Running in the summer

I finally broke down and bought a camelback this year. With ice in there, the water is so cold it hurts. Highly recommend if you love to run outside and hate treadmill. I ran on treadmill today :-(

Fit radio app has some great coaching features that mix things up.

• Like 2

That's what treadmills and cool basements are for.

Ours stays 74-ish without air conditioning even when it gets over 100 outside. Underground, naturally-cooled, thermally stable basement for the win.

Treadmills can be found dirt cheap on Craigslist (often times free). Basements? Not so much.

4/5ths of Sarge's miles are logged indoors. Once it gets over 80 Thermal Exhaustion is a thing. If Sarge has to stop due to overheating, he never gets started again and it's a walk home. That sucks on an 18-miler.

Easy Peasy

• Like 4

Haha, I have a treadmill, although I may look like I am a graceful being, let me assure you that I am quite the opposite. I can walk successfully on said treadmill but once I try to add speed I become one of those YouTube sensations that everyone laughs at, my clumsiness is the stuff that GIFs are made of.

I do wait until the temps drop a bit before heading out and I have my phone with me in case I actually cannot run back, someone can come and pick my sad ass up. The good thing about where I live is that it is never actually cold, so no matter what you are always running in the heat. If it is too hot I jump on the elliptical.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a headlamp and used it for the first time this morning.  Hitting the trails in the predawn hours is one way to beat the heat.  I don't know that I'll ever even need the max setting of 550 lumens, but it's there if I need it.

Fair warning: headlamps are not a fashion accessory.  My girlfriend laughed at me when I was wearing it and asked if it was casual Friday down at the coal mine.

• Like 6

Fair warning: headlamps are not a fashion accessory.

They are also *huge* bug attractors.

You will be spitting out mosquitos and swatting away moths the entire time.

Easy Peasy

• Like 3

They are also *huge* bug attractors.

You will be spitting out mosquitos and swatting away moths the entire time.

The mosquitoes are not an issue on the trails I was running.  Several caves...lots of bats.  The mosquitoes are not long for this world in bat country.

The gnats on the other hand...little buggers were coming in droves.

• Like 2

i love running outside as opposed to treadmill...even if it is hot.  Mostly because it's more interesting.  

Same reason I would rather ride my bike than take a spin class

running tomorrow.

I signed up for a 10 miler in october....probably wont end up running the entire 10 miles but it's the training that counts!

I am psyched!

• Like 4

i love running outside as opposed to treadmill...even if it is hot.  Mostly because it's more interesting.  

Same reason I would rather ride my bike than take a spin class

running tomorrow.

I signed up for a 10 miler in october....probably wont end up running the entire 10 miles but it's the training that counts!

I am psyched!

I don't mind warm days, it's these brutal ones that mess me up.

I do most of my running in the evening but it is still terrible out there.

10 milers are fun! You can do it!!!

• Like 1

I've evened it out to 3-3.5 miles most days.

I need to find more time to run, I'm just not getting any younger.

Neither am I, lol. I see these young whipper snappers outrunning me at fun runs all of the time. Then sometimes I look over and a person old enough to be my grand parent is outrunning them. LOL!

As long as you are up and out then you are good. ;)

I take pride in being the turtle stampeding through peanut butter, at least I am outrunning the person on the couch.

• Like 3

Old?

As Sarge was rounding the corner to the last 200 yard stretch of his first marathon (back in 2008) he heard coming over the P.A. : "... and here comes Edna Sparks - the oldest runner on the Full Marathon Course today at 83 years young ..."

Ayup.

Sarge got passed in the last 200 yard sprint, and beat, by an 83-year old Grandma.

Sarge barely beat 6 hours that first time. (5:48).

As he's gotten almost 10 years older he now runs it in 3:30, give or take.

Age. Means. Nothing.

It's all about consistent, long term, accumulation of training miles ... at any age.

Easy Peasy

• Like 5

You people

My dermatologist today said, 'your hair's gotten really long,' and I said, 'yeah and I'm getting old, let's do this peel.'

You people crack me up  :P

PS ... I'm "running" out to get some ice cream. Any of you all want some  :)

• Like 2