trying this again.

i recently tried to quit and quit my quit. i want to get better. i need to learn how to handle my anger and frustrations and stress levels better - but sometimes i feel as if that is such a far cry for me. the longest i had gone with a quit was 22 hours up until a couple of days ago. i was reaching 55 hours and my anger got the best of me. i went outside and smoked. my fault, my doing, and i am owning up to that.

what was worse was my husband had left for work super early this morning and i found a note on the counter from him with his vaporizer laying on it that said: be strong we can do this. i had to call him and let him know that while he had finally gotten on board with quitting, i had relapsed and failed.

the point i am trying to make is that i am 34 and have been a smoker for going on 18 years. i need help in doing this and i feel like, after speaking with my husband, i need to see a doctor and seek professional help while doing this. i do not want or care to take medications or anything - i just want to be able to put the cigarettes down and walk away for good. i want to seek professional help to deal with how i felt when i was trying to quit and to also get blood work done to make sure that this quit is not going to raise any other issues that may have been otherwise masked by the smoking. [blood sugar, blood pressure, etc]

has anyone done this before, where they see a doctor prior to their quit?

thanks for allowing me to join here and introduce myself.

• Like 3

In the words of Yoda... Do or do not.. there is no try.

You have to do this for you and only you. Prepare yourself get a proverbial toolbox together... snacks, drinks that help you detox, straws to chew on, a pillow to scream into. With every hour that goes by remind yourself how strong you are to have made it that far without smoking and tell yourself how silly it would be to throw all of that hard fought time away.

When you feel like you are going to cave post an SOS and wait for three responses. We are here for you, to help you, but only you can quit.

• Like 5

In the words of Yoda... Do or do not.. there is no try.

You have to do this for you and only you. Prepare yourself get a proverbial toolbox together... snacks, drinks that help you detox, straws to chew on, a pillow to scream into. With every hour that goes by remind yourself how strong you are to have made it that far without smoking and tell yourself how silly it would be to throw all of that hard fought time away.

When you feel likes you are going to cave post an SOS and wait for three responses. We are here for you, to help you, but only you can quit.

thank you for the kind words. and congratulations on three years

• Like 3

thank you for the kind words. and congratulations on three years

Thanks! We are here to help you get free from the addiction. I was where you are and I know what you are feeling, if I can get through it then I know that you can too!!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome nervousnellie :) I too struggled a lot with being very short tempered, feeling anxious to the point of just pacing around because I couldn't keep still in the early part of my quit too. I think it's just part of the price we have to pay to get ourselves rid of this deadly addiction. There are things you can do though to minimize some of these affects from quitting. Drinking fruit juice and keeping well hydrated. Eating as healthy a diet as possible. Seeing a doc up front may not be a bad idea. I didn't  do that but having your blood levels checked up front might be good. Then they could check them again later to see if there's been any changes.

Stay close to this site and read, read, read. Watch the Joel videos too. The better educated you are about the addiction, the better off you'll be. I too quit cold turkey so it's very doable. It's not pretty but you just have to want to quit more than you want to smoke.

Take the daily NOPE pledge here too. Gets you day started off on the right foot. Coming to a place like this is also a great tool. I didn't even imagine it until I stumbled across this site. Have unconditional support from others who really "get it" it an amazing tool. Stay with us and participate. You'll see. The more you get involved, the more committed you'll become to your quit :)

• Like 2

Hello Nellie Welcome. First you have to say I want to quit, to add I will try sets you up from the get go. Almost like I am going to try not to eat the brownie when I am on a diet LOL. Nothing wrong with getting a doctor visit in I am sure he or she will just reinforce all the reason and benefits quitting will bring. Post and read while here it helps allot. Tell yourself YOU CAN DO THIS!

• Like 2

Welcome nellie

I think DD pretty much covered it all.  

Your most powerful weapon in this battle against nicotine addiction is your mind.  When it's throwing the most wretched cravings your way, your mind has the capacity to beat it back and say, "it's not gonna happen".  After a while the addiction gets sick of trying to punish you.  

Let us know how you're doing.

• Like 3

Hi and welcome aboard..

I can only mirror what the others have said..

Being short tempered at the start ..is a common thing..I had a punching pillow..

I am normally a very laid back person..geez I was like a rotweiller..

Thankfully it does disappear.those that stay close here normally succeed..

Looking forward to getting to know you better...x

• Like 2

thank you all for the sweet comments. i do not know how to say this, but i do want to quit but i would also like to see a doctor first - hence why i asked if it is a good idea, or if anyone else had gone to a PCP prior to. i know it sounds like i am looking for a reason to prolong my quit, and maybe that IS part of it. but 98% of it is because i want to do this the healthy way. [backstory: i quit opiates cold turkey after weaning down from them for a couple of weeks - i did the detox and withdrawal from home for two weeks - i am now eight years sober...you would think quitting cigarettes would be easier; i have found they are not]

i know that everyone's journey and quit is different. i  was a part of another forum for smoking cessation but left it because i was vert negative toward people when i should not have been. [just being honest] but was told about this site and figured it would be my last ditch effort for support whilst hubby is at work during the day. luckily, i work out of the home and am able to stay online as needed.

thank you all again for the support.

