3rd time's a charm

Hi all. I've been poking around here for a few days and seems like a friendly and helpful group. Long story short (and it's always a long story isn't it?) this is the 3rd time I've quit and this is it for me. I really am done with smoking this time. I've definitely had my tough moments, but for the most part I'm feeling like now that I've made up my mind that no way am I ever going back to killing.myself, it's much easier.

In analyzing the toughest days/episodes so far, I realized later that there was a part of me (the addict) that was cooperating in making myself miserable. After all, if it gets THAT bad, I'll just have to go back to smoking, like I did in the past, right?!? Wrong! Not happening this time.

One of the things that's been most helpful has been not thinking about it too much. When I realize I'm ruminating about smoking,mi force myself to focus on other things. For that reason, not sure how much I'll be on this forum- we'll see. Hope that's OK and you all understand it's no reflection on you- just doing what I need to do to keep my quit.

Best wishes to all in your quit journey. Jump on the peace train!

• Like 6

Hi Peace Train! (reminds me of my Cat Stevens days - lol)

Looks like you have a decent quit going on there. In that this isn't your 1st time around the block, I assume you know what you are up against.  You're correct in assuming the addict in you is making you feel miserable. It wants you to feed it. You know you can't feed it or you'll be right back where you were day one wishing you were where you are now. It's a battle with the addiction and the more you win the weaker that voice in your head gets.

You say you don't know how much you will be with us here on the board. Do what you think is best but from my experience, I can tell you the more involved you are in communicating with others that are also quitting, the stronger your quit will become. Not only receiving advice but giving it out as well. There are others coming up right behind you. Mentoring them by communicating information you have gained in your quit not only helps them but reinforces it for you. It's a win, win! Just consider it at least.

• Like 3

Hi and welcome aboard..

Congrats on your great quit...its nice to see a lurker jump on and take a seat...

I too hope you stick around ..taking our daily pledge..makes your quit stronger each day...

Looking forward to getting to know you better..

• Like 2

I'm only 3 days into my quit from being a very heavy smoker for over 40 years. I have quit cold turkey with no aids or nicotine replacement.

I am struggling, but if it wasn't for this group's encouragement, logging on constantly, reading as much as I can to prepare me...well I could not have done it without this group & all that I have learned.

Good luck, wish you the best :)

• Like 4

Feel very proud today HP..after this day ALL the nicotine has left your body..

I can remember thinking..WOW..after 52 years..I nicotine free.... What a fabulous feeling..

Your body now clean..it's upwards and onwards now...you just have to let you brain catch up..

You do this day by day..starting with a NOPE pledge..

A big pat on the back !!!!!

• Like 2

Welcome PeaceTrain!  I love that song.

Not thinking or fixating on lighting up a cigarette is a fantastic thing to so, especially when the urge or a crave sneaks up on you.  However, don't EVER forget that you're a nicotine addict, a former smoker and all that it takes is one puff bring the addiction back in full-swing.  Since I've quit, a lot of life has happened and not once did the thought of lighting up a cigarette enter my mind.  Even as a just wrote that, I find it hard to believe that's the case but it is, despite being an ex-smoker whose life revolved around smoking.  Make no mistake, I have never forgotten that I'm a smoker and I never want to forget because the time I do is the time I open the back door to some junkie talk, let my guard down and take that puff. 

For me, I made quitting a part of who I was and ultimately who I am today.  I can't change the past but I can control what I do with this addiction and keeping myself nicotine-free requires that I never forget that I'm a nicotine addict.  In the early days and months of my quit, this support group is was held me accountable and the constant talking, reading and learning has allowed me to get the point that I've stayed quit for over 3 1/2 years and when life happens, I don't think of smoking to get me through or perhaps even celebrate.  From my experience, you're better equipped to succeed if you're an active participant in a support group, especially during the first year. :)

Talking To Others About Not Smoking

Video discusses how talking both to long-term quitters as well as to people who are current smokers can help to strengthen your resolve to never take another puff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08bxg01NOw

I'll Come For Reinforcement When I Need It

Video talks about the benefits of regularly reinforcing your quit when things are easy as opposed to relapsing and having to try to quit again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiIOvdMZ7us&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB&index=12

Complacency

Video discussing the importance of not allowing yourself to become complacent after longer term success not smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZSktbwotI4&index=30&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB

Come Share Your Strengths, Come Share Your Vulnerabilities

Video talks about how helping others who are in the midst of quitting can help you to secure your own quit over the long-term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIloKURIIic&index=44&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB

• Like 2

You are quite right, MQ- gotta stay on guard and NTAP! As most of us know if this isn't our first experience with quitting, every time is different. I'm just so grateful every day since I threw my cigs, lighter and stash in the trash, that the crushing depression I went through the other (2) times I quit (all CT) just isn't happening, I'm attributing this to a more positive mindset, stronger commitment and taking control of my thoughts instead of being co trolled by them. It's all a mind game for me anyway, so fighting fire with fire. I definitely have my tough moments but they're getting few, farther between and less intense in general. It's those times when I'm romancing the smoke that I force myself to think of something-ANYTHING else and that's been working well for me.

One thing I'd welcome some help with is feeling proud of quitting. Just about everyone I know gave up smoking long ago so I feel, if anything, somewhat ashamed that it's taken me so long. Maybe that's just the sad truth and I need to accept it but when I read othe posts about being proud, I just don't relate and can't help thinking that would be another great motivator.

You all are a great inspiration- those with years who have a lot of wisdom to share are kind enough to do that when you've moved on from thinking about smoking as well as those who are struggling through the early days, weeks, months. I admire and appreciate all of you! KTQ!,

• Like 3

feel-proud-e1491491930138-300x300.jpg

You should feel very proud and happy ,you my friend have done something millions of folks would long to do ..

Me..I feel very proud every day..and thankful..I found this place ,and I had the strength to quit for good..

Freedom is the most awarding feeling ever...

Are you rewarding yourself.???...treats ..they are so important..what your achieving is so Amazin.. So you need to recognise This with rewards..it can be little .doesn't matter..as long as it's a reward...

We will always give you a big pat on the back ..

• Like 2

We are all proud of what we have been able to accomplish PT and you should be too!! It's not easy and Doreen is right. There are a lot of people smoking out there who really don't want to anymore but they just haven't been able to muster the courage yet to say; "That's it. I'm done with smoking!!" then followed through with their quit. You have quit now so be proud of that and wear it on your sleeve (so to speak) for all to see :)

• Like 3

Thanks all- working on that pride thing.  It would help if I could figure out how to get my quit meter into my signature.  I'm following the instructions but it doesn't seem to be working...  Maybe I'll poke around some more and see if there are other threads about it.

• Like 2