haha!

i have had some horrible acid reflux as well and it is bothering me as well.

my anxiety and health anxiety is through the roof. the first few days i had a few panic attacks and the last one i had took me about an hour to calm down from.....that was N O T pretty, lemme tell ya.

i, too, have read online that this happens with people who have been smokers for some time. so, like doreen said, she smoked for five decades and had none of these issues. i believe her, completely. but that doesn't mean others have not. again - everyone is different.

but.... quitting smoking hasn't killed anyone. it's kind of like.....hmmmm, how do i put this?

it's like we have screwed up our bodies for so long, that now we are going through punishment. but when we got grounded as kids, as punishment, the sun still was shining the next day when the punishment was over. we are just being "grounded" for some time for kicking ourselves in the arse, for lack of better terms. it's worth it, though. i would gladly continue to kick my own rear end if it means that i will outlive my smoking friends. :)

much love to you [and everyone else here] and KTQ!

keep posting - i can tell, somewhat, that it can be helpful to some!

Of course we are all different..I did have acid reflux...and did mention I carnt drink coke anymore..

It just didn't Last for months ,which is what was mentioned...

Doreen had two bigger problems facing here!!!!!....she needed to keep hold of her two feet...

When I joined here..I didn't know if I have left it too late... All I could do was plod on and pray...

I know for sure...I wouldn't have made it ,without this site and the folks here..

I didn't have the tools or a tool bag...

Staying here and helping all the newbies that follow,has been the cement for my own quit...

I can honestly say Nellie...I never thought quitting would be so much fun..

But as you say we are all different ,and take different routes to Rome !!!!..

• Like 1

Mental side effect  this is smoothing I notice from time to time. I was wondering if anyone else who has a few months finds this. I was on a road trip to my sisters and at one point I felt like I was waiting for something. It was a strange feeling in the old days it was more HOLD ON till we hit a road stop for a smoke. This was more like a mild feeling of expecting something (which I guess is a ghost of the old withdrawal feelings when traveling).

• Like 1

Yes  - that's what I mostly get now. Not really a definable craving or urge to smoke but a feeling like something isn't 100% right - like something's missing or there is something additional I should be doing or feeling. Kind of hard to explain but I think it is what still left of my reprogramming to function without cigs. I still get the odd very identifiable craving at times too but these others are much more subtle.

• Like 1

I would not believe what I read on the net either. Some people (even some I know personally) like to inflate how much they suffered and in some cases continue to suffer from quitting. IMHO, for that kind of stuff to go on for months, there's something else going on or it's a mindset problem. I would be on guard against "junkie thinking" creeping in. I've fallen prey to that one often enough. The trick is to recognize it for what it is before you take a step you will regret. KTQ! 

Absolutely.  I would also warn against making too many assumptions and attributing everything to having recently quit smoking.  It is not uncommon during the early part of a quit to attribute everything from gut issues to stumped toes on nicotine withdrawal.  In many cases there is no relation between smoking cessation and the sources of irritation being experienced.  Of course the addicted brain is going to want to connect those dots for you...Watch it, it's a trap!

• Like 1

Now in my 13th day of not smoking. Came very close to buying a pack to tobacco 2 days ago! If someone had offered my a CIG, I would have smoked it!!

Starting to smell my surroundings a lot clearer now. My place of living now smells like lavender :) I can smell a smoker from a long distance away & car fumes are hideous! We all need to get as passionate about smoking as doing something positive about getting rid of dangerous toxins emitting from vehicles!

Still have acid reflux & its still disturbing my sleep every night & occasionally vomiting from it. But know this is a temporary side effect if quitting smoking is keeping me going & am taking all the right natural remedies to help get rid of it. I'm sure my digestive system will settle down soon...its been through major changes & its all positive :)

• Like 2

Now in my 13th day of not smoking. Came very close to buying a pack to tobacco 2 days ago! If someone had offered my a CIG, I would have smoked it!!

Starting to smell my surroundings a lot clearer now. My place of living now smells like lavender :) I can smell a smoker from a long distance away & car fumes are hideous! We all need to get as passionate about smoking as doing something positive about getting rid of dangerous toxins emitting from vehicles!

Still have acid reflux & its still disturbing my sleep every night & occasionally vomiting from it. But know this is a temporary side effect if quitting smoking is keeping me going & am taking all the right natural remedies to help get rid of it. I'm sure my digestive system will settle down soon...its been through major changes & its all positive :)

Well done H !!!...for staying strong ..

You would have hated yourself for throwing away a great quit...and it would have tasted awful

Made you feel dizzy and sick..you then would be angry .

Remember why you wanted to stop in the first place!!!!.....you were sick of them..younwanted them out of your life ..

The truth is they are now..your smoke free..be positive..keep climbing..

• Like 1

^^^ Yes HN - what Doreen said. As you move along a little further with your quit (happy 2 weeks by the way & well done!!) things will start to settle down a little in terms of constant carvings. That's when you really need to keep your guard up as they will come at you out of nowhere, hoping you will be weak enough to give in. Don't do it - ever. I have read many a lament over a failed quit and it's always the same thing. Regret, anger, sadness, disappointment and self doubt and, the cigarette they smoked tasted terrible as well. Not anything like what they were expecting. You DON'T want to learn this lesson first hand :)

• Like 1

Smoking can mask a whole lotta of stuff. I had some issues, I know others did too. But there is no reason to go back to smoking to mask it - now you just need help and advice to cope with that stuff better. You'll get there, don't give yourself any excuses. Side effects from quitting for me today, more money, this beer tastes awesome, I smell nice, the scented candle I just lit is the only thing frangrencing my home etc etc. NOTHING good comes of smoking, yes it can mask some stuff but we need to know about our health issues and deal with them individually as otherwise we are letting our whole body down. Much love and strength. x

• Like 2