Welcome to the train!

All the drugs and all the advice can not help you quit unless you want to quit. The wanting to quit has come from nobody else but you, it is your decision, all the other stuff is useless if you don't have it in your heart and sole that you are doing this. You CAN do this!

• Like 2

Welcome to the train!

All the drugs and all the advice can not help you quit unless you want to quit. The wanting to quit has come from nobody else but you, it is your decision, all the other stuff is useless if you don't have it in your heart and sole that you are doing this. You CAN do this!

thank you :) like i said in the comment above yours, i do want to quit - but i do want to make sure i am going about it the healthy way. thank you so much for your kind words.

• Like 1

Hope you can get checked out soon also. Having peace of mind about your health going into your quit will allow you to focus all your intention on the quit. As I'm sure you already know, quitting required your full attention for some time :) Please let us know how it's going.

• Like 3

Hope you can get checked out soon also. Having peace of mind about your health going into your quit will allow you to focus all your intention on the quit. As I'm sure you already know, quitting required your full attention for some time :) Please let us know how it's going.

thank you - i got my appointment for 1:15pm on friday and KTQ until then, as long as i can. i will do it!

• Like 1

Then I suggest you go see your doctor as soon as you can..then you can get down to the job of quitting .

Only you sweetheart can do that..we can support you in your quit...when you are ready..

thank you so much for the kind words. :)

• Like 1

i need to learn how to handle my anger and frustrations and stress levels better

You have nothing to "learn".

You already *know* what to do, you just need to ... y'know ... actually do it.

The Doc is yet another in a looong line of excuses " I'll *really* (for reals!) quit this time if I'm seeing a Doc) that you really don't need.

Just do what you know you need to do.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

You have nothing to "learn".

You already *know* what to do, you just need to ... y'know ... actually do it.

The Doc is yet another in a looong line of excuses " I'll *really* (for reals!) quit this time if I'm seeing a Doc) that you really don't need.

Just do what you know you need to do.

Easy Peasy

ok

i recently tried to quit and quit my quit. i want to get better. i need to learn how to handle my anger and frustrations and stress levels better - but sometimes i feel as if that is such a far cry for me. the longest i had gone with a quit was 22 hours up until a couple of days ago. i was reaching 55 hours and my anger got the best of me. i went outside and smoked. my fault, my doing, and i am owning up to that.

what was worse was my husband had left for work super early this morning and i found a note on the counter from him with his vaporizer laying on it that said: be strong we can do this. i had to call him and let him know that while he had finally gotten on board with quitting, i had relapsed and failed.

the point i am trying to make is that i am 34 and have been a smoker for going on 18 years. i need help in doing this and i feel like, after speaking with my husband, i need to see a doctor and seek professional help while doing this. i do not want or care to take medications or anything - i just want to be able to put the cigarettes down and walk away for good. i want to seek professional help to deal with how i felt when i was trying to quit and to also get blood work done to make sure that this quit is not going to raise any other issues that may have been otherwise masked by the smoking. [blood sugar, blood pressure, etc]

has anyone done this before, where they see a doctor prior to their quit?

thanks for allowing me to join here and introduce myself.

Welcome, nervousnellie!  I didn't seek out a doctor to help me quit but it was a doctor who gave me some tough love and told me that I was an addict.  Without that conversation, I don't know where I'd be today.  You're already here.  :)  The best way to quit smoking is to simply not take another puff.  There are many resources here to help you succeed at this. :)

Smoking Doesn't Help Solve Stress

Video discusses how smoking cannot solve stress, and in actuality usually results in making people more nervous in general than if they were former smokers or had never smoked in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5eTa93JSs&index=25&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB

Nicotine Is Nicotine Is Nicotine

Video discusses how nicotine delivered by any source via any route of administration has the full potential of causing relapse to any former smoker or user of any nicotine product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViTfIfHUv0&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB&index=6

Quitting Is More Doable Than Most People Think

The idea that quitting smoking is close to impossible is often perpetuated at Internet quit sites. This video hits home the point that this is a dangerous misconception. Quitting is in fact more doable than most people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtXGwu3uC4&list=PLCDB8BA311D538113&index=6

I'll Quit When...

Why NOW is the best time to quit smoking no matter when NOW is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEiUAFnoqo&list=PLCDB8BA311D538113

• Like 3

thank you so much, MDquitter - i am in VA by the way - small world......or is it?

i have been watching [listening] to joel's video while cleaning around the house all day. i have taken some time off from work, even though i work from home, and have been cleaning tons and listening tons so i can distract myself, haha! thank you SO SO SO much for all of your help and taking the time to respond to me here

• Like 1

Way to go, Nervous! Keeping your body moving, your mind occupied with positive thoughts is a sure bet to KTQ! Try smiling more even if you don't feel like it. Your physicality can change your mentality. Rooting for you!

thank you so much!!!! i smiled a few times. they were devious smiles though because people were outside of the stores today that we went to and they were smoking. i won't lie - i plotted how to get my hands on their packs and run away with them LOL

keeping the quit!

• Like 1